Kuuma wood gasification furnace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering the same thing but he is talking about his Yukon, because he doesn't own a Kuuma. Probably should have started his own Yukon review thread.:D

I was considering moving his posts, till I realized that he started THIS thread...

It isn't the most clearly written information though, I'll give you that.

Kuuma vapor fire

Ok guys, I realize I was out of town for awhile but.....I started the whole thread by asking If anyone knew anything about the vapor fire. I stated that I had purchased a Super Jack and then while I was installing it, I saw the Vapor fire you tube video and had liked what I saw. Then I went out of town.... recently I noticed a post that asked me what I don't like about the SJ so this was the answer to that question. Clear as mud? :jester:

JR

Ok guys, I realize I was out of town for awhile but.....I started the whole thread by asking If anyone knew anything about the vapor fire. I stated that I had purchased a Super Jack and then while I was installing it, I saw the Vapor fire you tube video and had liked what I saw. Then I went out of town.... recently I noticed a post that asked me what I don't like about the SJ so this was the answer to that question. Clear as mud? :jester:

JR

Next time someone asks you a question click the little dealy down on the bottom right side that says "reply with quote"!! Then we know exactly what you're referring too!! Clear as water! Or muddy water!:msp_biggrin:

Yukon Super Jack

JR

Ok, I appreciate the advice and I'll use the "reply with quote" to clarify.....and I was a bit incoherent last night at 11:30 because my original reply was "timed out" and didn't make it to post. So I quick typed another one.

To close this thread:

I really, really wish I'd seen the Kuuma prior to buying my SJ furnace. But on the bright side....I spent 1,600. And it works "ok"....Just night quite as well as I had hoped. I will continue to tweak things but I was hoping that tweaking would be minimal. It sounds like the Kuuma needs minimal tweaking!!!!!! I am Envious!!!! Thanks for putting up with my lack of site experience. Jim.

That's allright Jim, not everyone is an internet forum junkie like some of us are.

Thanks for your opinion.

Ok, I appreciate the advice and I'll use the "reply with quote" to clarify.....and I was a bit incoherent last night at 11:30 because my original reply was "timed out" and didn't make it to post. So I quick typed another one.

To close this thread:

I really, really wish I'd seen the Kuuma prior to buying my SJ furnace. But on the bright side....I spent 1,600. And it works "ok"....Just night quite as well as I had hoped. I will continue to tweak things but I was hoping that tweaking would be minimal. It sounds like the Kuuma needs minimal tweaking!!!!!! I am Envious!!!! Thanks for putting up with my lack of site experience. Jim.

It's great! Well not that you're not quite happy with the SJ furnace, but that we got everything ironed out.

But yes. There is not tweaking to the Kuuma. Just watch the outside temps and turn the knob on the kuuma to low-med-high for the required heat. I'm sure I'll never need the high setting, but them therrrrr folks up north will!

1. I expected a lot from the furnace because of all the claims from the company. It is a bruiser and indestructible, but.....It idles a lot and this is a problem if the heat exchanger is engaged because
the draft is poor (no matter what type of chimney your using and no matter how dry your wood is Keith). The only solution to this is to not lock down the ash door handle. (admit it ...you've done it).

2. The "advertised" secondary burn is non existent. If you have perfect conditions and don't use a thermostat, you can obtain something "like" a secondary burn with the combustion fan on and the stove
going at full tilt. The stove will smoke less but....you will have to strip down to your skivvies in the house. The solution? There is none. You guys have seen the air tubes in the newer non catalytic stoves ....until a stove like this feeds air to the ceiling of the firebox in this manner (it has to be at the top where the action is not from a combustion fan down below) there can't be a true gaseous / 2ndary burn.

This stove will last forever. And I'm gonna keep it for awhile now that it's installed, and by the way I put in a 20' insulated stainless liner. professionally installed by....ME. All the pipe and barometric damper installed
by a pro.....ME!

Questions are welcomed....I'll try to be more timely with answers.

Yup, that was pretty much my experience with the Big Jack too.
Sounds like maybe you have yourself a good candidate for CL there! Sell it while it's still fairly new, worth more, I think they sell pretty well.
That what I did, sent the BJ down the road, installed a Yukon Husky, it works a lot better than the Jack line, but I'm sure the Kuumas burn cleaner. I was a little over $2k for my whole install on the Husky (used) including $1250 for a new SS liner kit. I would just have a hard time forking out the $4k or so for the Kuumas, although I'm sure they are a good deal for what you are getting, it's just too much like wine for my beer budget (and we are talking the beer in the white can with the black block lettering that says, "Beer"!) :laugh:
Better get your new Kuuma ordered now, I hear their backlog stacks up pretty quick when heating season starts!

I had initially thought they where a lot of coin as well, comparing it to fossil fuel units. Could get to of them for 1 of these. But then look at good top of the line wood stoves, there almost as much. I was looking at a new hearthstone, I believe it was the Mansfield. They wanted like $ 4,000/4,200.. Way more bang for the buck with the Kuuma. The thing I see with heating appliances, They last a long time so you better be happy with them or that's a long regret period. If you plan on burning wood temporarily, or just getting the feeling if you would like the work that goes along with them. Then cheap is the way to go. If I burn till I'm 60, that's 20 years. So if I only save 2 cords a yr with the Kuuma, that's 40 cord that I don't have to process. Plus 20 years of comfort, and effortless operation. The extra $2-3,000 would then be priceless.

Back