Killed My Trusty 029

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledlung

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. Yes, I am a Newb here.

But I've owned a Stihl 029 for ten years and never had a problem until last week. Don't know what I did. Might have mistakenly thought that 2.5 gallon gas can was a 1-gallon can (unlikely). Might have #@$%d up the oil measurement.

Anyway, the saw seized (and my heart sank) hours after a truckload of logs (4 cords worth) was delivered.

The dealer pulled the exhaust and confirmed the piston and cylinder are fried. He said that between parts and labor costs it wouldn't be worth fixing. The cylinder/piston and other parts would cost about $200. The labor would add at least another hundred.

He said the big problem was the plastic crankcase on the 029. If it were magnesium, the job would be a lot easier. In fact, he said that a failure to properly seal that plastic case would create a pressure leak that would make me look like this:bang:

So I spent the day shopping/comparing/grimacing at prices. A very nice gent at Baileys said they can sell me a new jug/piston kit for $107. That makes tackling the job seem to be at least worth a try.

My question: Is this plastic case sealing stuff really something to fear? And if I don't fix the saw, should I steer clear of new units that have this design? I know darn well I'll be more careful with the fuel mix no matter what choice I make.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Hi all. Yes, I am a Newb here.

But I've owned a Stihl 029 for ten years and never had a problem until last week. Don't know what I did. Might have mistakenly thought that 2.5 gallon gas can was a 1-gallon can (unlikely). Might have #@$%d up the oil measurement.

Anyway, the saw seized (and my heart sank) hours after a truckload of logs (4 cords worth) was delivered.

The dealer pulled the exhaust and confirmed the piston and cylinder are fried. He said that between parts and labor costs it wouldn't be worth fixing. The cylinder/piston and other parts would cost about $200. The labor would add at least another hundred.

He said the big problem was the plastic crankcase on the 029. If it were magnesium, the job would be a lot easier. In fact, he said that a failure to properly seal that plastic case would create a pressure leak that would make me look like this:bang:

So I spent the day shopping/comparing/grimacing at prices. A very nice gent at Baileys said they can sell me a new jug/piston kit for $107. That makes tackling the job seem to be at least worth a try.

My question: Is this plastic case sealing stuff really something to fear? And if I don't fix the saw, should I steer clear of new units that have this design? I know darn well I'll be more careful with the fuel mix no matter what choice I make.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Yes, you might wish to avoid this design in the future and this might be a sign that it's time for a new machine. A 361 would be a fine replacement.

But at the same time, for a hundred bucks and change it might be worth trying to fix your saw if you're not in the mood to buy a new saw right now. Even if it is then used for backup duty only, it is definitely worth a hundred bucks to get it running again.

computeruser said:
Yes, you might wish to avoid this design in the future and this might be a sign that it's time for a new machine. A 361 would be a fine replacement.

But at the same time, for a hundred bucks and change it might be worth trying to fix your saw if you're not in the mood to buy a new saw right now. Even if it is then used for backup duty only, it is definitely worth a hundred bucks to get it running again.

Thanks for the reply. While at the Stihl store, I grabbed a catalog and a pen. But I stopped jotting down prices when I got to the $509 MS 260 Pro. I got a feeling the 361 is way over my non-existent budget, but the other pro models of lower price lack the hp of the 290, it seems.

Back to the rebuild ... From what I've read (not much) it seems the only big hassle involved is getting loose the Torx headed screws that bolt the cylinder down. I might as well start tearing her down anyway. Nothing to lose at this point.

ledlung, where are you in jersey? I haven't seen any stihl dealers around here and was wondering if you are in this area, where it is.

I have a few pics of a dissassembled 290, if that would help.

Andy

computeruser said:

computeruser hit the nail on the head! I wouldn't have a problem spending $150 to maybe $200 to get my 029 fixed, that's just me though. Any more then that I'd look at the Husky 359. If I didn't mind spending the extra money then I'd look at a Husky 357XP or a Stihl MS361. But the 359 really would be all the saw I'd ever need. I can say the same thing about my 029 too, mine has been great!

