Latest 50cc saws seem a lot stronger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I noticed the latest crop of 50cc saws (MS261/346xp) seem about 20% up on power compared to earlier editions - certainly compared to 10 years ago.

I know they've gone strato/xtorq and have cat mufflers - but I didn't think any of that was good for power, just for emissions - EDIT - or maybe they haven't gone strato/xtorq?

So - in simple terms (for me) - what's caused the big increase in power?

Last edited:
I do not believe the 346xp is strato. You can also get the 346xp non cat as well.

Ok - I'm not really up on the latest saws - just assumed they'd all gone xtorq/strato. Guess not.

Still - my question is - what's changed on these small saws to get them up from about 3.2HP to 3.8HP?

The specification sheet in my owner's manual for my Dolmar 5105 states 3.9 hp. I have the one with the 14500 rpm coil.

I can't say that I could feel one-tenth of a hp or not, but after running that saw, I could believe it's nearly 4 hp.
That saw really runs, and it's silky smooth, and the vibration is very low. It's a great saw from my viewpoint, and will handle anything I have around here.

I'm not a saw expert like many of you here, but I am very impressed with what the 50cc saws can do.
The 510 was $100 cheaper, and had 3.3 hp, but I figured that if I'm getting a new saw, I wanted the top performer of the brand for the size category.
I like the power, and the size and weight is not too much.

I'm glad I picked a 50cc saw.

What year did the 346xp become the New Edition?

Is that when the HP went up?

Did anyone post a comparison between the OE and NE to see what the physical differences were that could make the power difference?

Most likely as not I won't understand the answer when I get it - degrees timing etc - but I'd like to try.

What year did the 346xp become the New Edition?

Is that when the HP went up?

Did anyone post a comparison between the OE and NE to see what the physical differences were that could make the power difference?

Most likely as not I won't understand the answer when I get it - degrees timing etc - but I'd like to try.

The OE became the NE is 9/2007. The displacement went from 45cc to 50cc and the power jumped from 3.4 to 3.7hp.

It's not marketing, a stock OE isn't as as strong as a stock NE. Don left off the little tidbit that his saw isn't stock.

No, mine isn't stock,;) but The OE 346xp was very zippy before I ported it. Spent 9 years using it stock.

The NE has a bit more power, mostly in the torque department, not so much in the cutin speed.

I have both and will never get rid of either.

I love a strong 50cc saw! :cheers:

It may not be the case here with saws, but Marketing guys have no problem lying about specifications in order to help sell a product.

Remember the class action lawsuit against the mower manufacturers for making fraudulent horse power claims for 16 years? They didn't get caught until 2010.
It cost them $65,000,000. Ouch.

Last edited:
It may not be the case here with saws, but Marketing guys have no problem lying about specifications in order to help sell a product.

Remember the class action lawsuit against the mower manufacturers for making fraudulent horse power claims for 16 years? They didn't get caught until 2010.
It cost them $65,000,000. Ouch.

I'm not sure we, The Public, gained anything from that lawsuit. Try to find how how many hp a lawnmower has these days. The manufactures won't publish specs anymore due to getting burned in the lawsuit. The old hp specs may have been overstated by a bit, but at least you could compare engines.

The old hp specs may have been overstated by a bit, but at least you could compare engines.

So one manufacturer was willing to push the "little white lie" envelope more than another, what good did that do for the consumer? You can still compare, all have displacement and/or bore & stroke values.

I don't have an opinion either way about that specific lawsuit, but if you have ever worked with upper level Marketing execs, you know they have no problem lying about their product in order to boost sales.

Tony

I haven't run my new 2153 enough yet to be much past break-in, and I'm no horsepower guru, but I'm so far not overly impressed by it. I have a 20 something year old Craftsman/Poulan 3.0, and I haven't run them side by side with same bar and chain or anything, but the new saw doesn't jump off the charts as far as I'm concerned. My 2150 J-Red is nice and its also a dependable saw but it,and the 2153 aren't that far apart that I can tell. May be its just me and I'm too dumb to notice.

I also have 2 950 Olymoics and 2 945's. They are totally differant saws. Heavy but torquee, and other than weight and handling, they are right there also. Some time after the 2153 has 20 tanks through it I'll have to do a comparo. I'll have my bud bring his MS 260 over too.

I like them old loud mag saws growl through wood - unless I'm climbing. Then I want a modern lightweight powerhead and all the grunt it can deliver.

I haven't run my new 2153 enough yet to be much past break-in, and I'm no horsepower guru, but I'm so far not overly impressed by it. I have a 20 something year old Craftsman/Poulan 3.0, and I haven't run them side by side with same bar and chain or anything, but the new saw doesn't jump off the charts as far as I'm concerned. My 2150 J-Red is nice and its also a dependable saw but it,and the 2153 aren't that far apart that I can tell. May be its just me and I'm too dumb to notice.

I also have 2 950 Olymoics and 2 945's. They are totally differant saws. Heavy but torquee, and other than weight and handling, they are right there also. Some time after the 2153 has 20 tanks through it I'll have to do a comparo. I'll have my bud bring his MS 260 over too.

If everything is in order with that 2153 (and there is no cat muffler on it), it should beat the 2150 with a wide margin.

Back