Leaf blowers: stihl versus echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked into the adjustable tube version of the BR600. The tubes are now made of an anti-static plastic, but the antenna wire is still available. It's now an option for "dry" (or cold) climates on that model and just clips in the end rather then all the way back up into flex connector.
The other significant thing they added was add a "winter"/summer flap in the back of the air box to decrease carb icing tendencies in cold damp conditions. A retrofit kit is available for older versions.

My Stihl guy didn't even know they'd been released yet! Seems like sales are ahead of forecasts, so it moved out early into the Eastern regions.

Lakeside53 said:
Just rocker arm (tappet) gap. Most never get checked though unless the power is lacking. Yep.. the BR400/420 just has to be the most reliable blower ever made! and even when they are completely clapped out with the piston knocking so loud it's scary, a quick hone,new piston (45 minutes work), and it's good for another 10 years!

Well, I went and did it this week, bought a Stihl BR600, it's just too hard to find a Redmax dealer that's easy to get to and I was leery about buying over the net. I got the Stihl for the same out-the-door price as the Redmax 8001 would have been on eBay.

Lakeside53- This is all your fault!!! Before I read your posts I thought the Redmax had way more power than the Stihl. I hope you didn't steer me into a lemon! Anyway, thanks for the help.

I used it for an hour or so today, the only thing I don't like is the tube is a bit short for us tall guys. It handles wet leaves about the same as my BR400 handles dry leaves, so I'll be exited to see how it works on a dry day.

Snap the extention nozzl eon if you're that tall! heck, the reason they had to made adjustable tubes was so they could be shortened:)

Blow way.. you'll love it.

PS - thanks for the EPA credits to use on big saws!

Lakeside53 said:
Snap the extention nozzl eon if you're that tall! heck, the reason they had to made adjustable tubes was so they could be shortened:)

Blow way.. you'll love it.

PS - thanks for the EPA credits to use on big saws!

That must mean they make an extension nozzle, I'll have to order it I guess.

And Yes...Big saws rule!

we have 4 Echo BR 403's and after one season, they are all whooped. They produced good power for what we needed. Then, towards the end of the mowing season they started breaking down, one by one. I liked them alot, but they just aren't hold up to good. We will probably replace the with the new stihl or kawasaki's. If your a home owner the Echo BR 403 is the way to go.

Stihl088stock said:
That must mean they make an extension nozzle, I'll have to order it I guess.

And Yes...Big saws rule!

Curved nozzle is real cheap... $7.45 around here. Adds about a foot.

It's only slight curve at the tip. No true straight nozzle, but it looks like their might be an extension in the middle you can fit, but it's hard to say from the IPL.. Try the curved "tip"...

Lakeside53- Thanks again for the info!!!

You're going to wanna slap me after all these questions...

What does "decoke" the engine entail? I was reading my manual

The curved tip is longer, but it is a lot more back pressure felt. A LOT! Stick with the straight tip and learn a few tricks to get the blower to perform like you want it to...like bouncing the air stream off a building or solid fence.

Stihl088stock said:

Congrats on your purchase. You will not be sorry. I have six going on two years old with no problems and I have switched to the HP Ultra oil which is supposed to be better for the 4-mix.
Good luck,
Robert
:rock:

Stihl088stock said:

Don't know - never did read the manual.

We've never decoked one yet.. and sold a pile of them... I suspect they are talking about the decarbonizer. Use Stilh Ultra oil and you'lll never get any carbon in there... Definitely dont use Dino oil. If you have too, use the Stihl Super semi-synthetic.

Just Mow said:
Congrats on your purchase. You will not be sorry. I have six going on two years old with no problems and I have switched to the HP Ultra oil which is supposed to be better for the 4-mix.
Good luck,
Robert
:rock:

Thanks, My dealer didn't have any ultra oil yet, so I'm using the super for now.

You've had yours for 2 years with full time use? That sounds great!

I can't wait until mine is fully broken in, it still seems a little "tight"

Lakeside53 said:
Don't know - never did read the manual.

We've never decoked one yet.. and sold a pile of them... I suspect they are talking about the decarbonizer. Use Stilh Ultra oil and you'lll never get any carbon in there... Definitely dont use Dino oil. If you have too, use the Stihl Super semi-synthetic.

Good!, Decoking doesn't sound like something I want to do! -Thanks

Latest posts

Back