LEAST favorite trees to climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anything with thorns or bees... i got to the top of a tree one day and found bees or they found me... the first thing to go was the sunglasses and then i raced them to the ground. it was near a photo finish ..

Young pin oaks...wish they weren't planted as much as they are.

There's also something we see too much of around here, that is, seas of redcedar, western hemlock and douglas-fir that have been topped and retopped and topped again for views. Nothing like spending the day being violated by stubs as you're perched on top of a mutilated little tree.

Oh, and one more. Trees cover in ivy. Full of bugs/rodents/spiders, contains some sort of allergen that drives me nuts, makes me want to castrate/spay the person who let the ivy go in the first place cause it 'looked nice.'

Have'nt done a Monkeypuzzle tree have No intentions of doing one at all. The bane of my existence here is the ever recurring cottonwood removals, as in Black Cottonwood and Balsam Poplar. They are heavy, weak, soft(lead with the consistency of styrofoam) Messy cleanup, Unfortunately always seem to find myself involved with one.

WTF is a Monkeypuzzle tree?
scratchhead.gif

Hey Rocky, what don't you like about them. There are bunches of them in So-Cal. They seem pretty straight forward to work in.

love
nick

Ever touched one nick? They can turn a full grown man into hamburger in an hour or so. Very very nasty and very very thick too when they are mature.

Black Locust , there a weed tree as far as I`m concerned. They are half dead even when they germanate. Thick bark that falls off and has very deep groves that make you watch every gaff movement. Always loaded with widow makers. They grow to about 100 ft.

GlennG

White Pines, the way they goober up my rope and buckstrap. Try slideing your prusic one handed over a 1/4" glob of gooey Pine sap. Pin Oaks suck to but they are actually easy to prune, it's just that they can be so ???? frustrating, the way the limbs just refuse to hit the ground. In the same vein, Pepridge have the exact same trait, but here in the Northeast not quite as common. Honey Locust that have big nasty thorns. In the previous response to this one Eric posted a picture of what appears to be a little baby Honey Locust. Just imagine what there like when they get large...Nasty!
Also any tree covered in either Ivy or Vines. I can't decide which is worse. Vines make you trim not only the limbs but the Vines as well to enable the limbs to hit the ground. God forbid you need to rope the limbs. (I did today and it sucked) Or Ivy, Hiding all kinds of unforseen problems. Insects, animals and worst of all, hidden tree defects. I'd have to vote for the Ivy strictly for the hidden defect issue.
Thanks for reading...

T

Back