Late Christmas present to AS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lotta times you'll get water out of big old broken-topped trees. The heart rots out and then fills with rainwater. When you cut it, that standing column of water just follows the easiest path out. First time I saw it was in an increment borer. I pulled the sample out and it just started pissing. Of course, it was a fat ~200' DF and it took an hour or so to drain. I made my measurements on the rest of the plot and the thing was still pissing when I left the plot. Made a mess of my borer. Used DEET to cut the pitch. I've seen trees piss like this several times since, always with broken tops.

Awesome vid. Thanks for sharing! I had this one in my favorites, but enjoyed watching it again:rock:

Hey Bradley!.......I want you to learn something today!.......They pounded in their first wedge too early.......As soon as you tighten the wedge up you loose the feel of the tree.......IMO he should've set it loosely(dangling) and watched it move up or down before pounding in the wedge........if the wedge raises slightly, then pound it in......if it drops it's lifting........I got where I just watched the slit open and close, and it made me much faster on the stump. Only cost me a few times! Hahahahahahaha!........and did you notice he had a small plug in his backcut? That will sometimes make you pay with unneeded wedge pounding. You literally have to break that wood by pounding in your wedges if that woods not cut. Some would've made sure that plug was cut from the undercut before going to the backcut. Something you want to avoid "if possible" is alot of heavy wedge pounding on a big tree. That will wreck your day.:msp_angry:

Last edited:
Cool video, I found one on you tube worth watching if you have never seen it. Search"Helping my partner on a big one" I watch it over and over

it's an alright vid, seen it before. if you want to see something really impressive check out jasha's video where he felled a 7'2" doug fir snag with a 066 and a 42" bar. he makes it look amazingly easy, beavering around the tree with his face cut and back cut. perfectly lined up corners and no time wasted. and it's on wonky ground....and he does it correctly, starting from the high side. it's really a how to on falling trees much larger in diameter than your bar length.

How about a link. Would love to see it!

Welp it's back to work tonight.

Been great hanging and bench racin' with all here.

I curious, what next you do with that tree? Cut in pieces and transport by truck to sawmill? :msp_smile:

vids like this make me want to grab my saw and walk out into the woods for the day...:msp_thumbsup:

Those real loggers arent wearing that gay helmet with face shield, but yet i see someone cutting up 6" oak with one on.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

[video=youtube_share;RrGkn1O6AM8]http://youtu.be/RrGkn1O6AM8[/video]

Damn thats looks fun. I almost went out west to try out for the smoke jumpers when I got out of active duty Army(was a paratrooper). Ended up starting a family instead and going full time Guard.
That guy sure makes droppin those big trees look easy, which I'm sure it isn't. Must suck breathin in all that smoke though. I do know what its like humpin alot of gear around in high heat-not that fun.
Thanks for posting.

Back