Kind of narrowed it down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D&B Mack

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
Last week I went and looked at 4 different brands of 40 cc saw's

Dolmar
Poulan
Tanaka
Stihl

The thing that got me was the pricing

Poulan $169
Tanaka $189
Stihl $299
Dolmar $449

001.jpg

Guess that is why it has been there, and the 1" of dust sure ain't helping matters.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

Dolmar
Poulan
Tanaka
Stihl

Poulan $169
Tanaka $189
Stihl $299
Dolmar $449

001.jpg

Not so odd when you consider the Dolmar is borderline to a pro saw, while the others likely are crappy consumer saws...

Of course you should have been specific regarding the models, as the rough cc size hardly tells the full story! :msp_rolleyes:

Last edited:
nstueve

nstueve

Makita Freak!
I've thought about buying used, but really don't see where I'd save all that much money by just buying a brand-new MS250.

Used saws have a history. Sometimes it's a good history, and sometimes, not so much.

$300.00 +tax for a brand spanking new MS250 isn't going to break me.

I have to add 2cents b/c I can... Warrenty's are over-rated unless you know nothing about saws and expect to break them sooner rather than later. Stihl will charge you for the synthetic 2cycle to extend your warrenty a year. Synthetic is worth it but the warrenty is not. The Stihl dealers around here are worthless when it comes to warrenties! For the price bracket you're in it's a very common suggestion to look up AS member nmurph. He rebuilds the Husky 346xp/ne's for the price bracket you're in. Professional power and weight with the bonus of a rebuild that usually adds extra power over stock #'s. You're already here and trusting us for opinions... My opinion is find a Pro used saw from us that has had a FULL Rebuild and it will be like buying a scratch and dent washer/fridge... If your mind is wandering off to the 461 you may not be happy with the power of the 250. The 250 will do all you need it to, but a rebuilt 346 Husky will put a smile on your face when you do use it. A well balanced pro 50cc saw is usually all a acreage owner will ever need so you won't go longing for more power later.

Either will serve you just fine... i guess...

Poulan $169
Tanaka $189
Stihl $299
Dolmar $449
Yeah that price on the dolmar seemed high to me. My dealer said he'd get me a 5105 for $395.

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite

Dolmar
Poulan
Tanaka
Stihl

Poulan $169
Tanaka $189
Stihl $299
Dolmar $449

For a PS-420? Heck, they don't even sell them for that high here in Canada. They are usually in the $360-$380 range.

That dealer must have been looking at his PS-510 or PS-5105 invoice when he priced that saw.

McCulloch1-52

McCulloch1-52

ArboristSite Guru
If you're stuck on Stihl, look for a clean used 026 or 260. My dealer talked me into a 290 when I was looking for a 250. The 290 is a boat anchor, and the 250 is just a lighter, less powerful saw. The 311 replaces the 310 which was only a bit more powerful than the 290. I WISH they would have steered me towards a 260.

I hear a few storys like this. Somebody I know wanted to buy a Stihl but the dealer would not sell him the model he wanted so now he owns a Husky, Stihl Dealers should not do this:msp_mad:.

H 2 H

H 2 H

FLASHER
For a PS-420? Heck, they don't even sell them for that high here in Canada. They are usually in the $360-$380 range.

That dealer must have been looking at his PS-510 or PS-5105 invoice when he priced that saw.

When I posted this few days back (alone with the same pic) I had him check his price sheet before I left "The Shop" maybe this is why you don't see this brand of saw here in the PNW that much with the firewood cutters

If you look on Dolmar dealers list you can find "The Shop" listed were I saw that saw and see what the other saw's are priced at and there alot higher than any other brand of saw in all classes in this area

lly_duramax

lly_duramax

ArboristSite Operative
I was in our local Dolmar dealer a while back and they had the PS-420 priced at 349.99. In reply to the OP's question, if you are willing to spend $500 on a 311 why not get a 261 Stihl or a 346xp Husky.
Believe it or not even though they have smaller engines they are just as powerful, and weigh considerably less.

excess650

excess650

Addicted to ArboristSite
I hear a few storys like this. Somebody I know wanted to buy a Stihl but the dealer would not sell him the model he wanted so now he owns a Husky, Stihl Dealers should not do this:msp_mad:.

Imagine that...I still have that :censored:290, but it just sits on a shelf in my garage. I have several other Stihls that I bought since then but all purchased USED. I also have Husqvarna, Makita, and Echo with most being purchased NEW.

For the original poster, I would suggest a Husky 353:clap: or 346xp:msp_w00t: while you can still get a NEW one, or one of the 50cc Dolmars.

1Alpha1

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
I've been checking out some of the Husqvarna's. They seem to offer more saw for the money than Stihl does.

I have a CAL Ranch Store in my area that sells Husky's. They even offer um on sale to boot. I might mosey on over there and take a look.

Too bad that Stihl thinks a lot of themselves. Their prices reflect that.

I have a BMW motorcycle. I know all about the German arrogance. :msp_mad:

Latest posts