Larger climbing saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynfawr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some opinions on what larger saws other climbers prefer in the tree.

I'm have a 50CC and a 90CC saw that I like for climbing
I want something to go between them though. Something 60-80CC and relatively lightweight. 70CC seems a logical spot.

The saws I'm looking at are the ms462cm r, the ms500i r, and the 372xp OE

What do you guys like?

I have Stihl and echo dealers around here. One Husqvarna but it's quite far.

I have a husky 372 and stihl 461 (both are very comparable). Can't go wrong with either saw. I've also used a 500i and it's great.

Not sure the price difference between the 462 and 500i but I imagine the 500 is a little lighter and pricer with a little more power. I promised one of my guys we'd get a 500 for his birthday.

Once we have all 3 I will probably just grab the one with the sharpest chain...

sounds like I need to go to the gym! max saw I ever take up is 50cc and that's a rarity.. I am more a ms201T which does most jobs.

You're just smart :p

I don't use the 90cc 390xp all that often, and would use it even less if I had a good 70cc saw :p

I enjoy jobs where the 90cc goes up the tree because they're fun. Lugging that heavy saw isn't the fun part though.

Fair point @mikewhite85
Anything roughly the right size and sharp will do the job, I'm just being spoiled lol.

@ballisticdoughnut @no tree to big
How does the ms400 handle a 24" in something like white oak? Need to be ported?

Thanks for the feedback guys.
It rips we have a bark box on ours it seemed to be a bit better then stock but she's loud. But no I don't think it needs to be ported. It would be awesome if it was tho

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Run all the Stihl commercial range regularly as climbing saws, in the mid size, personally grab the 462 with a 20" light bar, another of my climbers tend toward the 500 with a 25" light bar.

Prefer the simple robustness of the 462 block, you can push it as hard as you like, the saw loves it, the 500 is starting to show some wear after half the time in service than the 462, have to be a little more gentle on the saw.

Aiming to pick up a 400 shortly, thinking that may become a favourite tree saw fairly quickly.

372xp husky with 20” bar is still a staple here. I’m sure there are newer saws that are nice as well, these are just the proven classics to me. I don’t have a lot of time to experiment. If something works, I stick with it.

I use a bucket but my go to big aerial saw is a 2266 Johnny. I doubt if I owned a 500i id let it go up in the air. Its 2x the money of a 372 and for very little gain.

Spoken like only a husky guy could!
Yes I have huskies. But I'm foremost a realist. The 24" bar saw makes 3 to 5 cuts on a tree. Is that 1 pound of weight worth $600?
I spent 1k for a 540i tophandle, have a 200 electric stihl too. Not afraid of new tech, just need to see value.

It is funny, it's easy to spend lots on the big saws that often don't see a ton of use. Bucking on the ground, you don't need to be so picky. Lots of saws will get it done. Meanwhile, the climbing saws do the vast majority of our work, and we can be cheap about them :p

I was flip flopping on trying to get a cs-2511t ported. Seemed kinda silly as the saw itself only cost like $500-$600, so a $300 upgrade seems like a lot.
Meanwhile, it's my most used saw, so of course it's worth it :)

Thanks for all the input guys, gave me a bunch to look at. Probably go shopping after Christmas!

When you are done trying all those, take a Husqvarna 562xp up a tree and report back, you will be pleased.
Jeff
It was a beautiful day!
+1 here. If a 201T wont do it then a 562xp is what I haul up a tree if its a rear handle. On paper the saw is meh, but in the real world its an amazing and balanced saw. After owning one I sold my 372.

Anyone have experience using both the 562xp and the ms462 aloft?

I think those are my two top contenders. Similar weight but different CCs.

The husky is tempting but my Stihl dealer is much closer lol.

Latest posts

Back