Leaf blowers: stihl versus echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucker45

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry if posting this question here is out of line, the questions didn't seem to fit into any of the subforums and I figured leaf blowers are kinda like chainsaws (well, they are small gas powered engine devices you use outdoors near trees). ;)

If I'm out of line posting the Q here I apologize amd mods please move it to the appropriate section.

Stihl or Echo, which seems to be the best for leaf blowers? All the commercial operations I see seem to be using Echo.

What CFM and MPH should I look for in regards to airflow? This would be for WET pacific northwest leaves.

What model should I look for, in regards to durability and comfort (I'm talking about backpack versions, not the hand held wand).

I understand there's the old and new Stihls, the newer ones are the quad force or something -- supposed to be more comfortable, less smoke, less vibrations, higher CFM, faster MPH. My local dealer can get both. He'll cut around $75 off the only old version (that has 170 MPH) they have in stock, and he'd cut $20 off any new version I want. Are the older version solid? Will 170 MPH do the job for wet leaves?

Anything else I should be aware of on the topic?

Anybody know of a landscapers forum like this one lol, I figure they'd be the ones to really know which blowers the best ;)

I would highly suggest checking out the new Stihl BR600. Great machine!! I am not exactly sure of the CFM and am too lazy to look it up right now.....I am sure someone will chime in with it though.

The Stihl is one of the mist comforatble blowers i have worn, and has great ergonomics as compared to the Echo.

Chucker45 said:
Sorry if posting this question here is out of line, the questions didn't seem to fit into any of the subforums and I figured leaf blowers are kinda like chainsaws (well, they are small gas powered engine devices you use outdoors near trees). ;)

If I'm out of line posting the Q here I apologize amd mods please move it to the appropriate section.

Stihl or Echo, which seems to be the best for leaf blowers? All the commercial operations I see seem to be using Echo.

What CFM and MPH should I look for in regards to airflow? This would be for WET pacific northwest leaves.

What model should I look for, in regards to durability and comfort (I'm talking about backpack versions, not the hand held wand).

I understand there's the old and new Stihls, the newer ones are the quad force or something -- supposed to be more comfortable, less smoke, less vibrations, higher CFM, faster MPH. My local dealer can get both. He'll cut around $75 off the only old version (that has 170 MPH) they have in stock, and he'd cut $20 off any new version I want. Are the older version solid? Will 170 MPH do the job for wet leaves?

Anything else I should be aware of on the topic?

Anybody know of a landscapers forum like this one lol, I figure they'd be the ones to really know which blowers the best ;)

The BR600 is da one to get. Super quiet, super clean running, nice thick pads for comfort. 201 mph with 712cfm is enuff for any job you'll be doing. All the landscapers in my area are using BR600's and are very pleased with the machine. Sold a ton of them and to date no problems to speak of. I got one myself and I know it will get the gob done in a hurry. The 4-mix engine on your back running wide open is so much quieter than the older 2 cycles.

The older 420's are good ole blowers but nosiy as hell. Get the new model, you won't regret it.

I've got a BR420 (a true two-stroke "old style" motor) and could easily see why you would want the extra ooph that the 600 has when stuff is wet. You can never have too much power on the wet leaves, as I am sure you know. Mine runs the large-diameter tubes which increases CFM and decreases MPH; I guess that they went back to small diameter this year or something on the true two-stroke models.

The only disadvantage I can see with the new 4-mix motors is increase in the number of moving parts in the engine - valvetrain parts to wear, stuff like that. But the power increase is supposed to be impressive, so I guess its a tradeoff you'll have to weigh out.

BR600. Best airflow of any on the market. It's the only blower other than the Redmax 8000 that will lift those piles of wet big leaf maples leaves you are dealing with! We'll, others will do it also, but this way the job is done in half the time.

If it matters to you, I own one, and I've owned most of the other backpack stihls.

Of course you guys recommend te BR600, their top of the line modle :hmm3grin2orange: You all suck! j/k

What gas mix do the stihl blowers take?

Chucker45 said:
Of course you guys recommend te BR600, their top of the line modle :hmm3grin2orange: You all suck! j/k

I always try to buy the top of the line anything, better resale value most of the time and definately more features.

50:1

Chucker45 said:
No! that would be the SH85 blower vac:laugh:

Get the BR600, it is the best one for your application.
Mix is 50:1
The reason you see a lot of Echo blowers is because Stihl did not have one as powerful as they do now and the most reliable blower ever made in my opinion and the opinion of others is their BR420. Echo does not have anything this powerful at this time. Also the BR600 is only twenty pounds and fits the back very comfortably.:bowdown:
Robert

Don't limit yourself with those two when you could buy a Shidaiwa or Redmax which are pretty much the same machines. Most pros that I see use them. I also have a Robin, which might not have the power to suit you, and a 59cc Echo. The Echo would be my last choice because it's loud and vibrates a lot. All three of them have been very reliable so comfort and power would be the only reason to choose umongst them.
John...........

whatsnext said:
Don't limit yourself with those two when you could buy a Shidaiwa or Redmax which are pretty much the same machines. Most pros that I see use them. I also have a Robin, which might not have the power to suit you, and a 59cc Echo. The Echo would be my last choice because it's loud and vibrates a lot. All three of them have been very reliable so comfort and power would be the only reason to choose umongst them.
John...........
Good post.
The Shindaiwa uses the RedMax engine.
The largest RedMax has about the same power as the BR600 but the disadvantages of it are, more expensive and heavier compared to the Stihl. I tried out the RedMax and the Stihl before making my decision. Could not see enough difference in power between the two to stray away from something I am comfortable with. JMO.

