Labeling Wood Piles Idea

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My firewood all goes in the shed. Seasoned, standing dead on one side, green and heavy on the other. I can I.D. most of the wood in the shed long after it's been in there, sometimes I can't. It's all firewood.

Paint the end in a simple color code, ie. Red for hard woods and blue for soft woods.
The laminated cards stapled to the end wouldn't be too much trouble if you want to break it down to species/date, labeling as you split/stack while still fresh in your mind.
just my .02 cents.

I have over 100 cords of 5 different species cut anywhere from 14”to20” in stacks all over the place.
I try to keep each species in one area but sometimes I run out of room and I need to put other wood in that area. I can pretty much tell you what it is, without looking at the card.
But customers want to see a tag showing its been seasoned.

That way if they ask for red oak at 18” I can find it and they can see by the age of the card that its been sitting there for awhile.

My customers al tell me when they buy from others that don’t know what there getting.
All my wood is stacked in ¼ cords so it makes it easy for them to see exactly what there getting.

I get a lot of complements on how well my yard is kept neat and orderly.

I have over 100 cords of 5 different species cut anywhere from 14”to20” in stacks all over the place.
I try to keep each species in one area but sometimes I run out of room and I need to put other wood in that area. I can pretty much tell you what it is, without looking at the card.
But customers want to see a tag showing its been seasoned.

That way if they ask for red oak at 18” I can find it and they can see by the age of the card that its been sitting there for awhile.

My customers al tell me when they buy from others that don’t know what there getting.
All my wood is stacked in ¼ cords so it makes it easy for them to see exactly what there getting.

I get a lot of complements on how well my yard is kept neat and orderly.

You have then 400 different stacks?!? Wow, pics!!! We need pics!

I cut and split my wood and throw all my split pieces on a big ass pile. Sometimes I get to stacking, sometimes I do. When I do stack usually my stacks fall over, so what's the use. My pieces range from 6" long up to 22" long. From the pile when it gets cold outside I throw the wood on my gator and throw it in my basement.

My wood burns and does a good job of keeping my house warm.

I do this all without a Mingo, tarp and labels:hmm3grin2orange:

I cut and split my wood and throw all my split pieces on a big ass pile. Sometimes I get to stacking, sometimes I do. When I do stack usually my stacks fall over, so what's the use. My pieces range from 6" long up to 22" long. From the pile when it gets cold outside I throw the wood on my gator and throw it in my basement.

My wood burns and does a good job of keeping my house warm.

I do this all without a Mingo, tarp and labels:hmm3grin2orange:

WHAT !?!? NO TARPS?!?! You'd never make it as a Cunukistanian. :eek2:

WHAT !?!? NO TARPS?!?! You'd never make it as a Cunukistanian. :eek2:

The snow that's on my wood seems to quickly seems to melt once I throw in in my furnace.

Nothing pisses me off more than having to shovel snow off a tarp to get at my wood

The snow that's on my wood seems to quickly seems to melt once I throw in in my furnace.

Nothing pisses me off more than having to shovel snow off a tarp to get at my wood

have you tried to turn up the oiler on your saw to make the wood more oily to enhance burning yet ?

Last edited:
How do you think I get rid of my used motor oil?

It repels water and makes my wood burn hotter

Genius, do you label as ceosote or penta treated?

power pole or telephone?

last date in service?

how long do you season?

it will burn much better if precisely measured and cut to length then split and stacked.

must be tarped or otherwise covered to extract the full btu potential.

:chainsaw: "I have a potty mouth", GAL, HAND

Genius, do you label as ceosote or penta treated?

1. power pole or telephone?

2. last date in service?

3. how long do you season?

4. it will burn much better if precisely measured and cut to length then split and stacked.

must be tarped or otherwise covered to extract the full btu potential.

:chainsaw: "I have a potty mouth", GAL, HAND

1. I don't label, it's wood, it burns

2. Depends, some were in service right before I cut them down

3. It's wood, it burns. Seasoning wood takes up valuable space in my yard

4. We are talking about wood, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get the job done. Hell, I'm even capable of doing it

i plan on building a splitter with a laser engraver to mark each split with species and timestamp.

:rock:

just bustin your chops guys. i can see where keeping wood seperated if you're selling, because of some being more valuable than others. as for personal use it just seems a lil anal.

1. I don't label, it's wood, it burns

2. Depends, some were in service right before I cut them down

3. It's wood, it burns. Seasoning wood takes up valuable space in my yard

4. We are talking about wood, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to get the job done. Hell, I'm even capable of doing it

but G you're missing out on the thrill of carefully measuring and stacking neatly so you can take pics to hang on the wall next to your woodburner.:msp_wub:

How do you think I get rid of my used motor oil?
It repels water and makes my wood burn hotter
The used tires are saved for getting my telephone poles and railroad ties to burn
No, I don't think I'm missing the thrill

Hey Genius… Where the hell were you when I was taking heat for used old and tires???
These guys were making me feel like some sort of alien… but they’re letting you slide??
Man, I get no justice from this place!!!

I’m startin’ to think you guys don’t like me :(

To the OP,

We just burn recreationally, and have 'a pile'. Don't go through much a year.

But it seems like you have two approaches:

- label the wood with tags, paint, section dividers, etc.; or
- make a 'map' of your storage stacks with 'addresses' for each location.

The latter is how computers, and some warehouses, keep track of what they have. You can look at your map and see that you have cherry from 2011 in row 1, section 3. When you use that up, erase it on your map.

This way you can see what you have in a specific location, and you can also search for a specific type or age of wood in your 'inventory'.

JMHO

Philbert

Hey Genius… Where the hell were you when I was taking heat for used old and tires???
These guys were making me feel like some sort of alien… but they’re letting you slide??
Man, I get no justice from this place!!!

I’m startin’ to think you guys don’t like me :(

You have you choice of primo wood to the point you discard/ignore grade B and lower, so why would you want to burn waste oil and old tires?

I would find someone who runs waste oil in some old army truck, or runs a waste oil dedicated heater like in a shop, give it away (you never know when a favor might be needed...) and use the tires to help with erosion control, or just take them to a recycler or someplace.

As for used scrap railroad tires and telephone poles, that is the best scrounge you can get to keep your stacks up off the ground. Lay them out, proceed to stacking on them if you want to skip the "add a pallet" step. I just hauled two well used RxR ties home yesterday for that purpose, why would I want to destroy a 20-30 dollar chain to get a few chunks of really crappy wood to burn??? Ever cut up well used ties? I have on landscraping jobs, man..makes stumping look easy. Cut one inch..stop and sharpen..cut another inch, wait for smoke to clear, stop and sharpen and degunkerise the saw, lather rinse repeat. As to burning tires in a big furnace or OWB, why would anyo9ne want to contribute to the anti OWB crowd complaints?

Besides, I think Mr. jeansyouus is just funnin....

Latest posts

Back