laser pointer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it would be nice to have a laser powerful enough to burn lines into the tree bark. That way I wouldn't need to remember what to cut and what not to cut. After a customer agrees on what to cut, just mark it. I don't know if this is too out of this world, or could it actually be done, and how if anyone knows.

thanks for an Idea. Is this what you do? Does this prove to be very practical ? is there an app that allows to do that?

Instead of just using a laser pointer I use a "Disto" it's a laser pointer and a distance finder in one kit, kind of like a range finder. There are lots of different models and makes. Bosch & Leica are the two brands I'm familiar with and they seem to be fine.

Instead of just using a laser pointer I use a "Disto" it's a laser pointer and a distance finder in one kit, kind of like a range finder. There are lots of different models and makes. Bosch & Leica are the two brands I'm familiar with and they seem to be fine.
What is the advantage of using that ? How exactly do you use it?

What is the advantage of using that ? How exactly do you use it?
Point it at any object and it can tell you how far away it is and depending on which one you buy and its internal programming it can give you the dimensions of a given area or the length/height of a tree.
I think of them as tape measures where I don't have to hold the end of the tape measure.
And I don't have to enter a danger area to determine any physical information I might need to provide a solution.

Wow, that's an Idea right there! Thanks. do you also use it to annotate which branches to cut?

I know that some of them can take pictures but you will need to research which ones do so try out the leica range "Disto" to start with and work from there. I primarily use it in an underground mining environment but we also use it for surface mining operations.

Seems like the best app to use is Clarisketch. it does exactly what we want plus it records audio as you make your annotations and then plays it back as any video. it can be shared too. this has a zoom feature , but it has to be turned on in the settings. this thing is amazing. Defiantly worth a try. Took me a while to find it, hopefully you guys find it useful as well

I have had about 5 lasers ranging from 3 to 99 dollars. The most powerful one was able to light a match from a few feet away or pop a balloon. The hottest ones I have found are the purple/blue ones but the green are typically the brightest. As of now I am using one that was 12 dollars and runs off a 3.7 volt 18650 battery which cost me the same as the light but lasts a long time. I have never had it die on me to tell the truth since I usually take the battery out to recharge every couple days and don't play around with it much. I can light up a sign a mile away and hit the foothills with it about the same distance away. It came with a battery charger which was a joke since the battery was to long to fit in the charger an I am referring to the cheap china made battery that was included with it for free. I had one similar to this a few years ago which just finally stopped working. The worst ones i have had experience with use 2 AAA batteries and cost less than 5 dollars and work fine as long as the target is less than 200 yards away. The slightly more expensive one I use is almost identical to the one that cost like a hundred dollars 2-3 yrs ago except the expensive one has a attachment with 7 different effects such as making a bunch of birds/mushrooms/apples/ that will spin around the center object as the user rotates a piece that looks like a focusing adjustment. My current one has a 301 numbering on it I believe and is practically as bright as the one that cost 8x a few years ago. I wouldn't buy a expensive one again since they all either get lost or broken eventually and I am not trying to start any fires. I have a few expensive flashlights tho costing up to 250 dollars for my xtar D35 which is waterproof to over 100 meters and very bright while shaped perfect if you ever need to use it as a club which it will survive since its been dropped off the table on concrete more than once. The price included 3 high quality 18650 batteries as well as a carrying case.

Back