I've had great luck with locktite gasket eliminator for sealing saw cases. This stuff is very tough, very durable and makes up for screw-ups in the sealing process.

My advice, sell the saw on eBay and buy a new one...skip christmas, the kids won't mind. LOL

DOLMARatOs said:
I've had great luck with locktite gasket eliminator for sealing saw cases. This stuff is very tough, very durable and makes up for screw-ups in the sealing process.

My advice, sell the saw on eBay and buy a new one...skip christmas, the kids won't mind. LOL

Whoops. Looks like I posted this same thread twice. Sorry folks.

I was planning on skipping Christmas anyway ... to buy a laptop, not a new saw!

twoodward15 said:
ledlung, where are you in jersey? I haven't seen any stihl dealers around here and was wondering if you are in this area, where it is.

I'm near the Sussex/Warren border right betwixt and between two Stihl/John Deer shoppes (extra p added on purpose).

ledlung said:
Whoops. Looks like I posted this same thread twice. Sorry folks.

I was planning on skipping Christmas anyway ... to buy a laptop, not a new saw!

Can't cut wood with a laptop! Get a slide-rule and a new saw.

You DO NOT want a laptop.
Seriously, You will end up like me, sitting up all hours of the night, posting messages and buying chainsaws and stuff off ebay, baileys, etc, etc.
This laptop has cost me a fortune!!

:ices_rofl:

ledlung, check out a Husqvarna 359. You can buy on on-line with a 18 inch bar (if that's your thing) for as low as $410 plus shipping to $490 locally. If you have a few Husqvarna dealers in your area you might be able to do better then $490.

The 359 makes basically the same power (3.9 hp) as the 029 (3.8 hp). It weighs about a pound and a half less. I bought my 029 in 2000. Stihl had the weight listed at 13.5 lbs. not 13 lbs. as they do now with the MS290. The 359 has a much better air filter system. Better anti vibration system. It has a pro saw magnesium case. I went to look at a Stihl MS280 and ended up liking the Husqvarna 353 quite a bit more, for all the reasons I've listed about the 359. Plus the 353 felt a lot better to me. I'm not brand loyal at all. I like some Stihl models and some Husqvarna models. Just something to think about!

musch said:
You DO NOT want a laptop.
Seriously, You will end up like me, sitting up all hours of the night, posting messages and buying chainsaws and stuff off ebay, baileys, etc, etc.
This laptop has cost me a fortune!!

:ices_rofl:
What's really ironic is that, only a few months ago I was drooling over a brand new Husky: A TE610. This, too, cannot cut wood but I'm sure it wheelies pretty impressively.
Then I came back to earth and bought a washer/dryer combo instead.:cry:

ledlung said:
Thanks for the reply. While at the Stihl store, I grabbed a catalog and a pen. But I stopped jotting down prices when I got to the $509 MS 260 Pro. I got a feeling the 361 is way over my non-existent budget, but the other pro models of lower price lack the hp of the 290, it seems.

Back to the rebuild ... From what I've read (not much) it seems the only big hassle involved is getting loose the Torx headed screws that bolt the cylinder down. I might as well start tearing her down anyway. Nothing to lose at this point.

At my place the MS361 retails for $589.95. $ 509 is a little steep for a MS 260. I do work in a different market so that could be the difference.

ledlung said:

The MS270 that I have out cuts the 29 that I use to have and it is lighter and more comfortable to run. 1/4 hp less then 029 but higher rpm saw with a lot of pro features.

ledlung said:

I agree with computeruser, but if the 361 isn't an option let's think about some others. You can swap a 310 (not 031!) or 039/390 piston and cylinder on there. They have the same case and components, but differing bores. This would be an ideal time to swap out to a larger displacement. I don't know if Bailey's have them or not, but you can find them on ebay, or very likely, one of the site sponsors here.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back