Robert.....

I have a redmax 8000 and love it. If your blowing leaves go big IMO.
Also the ratings used by the manufacturers dont mean squat. Not all use the same test methods so I direct comparision is iffy. Pic abrand and buy the biggest unit as they are all comparable.

I have a BR600 and it is an excellent machine. I certainly reccomend it. I had a BR400 that I traded in on the bigger machine. The 600 is quiet and moves a lot of air and leaves.

Bob

Is the BR600 any easier to start than the BR400/420 ?
How many pulls does it take on avg.? I've always had to pull my BR400 5 times to start it: 3 pulls with choke on, pops on 3rd pull, take off choke, pull 2 more times to start. Once started it runs great. Is there anything that I can do (maybe an inline primer bulb?) to get it to start with less than 5 pulls? Compression is 135 psi, WOT=7600rpm, idle and acceleration are fine.
If the BR600 is a lot easier to start (like 1-2 pulls) I might consider upgrading but if it's just more CFM I don't think I can justify buying a new BR600 when I've got a working BR400. What do you think?

I'm still waiting for my BR600 to come in.

Over the weekend the place gave me a BR550 as a free loaner, so I could at least make my place look respectable ;)

The BR550 was easy to start, 3 pulls on average iirc. It had an inline primer, and I'm guessing the 600 does too.

The 550 was decent. It moved wet leaves with no problem, until they were in a pile -- where it was just a bit underpowered to deal with it. I expect the 600 will be able to do the job.

I found the 550 to be very comfortable, not too heavy, vibration and noise level was great.

I liked the 550, but I'm glad I decided on the 600 because I found myself wanting / needing more power :D

If it was just a start issue, then I wouldn't upgrade (unless you use it a lot). Start time compared to run time is nothing, I'd be way more frustrated by underperformance while running than a hard start. If you need some more CFMs then go for it. Just my personal outlook.

I use the BR400 to blow off my driveway, front porch and rear deck and blow dry leaves across my yard. It seems to have plenty of power. I can't get much over idle around the flower beds or it will blow all the mulch out. I screwed up the other day trying to blow some leaves off the front porch and blew away the door mats and some of our Halloween decorations. Mr. Scarecrow was all over the front lawn before he knew what hit him!
I think it has enough power for my needs. My only complaint is I think it should be easier to start. My Ol' Homie starts with 1 or 2 pulls (doesn't even have a primer and will run with the choke on unlike a Stihl) and has spoiled me. I wonder if there is a way to retrofit a primer bulb on it?

ol'homey said:
How many pulls does it take on avg.? I've always had to pull my BR400 5 times to start it: 3 pulls with choke on, pops on 3rd pull, take off choke, pull 2 more times to start. Once started it runs great. Is there anything that I can do (maybe an inline primer bulb?) to get it to start with less than 5 pulls? Compression is 135 psi, WOT=7600rpm, idle and acceleration are fine.
If the BR600 is a lot easier to start (like 1-2 pulls) I might consider upgrading but if it's just more CFM I don't think I can justify buying a new BR600 when I've got a working BR400. What do you think?

The BR600 will start in one to two pulls every time - it's a 4 stroke and primed though a bulb. BR420/400 should start in two -three - four. You need to advance your throttle with the throttle lock about 1/3.. If not it's like trying to start a saw with full choke but at idle..
An in-line primer will do nothing - the surface area of the fuel is so high that fuel pressure will prime the PUMP SIDE of the carb even without any crankcase pressures. Just try pulling off the carb fuel line if you don't believe me.. The BR600 primes the METERING side of the carb which is why it starts easier.

As for performance... it's night and day.. Not just CFM, but MPH..

Last edited:
Just bought a Stihl BR 600 Friday and let me just say, there IS a difference. It's the most powerful, lightweight, comfortable, fastest blower I've ever used. I use it commercially and in the few yards and parking lots I've used it in thus far I would have to give it an exception, most impressive rating. It's almost five pounds lighter and 100 cfm stronger than Echo's bigggest.

ol'homey said:
If I am fast enough with the choke usually on the first pull. No kidding. And its over a year old.

sure sounds like BR600 is a beast!
but my 420 start fine in 2-3 pulls and still runs great.

Latest posts

Back