Large tree splitting in middle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taow80

Reaction score
Noob here. I've got a really large old mulberry tree that the trunk is slowly splitting. It's probably a 3-4' thick trunk.

What would be a recommended way to help it? Wrap some kind of chain or strap and tighten it around it? Put a really long all-thread rod through it with big washers?

Thanks for any wisdom!

Attachments

• 20200809_165527.jpg
    20200809_165527.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20200809_165544.jpg
    20200809_165544.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 21
Through rods in the trunk and cables in the canopy.
With an emphasis on the plurals in rods and cables. Most likely a fairly extensive network if you want to keep the tree together. I almost never recommend a support system without some pruning to reduce the load as well. You are likely a few thousand dollars into trying to hold together a tree that is falling apart. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that... How significant is it to the landscape? Does it have other historical value? But also look around: if it does fail, what is it going to hit?

how much do you love the tree?
without seeing the canopy your looking at multiple braces up the trunk, several cabling points and a pretty healthy crown reduction i am guessing, which could get quite costly for initial install and then regular maintenance over time. unless its of significant sentimental or historic value you might just be better off removing it and planting something new. obviously i'm just a guy on the interwebs so my advice is only worth what ya paid for so would recommend contacting a qualified local arborist and have them do an assessment on it.

With an emphasis on the plurals in rods and cables. Most likely a fairly extensive network if you want to keep the tree together. I almost never recommend a support system without some pruning to reduce the load as well. You are likely a few thousand dollars into trying to hold together a tree that is falling apart. Is it worth it? Only you can answer that... How significant is it to the landscape? Does it have other historical value? But also look around: if it does fail, what is it going to hit?

Being that the OP was asking about mitigation only, that’s where my focus was.

A Mulberry of that size is a bit unique, at least where I am, so I was liking the cut of his jib, so to speak.

I’ve read Jeff’s stuff for years, and respect him as an arborist, but I think his reply is much to common.

When a client (or OP) asks for mitigation, that’s the direction I’m going to take until I know more about targets, or investment. Frankly, it refreshing when the conversation revolves around a mitigation first, cut second thread.

Of course, weight reduction pruning would go hand and hand with through rods and cabling.

Latest posts

Back