Land owner risk waiver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marklambert61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have some landowners that will allow me to cut firewood on there land but want me to give them a release of liaibilty in case I was to get hurt on there land.

Is there a standard form I can use?

What is the legal name for such an agreement?

Where can I get it free?

Mark

I am not sure about a form to use, but a land owner here where I live wanted me to do the same thing. The owner just wrote it out on plain old paper and I signed the thing. I am not sure if it has to be an official form for it to be legally binding.

The owner can get a "rider" on the liability policy to cover permitted uses. Better, loggers will buy a "bond" to cover the owner. Some states also have laws protecting the owner in certain cases of use and liability.....check all of them out.
There are forms for the use you want online....Google it.

I received permission to cut firewood at a construction site near my home. The construction company asked me to sign a "hold harmless" agreement for the purpose of collecting firewood. The agreement states that I won't hold them liable I'm hurt collecting wood. Likewise, having the agreement protects me from being arrested for tresspassing :)

Josh

It doesn't matter who signs what, contracts are made to be broken. Why do you think there are so many lawyers (liars, same same)!
At least in Maine, the State has a liability policy and law that protects anyone who allows recreational use of their property, as long as there is no fee for that use. (DIF&W)

It doesn't matter who signs what, contracts are made to be broken. Why do you think there are so many lawyers (liars, same same)!
At least in Maine, the State has a liability policy and law that protects anyone who allows recreational use of their property, as long as there is no fee for that use. (DIF&W)

Good point!

Nothing in any State is a get out of court free pass, look at the thickest, most useless section of any phone book.

And every State is different.

Best bet for a land-owner would be to at least talk to a lawyer, hard thing to bring up if your trying to score some free wood.

The good thing, most people count on that most people are honest.

Jack, Jack, you're so cynical.....:laugh: :laugh: So true though..:cheers:

Best bet for a land-owner would be to at least talk to a lawyer, hard thing to bring up if your trying to score some free wood.

Best for the landowner, but if he is willing to let you on with a signed waiver, that is a really good thing. Type up something on the computer, print out and both people sign and each have a copy.

I'll PM you tonight from home, what I use. Covers firewood, motrycling, AND CMOA if someone/owner helping me might get hurt.

Side benefit: word of mouth, the owner tells a neighbor about this firewood scrounger guy who is so careful to cover the landowner that he has a waiver.... So the neighbor feels comfortable, voila, access to more free wood.

k

Back