Learned something new

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was cutting fire wood to day,38 to 40 inch red oak.Sunk my 2 wedges,still did not split.Was using saw,a friend cut me a wedge out of oak about 3 times the size of my wedge. It worked great,He called it a gluet. KILLER

Wood Wedge

Killer,
I saw my dad do that very same thing when I was a kid.After he got a hydraulic motor driven splitter,I was the one elected to pull the handle most of the time.I didnt get to see anymore neat tricks after we got that splitter..............kind of a bummer.
Mike.

tricks

When you look at what they had to work with, I think the original loggers were a pretty amazing bunch. I think those tricks of the trade were far more valualble than we realize.

<p>Howdy-<p/>

<p>Stihltech, you are very correct. The old time loggers had to make do with brawn and brains, and they invented a lot of the tools and methods for dropping, skidding, and loading big timber right there on the worksite. They were engineers, animal trainers, metalsmiths, demolitions ex-perts, moonshiners, and jarhead snoose-chewin' yahoos all rolled up into one.<p/>

<p>Killer's story reminds me of a time we were cutting big timber on the Oregon coast. We had a 90" cedar and it was the last tree of the last day. Being that it was cedar, we'd already packed our jacks out of the unit. Cedar often grows like a giant snowcone so you have to have lean, limbweight, or just a lot of cussin' to convince them to go your way. Halfway through we'd gotten her up a little and had to use several pieces of the facecut as a homemade wedge. We used a pulaski, several large sticks, and a sledghammer beating that thing over<p/>

Latest posts

Back