Leaf blowers: stihl versus echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rleonard said:
One other difference on the BR600, It has a static antenna. I used to get shocked with my BR400, especially if wearing a short sleeve shirt. The air blasting thru the nozzle generates a static charge and you provide the path to ground when you contact the clamp. The BR600 has a grounded antenna that eliminates this shocking experience.

Bob

The same retrofit is now available for the BR400>420.

pigwot said:
There were warranty problems (bad seals?) early on with the BR600 blower...has Stihl worked all of that out?

Bad exhaust valve, not seals. They upgraded the valve to Stellite October 2005. Some commercial operators has problem in some parts of the county. Nothing in the PNW though. Stihl has been and still is very generous with warranty claims on this issue.

The 4-mix engine in the blower is sensitive to mix ratios and oil type. Only use Stihl Super at 50:1, not 40:1 or any other mix ratio... If you use the the Stihl Ultra at 50:1, the results are pretty amazing. I run Ultra only in mine.

Chucker45 said:
$449.95 :rock: + a free loaner (BR550) for 2 days because their delivery was delayed.

Dang, the BR600 is a BEAST! It makes you feel like you could blow 2" crushed rock with this thing ;)

It's as easy to start as the BR550, and the same level of comfort. The 600 has way more power. Large piles of wet, moldy leaves, moldy piles of pine needles... no problem. It definitely moves stuff that the 550 won't.

Only 2 potential downsides: the BR600 seems like it drinks more than the 550 (unless more time passed than I was aware of). That's worth the increased power imho.

The BR550 that I used had a tip with a slight angle to it, whereas the 600 had a tip that was straight (nozzel was slightly narrower than the tube). That angled tip on the 550 did make it easier to herd leaves around. I might see about trying to get that part, or if I might just fab a piece of kydex to give the discharge a slight angle.

Needless to say, I'm impressed

Not sure about the gas consumption... The BR550 and 600 have the same engine size and HP, just different fanwheel technologies. You may have been mislead by the fuel pickup location... They've been moving it around and it works correctly when positioned at the muffler end of the tank.

If you need one, the curved tip is available for the 500->600. $7.45 list price.

Lakeside53 said:
The 4-mix engine in the blower is sensitive to mix ratios and oil type. Only use Stihl Super at 50:1, not 40:1 or any other mix ratio... If you use the the Stihl Ultra at 50:1, the results are pretty amazing. I run Ultra only in mine.

Good point, Andy. I run Echo 40:1 in everything except the 090 and Mac. When I bought my 4-mix trimmer a year and a half ago, threre was no Ultra. After 20 hours with the Echo mix, the plug was fouled. The dealer did some sort of soaking procedure on the trimmer to dissolve any carbon. He said than in extreme cases the valves have to be replaced. So now I've got a can of Ultra 50:1 mix for the 4-mix.

Lakeside53 said:
Bad exhaust valve, not seals. They upgraded the valve to Stellite October 2005. Some commercial operators has problem in some parts of the county. Nothing in the PNW though. Stihl has been and still is very generous with warranty claims on this issue.

Thanks for the clarification. The local dealer stated the same thing: no recent problems and those they had run into (mostly last year) were taken care of promptly with no questions. They had three in stock yesterday; just went by and they have none left! So I'll wait a few days...

pigwot said:
Thanks for the clarification. The local dealer stated the same thing: no recent problems and those they had run into (mostly last year) were taken care of promptly with no questions. They had three in stock yesterday; just went by and they have none left! So I'll wait a few days...
If you are serious about purchasing the unit I think that you will really enjoy the power and toughness of this blower.
:cheers:
Robert

Okay, so I have a problem with instant gratification... so I went to the next zip code and found another Stihl dealer and got the BR600 for $10 less: $469. Also bought the HP Super mix oil. Seems the requirement to decoke the cylinder every 139 hours and the static antenna are no longer used. The folks there had just had the Stihl school through yesterday and all the repair staff were regaling me with stories about how the current BR600 is not at all like the original that came out last year. No more wires in the tube...instead they claim Stihl reconfigured the electrical system. Ran it for a lawn and a half today and no shocks...
Very nice blower, but it is so quiet I kept thinking it wasn't running at top speed. Still, it did a great job, even with matted down, muddied leaves.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I assembled about 10 BR600's this week and they all had the anti-static wires... Stihl just released a tech bulletin updating the Br340, 380 and 420 with a similar wire. Not sure it that's production or optional though.

As for the current model being different the early models?? I can list on one hand the changes, most tiny (bumper mounts, fuel grommets etc) , the largest being the substitution of the exhaust valve.

The static shock has nothing to do with the unit wiring - it's when really dry air move fast down the tube, and you act as he grounding... Go out an use it on a really cold day to blow snow..

As for carbon build up - if you use the old oils, it's still a problem. Only went away when the oils changed (Super or Ultra). The valves need checking at 139 hours though.

Oh yes, $269?? Send me all you can at that price. I pay the freight:hmm3grin2orange: o.k., a typo..

Lakeside,
I watched them assemble it and asked about the lack of static antenna wires, and they said the adjustable length tube style units do not have the wires. Were the ones you were assembling the set-length tube perhaps? Yes, it was a typo; I went back and edited the post to reflect the $469 that I gladly paid based on the rave recommendations both here and at Lawnsite.
Another question:They also claimed you can not use the angled tip on the BR600 or it will 'de-tune' the airflow. They claim you will not only get a less efficient output, but that you'll end up with a real dog of a machine. This makes little sense to me, as the opening size is the same, and other than a very small amount of resistance to flow imparted by the angled portion the output should be essentially the same. I'm making an assumption here I know: that aerodynamic flow can be compared closely to hydrodynamic flow. What do you think/know about this?
Thanks.

