Kombi Systems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi Guys
Iam playing with the idea of buying a stihl kombi system.I have been looking at the KM90 powerhead.Does anybody have this KM90 system? What kind of power does it have?Will it stand up to a workout? Does it have a steel shaft or cable? If you have used this system please post your views so I can make an informed choice.Or are you better to buy individual machines? Also I see they have a blower attachment for the kombi would this be any good with the KM90 powerhead.Thanks Guys

I use the Stihl KM100R with adjustable angle hedgecutter, strimmer and pole saw pruner attachments. The 4Mix engine knocks the socks off the 2 stroke versions in terms of torque, acceleration, fuel economy and noise - so pleasant to use (and I use it a lot...like 6 hours plus per day, several days per week at the moment with the amount of hedge work we're doing). Before, I was using one of the non-combi Stihl motor units (the FS85) and just swapping ends over, but with so much chopping and changing it got to the point that the attachments were getting worn from dirt and grit in the join and they wouldn't tighten on the end of the shaft properly so I had to wedge in bits of plastic. This shouldn't happen with the combi system as the clamp can tighten down further and is also out of the way of muck and grit. I still keep the FS85 as back up though...just in case....but as it is the KM100 has been running perfectly.

The KM90 is 0.1hp below the KM100 - not sure if that would be significant....but the KM100 certainly has heaps of power. Solid steel shaft (not cable).

I HONESTLY don't think you'll be disappointed. Certainly one of my best purchases for work.

Good info

Thanks Pete M. for the very detailed overview of the stihl kombi system.I am wondering what loss of power there would be between the 100 and the 90 engines.I believe they are both 4 mix. Do you think maybe the KM90 is a cable instead of solid steel shaft?Maybe someone will reply that has the KM90
Thanks Again Pete

X2 on the positive review on the Stihl Kombi system. I use one daily that has the 110 motor, so far I have the pole saw, extension, weedeater, hedge trimmer, edger, tiller, and the best of all, the blower, I am running the gas out of my backpack blower right now, and plan on getting rid of it this fall, because it is that good.:jawdrop:

this is actually one of my next purchases. talked it over with my stihl guy and i think im going to get the 90 powerhead, pole saw, 2 extensions and the blower. im not gonna tell you the price lol. the blower for the kombi moves more air faster than the stihl backpacks..... the extensions are the same material as the extendable pole saws..... and the 90 powerhead is just a tiny step under the polesaws ive used....

climbinarbor the way you are talking about the price it is either really expensive or you are going to get a good deal on this set up.I will tell you that in the town I live in in British Columbia Canada it is really priced high,but I have had only the one price so far from one dealer.I will shop around but I am thinking they will all be in the same price range because Stihl put out a sales flyer and listed some prices along with dealers names, so I do not know if individual dealers will ####er much.Do not know how this pricing works works.
Sawyerdave and yourself seem to have the same opinion on the blower,It looks kind of funny to me,more power than a backpack blower you say.Does the power head drive an impeller in that blower unit?
Thanks Lawrence

One of the local Stihl dealers told me that selling below MSRP is prohibited, but that selling above that is a commonly accepted practice. He pointed at the factory supplied price stickers, and said that if those stickers are not visible, then you are probably paying MORE than the MSRP.

According to that dealer, if a dealer goes around cutting prices, they are likely to loose their dealership with Stihl. I am always the skeptic, but that dealer's prices were lower than any others in the area, and they did have the Stihl logo on every price tag.

One of the local Stihl dealers told me that selling below MSRP is prohibited, but that selling above that is a commonly accepted practice. He pointed at the factory supplied price stickers, and said that if those stickers are not visible, then you are probably paying MORE than the MSRP.

According to that dealer, if a dealer goes around cutting prices, they are likely to loose their dealership with Stihl. I am always the skeptic, but that dealer's prices were lower than any others in the area, and they did have the Stihl logo on every price tag.

According to my dealer, what your dealer said " selling below MSRP is prohibited " isn't true.

They can sell it for whatever they want to.

The truth is most don't want to. Give a price break, that is.

And you can't really blame them.

But my dealer gives pro customers at least 10 % off on everything and often more.
There are 4 other Stihl dealers within driving distance that will not come off a dollar. To anybody.

Good Stihl dealers are hard to find.

Last edited:
Info still needed

Allright my question still remains, is the KM90 and it's attachments a solid shaft.I think the larger engines have been covered from those who have them.ie.KM100 As far as I can see the solid shaft is the only way to go.
Thanks Lawrence

Last edited:
According to my dealer, what your dealer said " selling below MSRP is prohibited " isn't true.

They can sell it for whatever they want to.

The truth is most don't want to. Give a price break, that is.

And you can't really blame them.

