Leaded Fuel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRWTech

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone still use leaded fuel in their vintage saws? Or use additives in unleaded fuel for the old girls?

I've seen several threads lately relating to fuel/fuel mixes and it just got me wondering.

I believe leaded fuel was necessary in engines with intake and exhaust valves that did NOT have hardened valve seats.

Don't see any need for leaded fuel in a 2 stroke.... :msp_confused:

If you need leaded fuel VP Racing Fuel still has it just google "VP Racing Fuel" :biggrin:

I do use a lead substitute additive in my old John Deere 40 Tractor, because of soft valve seats & guides. All of my other equipment & vehicles have hard seats, etc., and are designed to run on unleaded fuel. All of my equipment is run on non-ethanol unleaded 'clear', farm fuel purchased in bulk at the distributor for off-road use. Same for the off-road diesels, I use dyed farm fuel, purchased by the drum.

It certainly doesn't save a lot of money but the convenience is great. The distributor will even deliver, if the order is over 50 gallons. At today's cost of road fuel, that's a pretty significant deal when you live in a rural area.

Leaded fuel continues to be sold in the U.S. It can be purchased form VP fuels and others. Here in southern NH, Cam2 racing fuel can be bought at Haffners for hefty price. Last time I looked it was about $7.00 a gallon. Saws running ethanol fuel blend need carburetors adjusted richer to account for the ethanol fuel addition.

I believe leaded fuel was necessary in engines with intake and exhaust valves that did NOT have hardened valve seats.

Don't see any need for leaded fuel in a 2 stroke.... :msp_confused:

I didn't any need either on a two stroke engine as far as valves, I guess the more appropriate question would be in relation to performance between leaded vs. unleaded fuel. I didn't know how differently a two cycle engine would behave between the different fuel types.

Not really a matter of any importance, just one of those things I was wondering about while bored here at work instead of out cutting.

In regard to one of the comments, all 100 octane avgas has lead in it. Some airplanes with lower octane requirements use unleaded auto fuel but it has to be alcohol free. Most other engines can use unleaded without any issues. I have heard about soft valve seats, etc for years but have never observed any issues and keep in mind that unleaded fuel has been the norm for the past 35 years or so with the advent of catalytic converters.

The main use for lead in fuel was not as a valve protector (that turned out to be a side benefit) but as a cheap way to increase octane. It is presently not possible to achieve the avgas specification without lead. They have been experimenting with it for years. They have supposedly developed a lower octane unleaded avgas but I have never seen it for sale anywhere. Maybe in California....

Speaking as someone who was around when the switch was made; There was all kinds of dom and gloom over the valves and seats and engine life etc. I never did hear of anyone having any issues with the switch to unleaded fuels except that the higher octane fuels were no longer available (goodby >11:1 compression ratio's). Tetraethyl lead was a cheap octane booster. I believe you can buy tetraethyl lead additives but unless you are just trying to get the octane rating up, why would you?

leaded fuel will tend to make the air fuel ratio richer...so in a 2 stroke you may have to touch up the mixture screws a bit. i think the main advantage of leaded fuel in a saw would be the extra lubrication for the main and crank bearings and small end rod bearing that the lead provides. however the real nice synthetic mix oil we have today might cancel that benfit out. The lead in fuel will eventually clog up your spark arrestor as a too rich oil mix will. If you ran 110 sunoco leaded race fuel for instance in a pro saw lets saw a 036-066 or somthing like that it would give you a wider margin of safety from lean seasure compared to pump fuel if the high speed setting if off. But it is also good to remember that lead in fuel is a type of air borne poison that we breath when we run our prised saws!

sap can

I dont use leaded fuel in my saws... but I do in my race bike. I either get it at Sunoco or Speedway (I like Speedway because it is on its own pump, local Sunoco is not). I too, have wondered if that extra bit of lubrication in leaded fuel help in some of my OPE- but have enough confidence in my oil (Stihl HP) not to bother with it. As much as I like the smell of Cam 2, I would rather not breathe much of it cutting wood (the biggest reason I dont use it).

I buy leaded avgas in ca to avoid ethanol. I've seen threads about how hard it is to get but there are no laws aginst buying it. I just walk up to the public 24 hour pumps at a small airport with my cans. A groundsman suggested I come early or late in the day just to avoid any questions.

Back