Oh, and about your sig and the definition of 'experience'. I have a friend who does welding who says, "Experience is the comb life hands you after you've gone bald"

pigwot said:
Lakeside,
I watched them assemble it and asked about the lack of static antenna wires, and they said the adjustable length tube style units do not have the wires. Were the ones you were assembling the set-length tube perhaps? Yes, it was a typo; I went back and edited the post to reflect the $469 that I gladly paid based on the rave recommendations both here and at Lawnsite.
Another question:They also claimed you can not use the angled tip on the BR600 or it will 'de-tune' the airflow. They claim you will not only get a less efficient output, but that you'll end up with a real dog of a machine. This makes little sense to me, as the opening size is the same, and other than a very small amount of resistance to flow imparted by the angled portion the output should be essentially the same. I'm making an assumption here I know: that aerodynamic flow can be compared closely to hydrodynamic flow. What do you think/know about this?
Thanks.

Oh, and about your sig and the definition of 'experience'. I have a friend who does welding who says, "Experience is the comb life hands you after you've gone bald"

You got the newer version of the 600. It has the adjustable tube without the static wire. The tube is now grounded at the throttle trigger to halt static so the end of the tube can be taken off in certain uses. A great improvement on an already great unit. Just goes to show that they listen to what their customers have to say. Now I will have to sell the 6 I have and buy the new ones.

pigwot said:
Lakeside,
Thanks.

O.k., I now know what you have. The extending version of the tube set hasn't been released in our region yet. I sure hope it works better than the BR420 extending tube set (pita - they got stuck in one position quickly!). Maybe they are making your region a test site this time instead of ours! :)

As for the curved tip... I notice no difference in performance on the BR600. Maybe they are talking about puting it on the the extensible tubes, not the fixed tubes?

So.. That's why I'm loosing hair! good one.

Last edited:
i've had an echo 650 blower for a few years, and a redmax 7000.

both are pretty minimal tools to make any money with. if you are moving stuff as a hobby, then it really doesn't matter i suppose.

backpack blowers IMO are one of those things that a bigger one REALLY makes a BIG difference. if you have a blower that will blow a brick around, then you can blow 10 square feet of leaves at a time in very short order.

if you have troubles moving little rocks around, then you are moving 2 square feet at a time.

my next purchase will be a redmax 8000 unless something bigger is out there by next spring.

btw, for testing, really, bring a brick, and blow it around the parking lot.

drmiller100 said:
i've had an echo 650 blower for a few years, and a redmax 7000.

both are pretty minimal tools to make any money with. if you are moving stuff as a hobby, then it really doesn't matter i suppose.

backpack blowers IMO are one of those things that a bigger one REALLY makes a BIG difference. if you have a blower that will blow a brick around, then you can blow 10 square feet of leaves at a time in very short order.

if you have troubles moving little rocks around, then you are moving 2 square feet at a time.

my next purchase will be a redmax 8000 unless something bigger is out there by next spring.

btw, for testing, really, bring a brick, and blow it around the parking lot.
Tested the 600 on a 5lb block of wood before purchasing. Then proceeded to walk past the RedMax and make my purchase.

the stihl blowers are cute. make a nice home owner recreational blower.

Probably I should have clarified. When I said brick, I meant one of those red things about a foot long, 4 inches high, that when you throw them at a truck windshield, they go through instead of just bouncing like a block of wood.

For giggles next time, start up one fo the redmax blowers and see if you can bounce that block of wood off the hood of hte salesman's truck instead of just walking by.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the BR600 has higher output than the Redmax 8000 (be careful with the numbers... Stihl quotes theirs "with tubes installed"). Both are great blowers...

valves?

Lakeside53 said:
The valves need checking at 139 hours though.

What? What do they need checking for? Nice thing about the old BR400 is that it only needs the occasional cleaning/carb adjustment. It just keeps going and going and going...

The 8001 is already out.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but the BR600 has higher output than the Redmax 8000 (be careful with the numbers... Stihl quotes theirs "with tubes installed"). Both are great blowers...
I dont put much weight on the MFG's test numbers as they all use differant test methods. If you go over to ************ you will find that many people say the 8000 is stronger than the br 600. At any rate the new 8001 that just came out will eclipse the 600 on paper AND in the real world. I hear that Stihl also has a more powerful blower in the works to compete with the 8001. Are'nt power wars cool?:rock:

Stihl088stock said:
What? What do they need checking for? Nice thing about the old BR400 is that it only needs the occasional cleaning/carb adjustment. It just keeps going and going and going...

Just rocker arm (tappet) gap. Most never get checked though unless the power is lacking. Yep.. the BR400/420 just has to be the most reliable blower ever made! and even when they are completely clapped out with the piston knocking so loud it's scary, a quick hone,new piston (45 minutes work), and it's good for another 10 years!

bwalker said:
The 8001 is already out.

I dont put much weight on the MFG's test numbers as they all use differant test methods. If you go over to ************ you will find that many people say the 8000 is stronger than the br 600. At any rate the new 8001 that just came out will eclipse the 600 on paper AND in the real world. I hear that Stihl also has a more powerful blower in the works to compete with the 8001. Are'nt power wars cool?:rock:
With power wars everybody eventually wins.:rockn:

Back