Leaf blowers: stihl versus echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
046 said:
sure sounds like BR600 is a beast!
but my 420 start fine in 2-3 pulls and still runs great.
Yeah nothing wrong with the 400 it's just that the 600 will move huge piles.

Same here...

Just Mow said:
If I am fast enough with the choke usually on the first pull. No kidding. And its over a year old.

Same thing with the one I have. Also I find that once you have started it and used it I usually never need to touch the choke for the rest of the day. Good luck with the blower.

There actually is a huge debate on the BR 600 Vs Redmax 8000.....and now the newer Redmax 8001 :ices_rofl: I own a Redmax EBZ2600 hand blower and could not be happier with it. It is another Ford vs Chevy debate really. I read that any issues with the 8000 were addressed with the 8001 and it is da new king :rock: The Redmax carries a 2 year commercial warranty compared to a standard 1 year on the BR 600 :( Even if the 8001 is 5 pounds heavier and cost more........I think it is a better overall product IMO :laugh: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

My old Echo PB-400E just got a carb kit on it, and not more than three days later weak to no spark, looks like magneto or coil or another wire wearing through...this thing has 'nickle and dimed' me for the past four years... but it has run since 1989 :)
I guess maybe it is time for the upgrade.
Probably will go with the BR600.
Is $480 about the best price you've seen?

Lakeside53 said:
In the NW they list for $479.95. Varies slightly around the county.

Thanks for the answer, I was thinking about the redmax 8000, now I'll have to look more at the stihl. It might be a difficult decision.

Stihl088stock said:
Thanks for the answer, I was thinking about the redmax 8000, now I'll have to look more at the stihl. It might be a difficult decision.

5lbs is 5lbs... Go try out both blowers. They are both fine machines.

pigwot said:
My old Echo PB-400E just got a carb kit on it, and not more than three days later weak to no spark, looks like magneto or coil or another wire wearing through...this thing has 'nickle and dimed' me for the past four years... but it has run since 1989 :)
I guess maybe it is time for the upgrade.
Probably will go with the BR600.

I've been using mine since 1986 and it hasn't missed a beat. In fact it just seems to get better every time I use it. Of course I don't use it everyday or commercially. Just here at home on this mountain.

talon1189 said:
Redmax carries a 2 year commercial warranty compared to a standard 1 year on the BR 600 :( Even if the 8001 is 5 pounds heavier and cost more........I think it is a better overall product IMO :laugh: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Just tick the "homeowner box" - you get two years from Stihl also.;)

I got an Echo PB 2455

http://www.allpower.com.au/pages/echo_power_blowers_echo_power_blower_-_pb2455.cfm

Had it 5 years now, cant kill it. I've even ran over it, dropped it etc ... tough.

Has a fuel leak now as I think the tanks busted but I just fill it a bit at a time as I only do quick blow downs after a job is finished ... not carparks of supermarkets!

I have also used the stihls, I like the starter handle being on the right side, then again, I'm probably used to that.

I think next time around I'd get a stihl though, I think they have a little more power, run quieter, and less vibration.

Ekka said:
I think next time around I'd get a stihl though, I think they have a little more power, run quieter, and less vibration.

Good call. This past year I picked up a BG85 for myself, a BG55 for a friend, and an Echo that is similar in appearance to yours for my father. The BG85 blows both of 'em away by a substantial margin and gives small backpack blowers a run for their money. It is one heck of a handheld. It is worth every penny over the cost of a BG55.

computeruser said:
Good call. This past year I picked up a BG85 for myself, a BG55 for a friend, and an Echo that is similar in appearance to yours for my father. The BG85 blows both of 'em away by a substantial margin and gives small backpack blowers a run for their money. It is one heck of a handheld. It is worth every penny over the cost of a BG55.

The BG85 has the exact same engine as the BG55... hmmm.... but it sure blows the skivvies off a BG55

pigwot said:
$449.95 :rock: + a free loaner (BR550) for 2 days because their delivery was delayed.

Dang, the BR600 is a BEAST! It makes you feel like you could blow 2" crushed rock with this thing ;)

It's as easy to start as the BR550, and the same level of comfort. The 600 has way more power. Large piles of wet, moldy leaves, moldy piles of pine needles... no problem. It definitely moves stuff that the 550 won't.

Only 2 potential downsides: the BR600 seems like it drinks more than the 550 (unless more time passed than I was aware of). That's worth the increased power imho.

The BR550 that I used had a tip with a slight angle to it, whereas the 600 had a tip that was straight (nozzel was slightly narrower than the tube). That angled tip on the 550 did make it easier to herd leaves around. I might see about trying to get that part, or if I might just fab a piece of kydex to give the discharge a slight angle.

Needless to say, I'm impressed

One other difference on the BR600, It has a static antenna. I used to get shocked with my BR400, especially if wearing a short sleeve shirt. The air blasting thru the nozzle generates a static charge and you provide the path to ground when you contact the clamp. The BR600 has a grounded antenna that eliminates this shocking experience.

Bob

Echo PB400E

Elmore said:
I've been using mine since 1986 and it hasn't missed a beat. In fact it just seems to get better every time I use it. Of course I don't use it everyday or commercially. Just here at home on this mountain.

I used my Echo commercially to the point where the end of the tube is half worn away for the second time. This thing doesn't owe me anything. It always started until recently, and moved lots of leaves and chipper debris. I'm intrigued by the 4 cycle Stihl, just have to rationalize spending the dollars...

There were warranty problems (bad seals?) early on with the BR600 blower...has Stihl worked all of that out?

pigwot said:
There were warranty problems (bad seals?) early on with the BR600 blower...has Stihl worked all of that out?
Any problems that they had must have been fixed. I have quite a few of the BR600 units and have not had any problems. Some coming out of their second season. Had a buddy with one that went down after he purchased it but the problem was fixed immediately and none since. It is a fantastic machine.
I use to like some of the Echo products until they started selling in a box.
Only loyal to Stihl now.:cheers:

Thanks Just Mow,
That settles it. Anyone want a used Echo PB400E?
I am going to get that BR600 sitting down at the Stihl dealer.

I love my old PB400e. loud as heck and blows like a hurricane.I used it when I was chasing dust for extra bucks and now it's semi retired. I agree though about the newer echos, something definitely changed quality wise when they dropped the orange and switched over to gray. lots of black duct tape holding the tubes and the pads together. never cared for their saws much, but man I loved the old srm 2800 trimmers. they were light years ahead back when they were new. Any when know where to get an aftermarket piston kit for a pb400e?? her time is growing short...

Latest posts

Back