leaf blower ???? stihl bg86

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i been looking around and borrow a couple of leaf blower to try from freinds
looks like the stihl handheld is blower pro model is the one im thinking about geting 10lbs instead 22lbs on backpack models
hand held model less performance but much lighter & half the price
anyone own one or use one that has any input i dont want to buy it than wish i got a br600 backpack model---thanks
attachment.php

DISPLACEMENT
27.2 cc (1.66 cu. in.)

ENGINE POWER
0.8 kW (1.10 bhp)

WEIGHT
4.4 kg (9.7 Ibs.)

FUEL CAPACITY
440 cc (14.9 oz.)

AIR VELOCITY AT NOZZLE

Flat:
85 m/sec (190 mph)

Round: 69 m/sec (154 mph)
AIR VOLUME AT NOZZLE

Flat:
610 m3/h (359 cfm)

Round:
780 m3/h (459 cfm)
SOUND PRESSURE RATING
70 dB(A)
Measured per ANSI B175.2

I have the BG 65. It's pretty impressive. I've seen the BR600 in action close up.

It's AMAZING! :jawdrop:

I use my 65 around my 1 acre, which has plenty of oak trees, a maple or 3, some aspens, an ash, and a hickory tree. Plus, I am completely bordered on two sides by woods.

It does the job, but it would be nice to have the BR600.

Frankly, I think the 22 pounds on a backpack would be easier than the handheld. It's ALL on one arm with the handheld.

There is a bit of a price difference, though!

One place I would NOT prefer the backpack - on the roof, cleaning out gutters. I have a low pitch on my roof, so I go up there to clean gutters with the blower. For balance, I'd rather not have a backpack strapped to me. I can drop a handheld if need be.

Last edited:
I too would go for the backpack. They make great snow blowers when the leaves are done. I sold lots of Echo BP's to local car dealers for those days when we got a few inches of light snow. Sure saves lots of sweeping them off...Bob

I've had a BG86 since October of 08 and have had nothing but good luck with it. Use it on my oak leaves and pine needles and it does all I ask of it. Like BlueRidge Mark said it would be nice to have the BR 600. But at about twice the price I couldn't justify the cost. Good luck with your choice.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

I've had a BG86 since October of 08 and have had nothing but good luck with it. Use it on my oak leaves and pine needles and it does all I ask of it. Like BlueRidge Mark said it would be nice to have the BR 600. But at about twice the price I couldn't justify the cost. Good luck with your choice.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

how dose arm feel after useing?
i just used a BR 340 all weekend weird ergonomics felt it was pushing hand one way and twisting my back at diferent angle and the whole back pack kept rideing to one side

mabey newer one are different br 550 600

how dose arm feel after useing?
i just used a BR 340 all weekend weird ergonomics felt it was pushing hand one way and twisting my back at diferent angle and the whole back pack kept rideing to one side

mabey newer one are different br 550 600

Dunno about using a backpack, but with a handheld, you have the pushing PLUS the weight.

But you can switch off if you need to.

When I have a choice I grab the backpack blower every time. Even on small jobs you get done twice as fast.

I have used the BR600 it is very impressive but a little heavy(not a big issue). I have a BG85 which is a little older unit but is the same thing as the BG86. It is a nice little unit and I use it for the smaller areas and a Billy Goat blower for the big areas.

The handhelds are tough on the wrists. I've tried several of them, and can only use them for short periods of time[15 minutes]. But they are nice for small areas like behind steps and fences. I have an old Craftsman electric for small places and drying off the scooters after I wash them

I'm looking to get a new handheld myself. I haven't made it to the Stihl dealer yet. What kind of money are they looking for for the BG 86? I've looked at the Echo's and the Efco's so far.

The handhelds are tough on the wrists. I've tried several of them, and can only use them for short periods of time[15 minutes]. But they are nice for small areas like behind steps and fences. I have an old Craftsman electric for small places and drying off the scooters after I wash them

I'm looking to get a new handheld myself. I haven't made it to the Stihl dealer yet. What kind of money are they looking for for the BG 86? I've looked at the Echo's and the Efco's so far.

I found them $225- 245 new at stihl dealer

Can anyone explain what the difference is between the 65/66 and the 85/86?

Looks to me like the same 27 cc engine. :confused:

Featuring a quiet (65dB(A)) low-emission engine, the new BG 66 L handheld STIHL leaf blower is perfect for cleaning up leaves and debris in noise-sensitive areas. While a stop switch helps take the guesswork out of getting started, a semi-automatic choke lever designed to help prevent accidental flooding ensures easier starts — everything you need to get going with your next cleanup task.

and less hp

Food for Thought

I have a BG55, it's decent, but I wish I'd sprung for the 85 at the time. I never really considered a backpack version, as my lot's not big enough. I'm done in 20-30 min. max.

I was having a little trouble with it not wanting to accelerate, took it into a shop (they can mess with it if under warranty), and when I was just getting ready to go, and older gent wandered over and asked how I liked it. I gave my 2-bits worth, then he says he bought a backpack blower thinking it was the thing to have, didn't like it, wanted a handheld. He found it a little dangerous up on his roof blowing out his gutters, as it has a tendency to throw him off balance. Not a big deal on the ground, but up on a roof, not so fun. I never would have thought of that. I use the 55 to blow out my gutters too, and it's just perfect for that job. Of course, you could argue I'm nuts to be on my roof blowing out gutters in the first place.

Based on his comment, I think I'll stick with the hand-held. Still lookin' for a deal on an 86 though. :)

Last edited:

I could be wrong, but I recall my local Stihl dealer telling me it's the same engine, different carb & muffler. They give it a bit of a performance boost. I don't know about the 65/66, but one of the other big differences between the 55 and 85 was that the 85 had a metal impeller vs the 65/66 having plastic. My 55 has a plastic impeller. I'm not so concerned about this because I won't ever put a vacuum attachment on my 55.

I made that mistake with the crappy little B&D electric blower I had before. After vacuuming up Cedar bits a few times, all of the fins on the impeller were significantly warn down. The big symptom was, it made lots of noise, but moved very little air. It worked out in the end though, now I have a Stihl. :biggrinbounce2:

If I could only have one it would be a big backpack blower. I have a BG86, its great for quickly getting grass clippings and leaves of driveways and walkways. But when I have to move some material my Redmax 8000 is the way to go. My 50cc backpack blower has been in the shed for years since I got the Redmax. The BR600 is a great machine too and will be my next blower.

The engines are all different from the older ones. They are all strato-charged now.

Latest posts

Back