Kiln firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sold my old forklift to a guy who was building a kiln to dry lumber, but why would one use a kiln for firewood? And at what temperature would you hold it, and for how long?

I sold my old forklift to a guy who was building a kiln to dry lumber, but why would one use a kiln for firewood? And at what temperature would you hold it, and for how long?

For some reason I'm thinking 180 degrees for 40 hours but don't take that to the bank.

In quarrantined areas, its the only way you can sell outside your area (town, county etc). Also, its always seasoned enough to burn well. Mostly, it looks like something occaisional burners would be interest in (no bugs, etc).

There is an outfit near me that sells it for $300 a cord. He says it sits in the kiln for a week. I don't remember what the temp was.

"The wood remains in the kilns for 2 days at over 160 degrees; removing over 1000 pounds of water from each cord. This in turn increases the firewood's burning efficiency by nearly l million BTU's per cord over green firewood, and increases the heat value by 25%. The kiln dried firewood is dried to an average of 25% moisture content. " -- Colton Enterprises, Inc. - Pittsfield, Vermont

Two days at 160? Hardly seems like a kiln. But what do I know. I remember as a kid my grandmother had a ceramic shop and a kiln in there was hot enough to melt glass.

So the question is now, is the kiln heated by wood?:confused:

kiln

Hi, The one I built is, a wood fired forced air furnace, it works really well and keeps the kiln at 200 degrees with using all my scrap wood and drop offs from the tree companies. The downside to this setup is I have to fill it 5-6 times a day, labor intensive but cheap, alot use propane fired, just set a dial and done, very expensive but no labor. I heard it costs 100 dollars a cord to dry firewood in a 6 cord kiln with propane.Prices around the NYC and S CT. are 250 to 290 a face cord, I'm finding that most companies don't dry the wood themselves but have it dried in Vermont, New Hanpshire and have it shipped down in trailer loads.

"The wood remains in the kilns for 2 days at over 160 degrees; removing over 1000 pounds of water from each cord. This in turn increases the firewood's burning efficiency by nearly l million BTU's per cord over green firewood, and increases the heat value by 25%. The kiln dried firewood is dried to an average of 25% moisture content. " -- Colton Enterprises, Inc. - Pittsfield, Vermont

An average of 25%!? I just split up some green Ash and it was only at 30% May as well save yourself the dough and just let some Ash sit for a month or so.

Guess I would also expect that they would dry it down further than that. Seems like it would still burn wet at 25%

Found this for New York. Tom on L.I. may know more.:clap:

New York
• All species used for firewood are regulated
• All trees that are processed into firewood must be from
named source and grown within 50 miles prior to being
obtained by the producer
• 50 miles chosen for consistency with known firewood
distribution patterns and cost of fuel to move beyond 50
miles is prohibitive and general pest distribution within an
area
• If transporting within 50 miles, NY source, personal use (not
for sale), can use “Self‐issued Certificate of Source” declaring
location of firewood origin
Treatment: kiln‐drying 71C (160 F) at core for 75 minutes.
• $250 fine, plus a $100 civil penalty and up to 15 days in jail;
firewood producer's source certification is necessary
National Plant Board 2010 Indianapolis, Indiana W.

I have red oak that blew down a year ago August. I cut it last fall and winter(60 full cords), split it this spring and tonight, 10 minutes ago, it was at 21% moisture content. That is good old fashioned air/wind/sun drying.

I would have to think a kiln is going to get better results than 25%.

Ted

I have red oak that blew down a year ago August. I cut it last fall and winter(60 full cords), split it this spring and tonight, 10 minutes ago, it was at 21% moisture content. That is good old fashioned air/wind/sun drying.

I would have to think a kiln is going to get better results than 25%.

Ted

When it first comes out, sure, lower percentage, but I bet it creeps back up a little. It's never going to be as dry as fresh dried, most places anyway, with somewhat normal hunidity.

I think it is just as much for the bugs as drying the wood.

I like the idea though. A lot. Had a thought to build one to dry wood, using uglies and whatnot or fuel, plus run the exhaust with the heat and moisture into the greenhouse in the winter. Never got beyond the thinking about it stage, as I suck at welding. No, it is worse than suck. I am the posterboy for epic fail at welding. ;)

I know there's enough junk around here to build one though. There's some old bulk fuel tanks could make a furnace or boiler, and plenty of scrap wood and sheetmetal for the heating area structure. Then just some ductwork to the greenhouse.

Back