Leaving Equipment on Job Sites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone has herpes?

By the way, it is my understanding that snake bite is one of the things they say not to tourniquet now; as it traps the cell digesting poison in one area. Though that might differ from species to species and the make-up of their toxins; whereby some localaties might still recomend it.

It is also, a good reason for a watch and marker to mark the time on a victim (going towards first-aid kit discussion); so that when 'formal' aid is given; this info can be taken into account.

Thats correct TreeSpyder,your best bet is to call 911.....for the pit vipers it's best to splint the limb as you would for a fracture.Do not use a tourniquet or ice,and do not cut and suck!! And don't shock youself with jumper cables..:confused:

SNAKEBITES

That's correct - Do NOT tourniquet.

All of our oakwilt spraying was done while looking up - lost our safety margin for Copperheads, eastern and western Diamondbacks, even cottonmouths in the marshy areas. We have killerbees too, so pack some Benedryl at all times.

Keep a long sparkplug wire lead tied-up under the hood - when you're bit, insert the lead into the ignition coil, the other end directly to the bite, crank the engine. Two or three jolts (I know it hurts, but...) will render the enzymes in the venom useless. Rattlers have a muscle toxin, copperheads and cotnmouths have a neuro toxin - either will make running to town or a clinic long enough for nerve damage or muscle dissolving to occur.

Of all the dangers from fauna, our worst was a game ranch with water buffalo - mean nasty critters. No one told us they were loose but assured me the Siberian tigers were corralled, no worries. After one near miss (he ripped the hose and goarded my truck quarterpanel) we nailed him point blank with 1,200 psi of dish soap, right in the snoot. We took to spraying then standing and walking back-to-back, protecting each other's asses. Camels can be nasty too, but pound for pound, the ostriches were the scariest - claws like scalpels, guts can spill.

Seriously, of three bites over the years, the jolt of volts have rendered bites into simple punctures. Just carry some lead wire to be on the safe side. Even the AMA doesn't suggest suction or constriction anymore.

Back