Laurel and Rhodedendron

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernithebiker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi - just wondering if any expert can give me some info on the wood I cut here.
We have 18 acres of woodland (mostly beech, horse and sweet chestnut and oak) which is infested with laurel, here they call it 'palm' laurel and it's correct name is; Prunus laurocerasus. You can see it here; http://www.aujardin.info/plantes/laurier_cerise.php
This stuff is more commonly seen as a hedging plant as it has evergreen, glossy, waxy oval green leaves.
Here it has grown out of control and is killing off the 'nice' trees. So I am clearing it out, but it is BIG job! Size ranges from tiny to full blown tree size, i.e. 20"+ diameter. I have a hangar FULL of laurel logs, and it burns pretty well, dries out OK, but it is almost impossible to split.
Does anyone have any experience of this wood? I am keen to know BTU rating, and overall 'official' performance.
The same goes for rhodedendron, which also grows to giant proportions here - it is less of a problem, but I have logs of up to 12" diameter.
Thanks! (Check out the wood here; www.frenchberry.com)

Back