Leaving Equipment on Job Sites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone have any Suggestions security wise for leaving Trucks, Loaders Overnite on Job sites And i dont mean leaving them In the Hood or Commercial locations mostly Subdivisions.

Just cover yourself. Get prepared for Idiots or competion slicing tires & such. Its a must sometimes to leave equip. I guess alls I can say is park it in well lighted areas & things like that. Get ready to lose batteries & things like that.It sucks but thats just the way it is.At least out west anyway. But then again english is a second language out hear.

Dave, I will leave equipment of varying natures at a job site no problem, depending on the location. All I can say as far as security goes is... Lock all the doors, and take the keys. If possible leave the stuff out of site, ie; behind the house / behind some bushes / trees / etc. Try to talk with neighbors if the homeowners aren't around on a normal basis. They will call the cops if somebody is there late at night making lots of noise. If you are doing land clearing or landscaping for a whole new subdivision; leave your stuff WAY back in the woods where whoever is gonna take it would have to go out of their way a ways. Also make it a policy on these types of jobs to get the names of everybody who comes to the site. I know it sounds like a real pain in the butt, however just keep a list of the people who come to the site each day. Get their name and driver's liscense #. This way if something should turn up missing... you as well as other contractors working on the site have a way of starting to track down the stolen articles.

We leave equipment at jobs where we will be returning for a number of days. In most cases, they are at people's homes in discreet locations that are generally very safe neighborhoods.

Suggestions...Double parking loaders or other equipment will help. If you're leaving a trailer, consider taking the hitch off. Otherwise, we've run chains through the hitch
1289_med.gif

and attached other equipment (ladders, sod cutters, naughty children) to the chain.

Guard against inside jobs. Your employees may be more bold in stealing equipment or supplies in situations like this. In a wealthy neighborhood near me, thousands of dollars of tools were stolen by the very companies working on a house - it happens.

Bring the smallest and the most valuable back with you. It's not worth losing.

Nickrosis

I wont even Leave Chainsaws In my Garage I Either keep them Locked in the Bucket truck if its at Home Or if i leave it somewhere I Lock the saws IN the Boxes on my Pickup. Man that would be a nite mare to have all your saws stolen.

One of the tree contractors in our area called yesterday. Apparently they lost a lot of saws in a break-in and wanted to notify us in case someone approached us with a variety of used saws. That was disturbing to me, and I'm going to use caution that I didn't used to think would be necessary.

Nickrosis

Well I believe I mentioned to you guys a few weeks ago about burglaries in Bedford. Well apparently they have been going on down county as well. A customer of mine who is a painter was telling me that there was a bunch of people who were simply walking onto job sites during the day, acting like they were employees and walking off with tools and other stuff.

Even though I have insurance to cover thefts if there is a time that I need to leave my Waldon front end loader on the job, I disable the ignition. Since this has a generic key, I open the distributor and pull out the rotor.

Tom

Hmmm Hey Tom i tried to do that today on my Bobcat but couldnt find the distributor. :D

A guy up here with a metal fabricating operation makes a lock for pintal rig hitches. 2 pieces of shaped steel bolted together and padlocked so bolt cutter cannot get ant the lock.

One time I saw a pintle lock that was made from an alloy that couldn't be cut with a torch. The metal was beefy enough that it couldn't be smashed off either. It would take a grinder or cordless recip saw to get it off. Wven with that, it sould make some noise and take time. The padlock was well shielded too. That is the weak link. Now that cordless tools are so available, it isn't too hard to drill out a padlock. Just takes more time.

There is an article about eguipment theft in a construction mag I get that says that CA and south FL are the worst for theft. Close to out bound shipping.

Time for a new thread.

Tom

Tom,
Now all the theives in cyberspace know to bring a rotor when they come to steal your tractor.:eek:

The pintle lock reminds me of "The Club", the bar that attaches to the steering wheel of your car to stop theives. I saw a show where they talked to theives about these things. It was funny because first they discribed the device as being made out of the strongest metal known, and haveing a lock that could never be picked. Then the theif walks up and cuts the steering wheel, bends it slightly, and hands the TV guy The Club in about 4 seconds.:D

i seen a guy take a Kryp-to-night lock and slip a 5' pipe over the lock and pop it! He said if the lock won't sit still, you can peel the vinyl, spray it with freon and shatter it!

And i thought wee came up with some slick, applied physics........

Enclosed trailers are hot right now in Fla...............because of the miami thing. I look for excuses to plant Crotalus adamanteus in boxes,tool boxes,truck boxes,trucks, and anywhere one might look for a free handout. You get a reputation quick.

You can lock your hitch with something like this.
125588_med.gif

Mike, I saw that show, tool. The next thing you knew, the guy had the car started and squealing out the door.

You put one of these in a tool box? :eek: I suppose you could say it was just the cage for it, and you weren't intending to booby-trap it at all.
croada3.jpg

Nickrosis

I have a licence to possess them,and exhibit them in the state of Fla. It is only 5.00$ per year,thats kinda funny,concidering the damage that they can cause. I don't exhibit them at ALL,but could I guess, Some states don't require a licence,but with the big miami trading ports,someone has to capitalize from it.Hell,any ole snake will do,just has to be a snake.:rolleyes: What do you guys think is the MOST VENOMOUS snake in the WORLD? Just for fun..

Mamba's and Adder's i beleive; Coral is right up there; but........
a Taipan doesn't have the highest toxicity, but it is up there and delivers such a high dose it could be considered the most venomous. Eastern Rattlers here, carry quite a lot of venom, compared to a lot of snakes i think.

Last edited:
The Inland Taipan(Oxyuranus microlepidotus) ounce for ounce is. These guys are from Austrailia,which is where most of the bad boys are from,#2 is the Eastern Brown Snake also from Austrailia.I think only about 20 deaths have been known in Australia in the past 20 to 25 years.Now go over to Africa and The Ocellated carpet viper(Echis ocellatus) kills around 20,000:eek: agricultural workers per year,and this is a very small snake,about 2' and then the Black mamba(Dendroaspis polylepis) also from Africa,which is a big boy at around 10',very mean snake too. There is about a 100% chance that you WILL die without treatment.Asia has the Indian cobra(Naja naja) and the Indian krait(Bungarus caeruleus).The Americas has the Fer-de-lance(Bothrops atrox) a south american snake which kills a pile of folks every year.Here in the states there is not many deaths at all.But the Coral snake(Micrurus fulvius) is quite nasty with a normal yield(amount of venom in average bite) 3-5mg,it take 4-5 to kill you.The Eastern Diamondbacks normal yield is 400-700mg,and takes about 100mg to kill you.

Latest posts

Back