Larger climbing saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have NOT used both aloft, but my buddy brings a ms462 up in the tree weekly and that’s his saw of choice when taking up a rear handle.

When using his ms462 on the ground back to back with my 562xp, the ms462 felt a little lighter and more powerful and my 562xp felt better balanced and a little more robust. Just my feeling I don’t know the specs on the Stihl. If the Stihl dealer is much closer and its inside your budget the ms462 is awesome, I would like to own one someday.

How was the 372 the arch rival of a much newer and more modern saw? Auto tune vs carb and the weight difference is significant even more so when taking one in the air. The only advantage the 372 has is price.

OP have you checked the ms400? I’m not sure of the weight and haven’t seen one yet in person but that might be a good option too.

Haven't checked an ms400 yet as when I've asked the shops around here(Ontario, GTA) said they couldn't order them yet.

Thanks for the input on the 562xp/ms462 @Parkerpusher

One thing that interests me is the fuel efficiency of saws. I use aspen premix or motomix a lot of the time and the cost does add up. I like how the saws run on it and less fumes doesn't hurt.

Looking at the German numbers I've seen from KWF https://kwf2020.kwf-online.de
It seems like the newer Husqvarna saws use less fuel than the new stills.

My 390xp drinks fuel pretty aggressively. Enough that it's noticeable.

Not a huge deal, but it's not nothing.
If the 500i was better on fuel it would be even more appealing to me than it already is :p

I handled a ms400cm today at my 3rd dealer stop looking for an odd ball chain. It didn’t exactly feel light but it was wearing a 25” non light bar. They didn’t have a 462 to compare side by side. Price was $950, I paid $1239 for my 462. I’d spend the extra lettuce for the 462 over the 400 but I’d also buy the 400 in a heartbeat over a 372 husky.

Anyone have experience using both the 562xp and the ms462 aloft?

I think those are my two top contenders. Similar weight but different CCs.

The husky is tempting but my Stihl dealer is much closer lol.
462’s and 372xp’s are generally what we take up the tree around my neck of the woods(Southeast AK). I’m partial to the 372-but with your Stihl dealer closest, I’d go w/ the 462. The guys I know w/ the 462’s the last 2 years have told me they have had no issues at all w/ them.

I like both my 562xp and 572xp in the tree. The 562 is a bit lighter and smaller but either one do a fine job when it comes time to run a 24" bar. Unfortunately my 562 is down right now with an oil leak from between the cases.

ported 2511, then maybe a timberwolf with a 25" then 44/46 hybrid, with a 28" elight, then the 064/66 hybrid with a 36" elight. If you want new I would say the 462 with a 28" elight would be a nice midrange step up. I used to chunk spars with my timberwolf just fine. The 500i is kinda meh for its ccs and drinks fuel like crazy but its snappy for limbing and bucking.

I personally use my ms400 as my go-to rear handle for climbing. As far as stock power, it compares to a Stihl 440 or a 372xp IMO...really strong little saw. It's considerable lighter than either of those. I also own a couple of 044s, a 372xt, and a 500i, and I rather climb with the 400.

Mines got the wrap handle kit and runs either a 25 or 28" Stihl lightweight. I made my own front muffler cover, reminiscent of a bark box. I also ported it and bumped the compression up on it, it's really a good running saw and hard to go wrong in its present form.

Back