But my dealer gives pro customers at least 10 % off on everything and often more.
There are 4 other Stihl dealers within driving distance that will not come off a dollar. To anybody.

Good Stihl dealers are hard to find.

but very nice to have when you do find one.... mine is always going above and beyond for me. he throws me free chains and oils and sharpenings and all sorts of stuff. because he wants me back.

Allright my question still remains, is the KM90 and it's attachments a solid shaft.I think the larger engines have been covered from those who have them.ie.KM100 As far as I can see the solid shaft is the only way to go.
Thanks Lawrence

as i said somewhere, the shaft are real deal holyfield. and the 90 is a great engine

Purchased Kombi System

Well On recommendations from you fellas I yesterday purchased The KM90 Kombi.For attachments I bought the line trimmer and blower ,I am going to use them today and will let you know what I think.$666.00 Canadian with all taxes.

Nice one Pete. Make sure to follow the starting instruction. I start my KM100 first time every time. My boss thinks he knows more than me....I saw him pick up my KM100 and completely fluff the starting and fouled the plug then he started slagging it off and blaming the 4Mix motor. Least it meant I had a few minutes rest and tea break while removing and cleaning the plug.

Well On recommendations from you fellas I yesterday purchased The KM90 Kombi.For attachments I bought the line trimmer and blower ,I am going to use them today and will let you know what I think.$666.00 Canadian with all taxes.

I would be telling them to add a dollar to that price. I won't accept
the number they tried to give me it on a license plate and I refused
it.

Kombi System

Okay Now that the KM90R is home,anyone have any do's and don'ts for this puppy? Tip's ? I have read the manuals over and plan to read hem again before a bit of a workout>I'll tell you that after reading the manual the first time went out and tried to start it.First pull off and running.Put the blower on,which looks like some sort of rocket and with it only revved at about quarter throttle it had lots of woosh.Anyone know exactly how much air this moves or MPH figures?
Thanks Lawrence

Hi Lawrence. I don't know much (or anything) about the blower attachment other than I'd like to give one a go. As for "do"s and "don't"s....
DO make sure the drive shaft is engage properly
DON'T overtighten the screws that hold the tool to the shaft
DON'T overtighten the kombi attachment knob.

Reason NOT to overtighten (particularly the screws that hold tool to shaft) is that the guy I work with is really heavy handed and he overtightened the screws on his hedgecutter attachment a few months ago and fractured the metal. And he did the same on one last week. and he also overtightened the screws on a strimmer head attachment which now won't tighten onto the shaft unless a piece of polythene is wrapped around the end of the shaft first. It's important that the screws are nipped up just tight enough to make for a secure fitting. There is no point in clamping them down as hard as possible.

Also, when you join the two halves of the combi shaft, if it doesn't go right in to the line first time, withdraw the shaft and reinsert (sounds rude!). This moves the shaft inside round a bit so it fits right in.

Check the knob for joining the two halves of the shaft every now and then when in use. I scramble through a lot of trees and shrubs, and the other day had a moment when I lost drive to the strimmer attachment. I thought the strimmer attachment was knackered so took it off and fitted another, still wouldn't work. Then I thought "oh ****...clutch"....before realising that what had happened is that I had knocked the knob slightly loosening it, and the shaft had come partially withdrawn disconnecting the drive.

Last thing I can think of is....IF you do fluff a start.....and it doesn't seem like it's going to go....just whip out the plug, dry it and use a bit of sandpaper to clean between the electrodes. should start straight away when you put it back in. When workmate fluffed a start he just kept on pulling and pulling and pulling, working up a sweat and a heap of stress in the progress, before giving up! Soon as I cleaned the plug, I started it straight away. Only had to do this once in several hundred hours.

Be grateful if you could give some feedback on the blower attachment when you've had a chance to use it more!

KM90R Kombi Powerhead

Hi Pete M
Thanks for posting the great reply.It seems that a lot of tools people use be it power or hand tools there is a an attaching knob or screw and no one tells you snug,that's it snug is all that is needed.So just about everyone wants to reef on it ,myself included .But for some reason I thought go easy on this wing type nut, might strip it or something.So today I will check out the the tool shaft and make sure no dammage is done.I had a bit of a meltdown yesterday thinking that I actually did not get the 4mix motor because there was no 4 mix decal on the orange top side of case.Double checked all stickers and indeed it is a KM90R but I want everyone to know it is a 4mix. Maybe when it came out of the carton the dealer forgot to put on the decal.Pete I will keep you posted on the blower,in the manual it said not to run it flat out for a break in time .
Lawrence

Kombi System Blower attachment?

petesoldsaw -
I'm looking at buying the kombi-blower attachment.

Would you please let me know how yours is working for you?

Thanks!
Chris

Latest posts

Back