Lean or rich high end bog?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lean or rich high end bog?

• Total voters
hey tom the saw seems lean to me be carefull I am the chainsaw chap still learning but a saw should 4 stroke bllippp bliiippp blippp it should blow smoke running rich will keep the saw running well for decades if you take care of the air filter and keep saw dust out of the gas. 4 stroking on a rich mixture will actually cool down the cylinder its hard to understand but makes sence you are putting more fuel on the cylinder that is hot. oil is thicker than gas which is refined oil to my knowledge.

your saw aint working right what you have there a stihl 025? I think your saw needs tuned better or you might have a air leak somewere. be carefull running that saw like that it should always blow smoke that way you no your safe. a saw should 4 stroke due to it isn't under a load until you put it into a tree which would work the tool and lean it out some to compensate for the rich mixture.

keep up the good work tom and good luck with your saw.

hey tom the saw seems lean to me be carefull I am the chainsaw chap still learning but a saw should 4 stroke bllippp bliiippp blippp it should blow smoke running rich will keep the saw running well for decades if you take care of the air filter and keep saw dust out of the gas. 4 stroking on a rich mixture will actually cool down the cylinder its hard to understand but makes sence you are putting more fuel on the cylinder that is hot. oil is thicker than gas which is refined oil to my knowledge.

your saw aint working right what you have there a stihl 025? I think your saw needs tuned better or you might have a air leak somewere. be carefull running that saw like that it should always blow smoke that way you no your safe. a saw should 4 stroke due to it isn't under a load until you put it into a tree which would work the tool and lean it out some to compensate for the rich mixture.

keep up the good work tom and good luck with your saw.
Hey champ :) thanks for your time and message! No leaking anywhere as I pressure and vacuum tested it. It’s ms 180 genuine Zama carb with aftermarket top end (piston rings and cylinder. (Carb is genuine Non adjustable Zamma C1Q)

My new ms 180 works beautifully without needing adjustment. I think it’s the top end being rubbish and poor transfer port timing! I’m not sure though :)

oh this is one them self tuning carbs? if that's the case im not really sure bud. stihl 180 I need to invest in a pressure tester to up my game and take the guessing game out of fixing a saw.

do you have the right plug in the saw sometimes the wrong plug can make a saw run like crap I sujest mike acress the chainsaw collecter corner this sight has a lot of helpful info to the saw enthusiast. chainsaw collector corner check it out some time if you find some extra time.

do you have the right plug in the saw sometimes the wrong plug can make a saw run like crap I sujest mike acress the chainsaw collecter corner this sight has a lot of helpful info to the saw enthusiast. chainsaw collector corner check it out some time if you find some extra time.
Hey mate :) yes new and correct plug from Stihl :)

Check the cylinder for the chrome plating gone o can't strive enough don't buy China junk unless it's a egg roll. That might be your problem China cylinders arnt made to last I would year down the saw did you replace the bearings and crank seals when you put the cylinder kit on did the saw ever run right before the new China cylinder?

Check the cylinder for the chrome plating gone o can't strive enough don't buy China junk unless it's a egg roll. That might be your problem China cylinders arnt made to last I would year down the saw did you replace the bearings and crank seals when you put the cylinder kit on did the saw ever run right before the new China cylinder?
I don’t fully understand your question / comment, but the saw was 30 Aussi dollars and not working. Cleaned it up and put back together to check. Ran with low compression and tricky to start, but it did and rev’d fine. Put new top end and cylinder from China in knowing I was taking a risk but the saw was so cheap anyway and this is the result. Not sure if it’s too lean or too rich or if it’s a transfer port timing issue

It sounds to me like it's starving for fuel. You say the crankcase passed a pressure/vacuum test. So, I would start with checking the tank vent, fuel line (could be collapsing under vacuum), filter, and carb inlet control lever setting (should be flush with carb floor, I think, depending on which carb).
I hope you get it figured out.

It sounds to me like it's starving for fuel. You say the crankcase passed a pressure/vacuum test. So, I would start with checking the tank vent, fuel line (could be collapsing under vacuum), filter, and carb inlet control lever setting (should be flush with carb floor, I think, depending on which carb).
I hope you get it figured out.
Thank you! Carb metering lever is correct as I checked it with a Zamma metering gauge. Filter and line are new, but will check for pin holes :)

Latest posts

Back