Left-Handed Operator - First-Time Saw Owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secureland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My buis a lefty and he just bought his first saw. He doesn't feel comfortable running it like a righty. Does anybody have any experience with this and know a good solution?

Thanks for any replies :)

I am a lefty as well and haven't had any problems. Some saws feel more awkward than others but he should go around picking up a couple different brands and then make a decision. Some have a more slanted front handle than others, I think it would be best for him to try out a bunch and see what he likes the most.

I'm a lefty and I've never had a problem. If he's never used a chainsaw before, there's going to be a learning period regardless of which hand he uses; and it doesn't take too long to get comfortable. It's not that complicated, IMO.

I'm left handed, too. Use all 'coarse' tools right handed. It's only a little steeper learning curve but a lot less hassle than to find and pay for a 'special' left handed tool - even play the guitar right handed. Still have to do fine work with my left hand - like write and put a fork in my mouth insead of my nose.

First time I used a saw it felt uncomforable, too. But, it didn't take long to get over it. It'll come ... promise!:biggrinbounce2:

I am right handed but switch hands on the handles any time the occasion calls for it or my hands and fingers need a change of position/rest. Don`t think saws are designated as left or right hand. It takes just a little while to become used to running a chainsaw in all positions either handed.
Pioneerguy600

in the rest position- left handed, that bar and chain is awful close to your right thigh ain't it? that is the primary reason saws are built to be run right handed

I was born a lefty, was partly converted to a righty at an early age, made me somewhat dislexic. Being ambi makes running a chainsaw easier, I put fullwraps on everything.

There were lefthanded chainsaws, old beasts by current standards, maybe Mr. Bowsaw can show us one.

Tell him to start looking for a Porter Cable chainsaw. Mr. Bowsaw has one. They're left handed saws. When he sees what collectors are getting for those, he'll probably decide to switch to "righty" on his own.

My boy is a lefty and he just bought his first saw. He doesn't feel comfortable running it like a righty. Does anybody have any experience with this and know a good solution?

Practice and experience, he will be fine. Bet he uses a computer mouse with his right hand.

I was born a lefty, was partly converted to a righty at an early age, made me somewhat dislexic. Being ambi makes running a chainsaw easier, I put fullwraps on everything.

There were lefthanded chainsaws, old beasts by current standards, maybe Mr. Bowsaw can show us one.

Yep, this is a common story for us crusty old guys. Usually lefties end up a bit more ambi than right-handed folks for this reason. I suspect he's had to adapt to some right-handed activity or other (guitar, golf, etc.) Let's face it, ANYTHING that requires two hands should be fairly easy to adapt to, especially if it doesn't require a fine motor skill. Remember, the left arm is the one that supports most of the weight of the chainsaw.. he may actually have an advantage of sorts.

Also, it might be that it doesn't have a lot to do with left- or right-handedness. Most people have a stronger eye,leg, arm, a tendancy to favor going down on one knee rather than the other, etc.) I'm sure he'll find his groove.

I'm left-handed, also. I think it may actually be better to have your stronger, more adept hand on the handle and your dominant eye forward.

Jack

My boy is a lefty and he just bought his first saw. He doesn't feel comfortable running it like a righty. Does anybody have any experience with this and know a good solution?

I'm a lefty too and until this post never even thought about the sidedness of chainsaws. In fact if I now had to reverse hands I surely couldn't do it. Was lucky enough to have some experts teach me some of the "do's and don'ts", particularly appropriate safety equipment, without reference to being a southpaw...

Well im left handed to and its easy to run a saw. I can switch hands
when needed no problem. He just needs to get used to it.

Heres some old lefty saws they used to make.

Titan Model 30
saw66.jpg

Lancaster Super 400S
hpim1864jg0.jpg

Porter Cable 534
saw787.jpg

full wrap handle bars will help out a lefty

Safety Guy Butts in . . .

Aside from those historical models posted, all (?) modern chainsaws are designed to be used 'right handed'. That is, the right hand on the rear handle, and the left hand on the top handle.

This info is posted in all of the owner's / user's manuals / safety guides, etc.

Why? A couple of examples.

1) In a kick-back situation, when bucking/crosscutting a horizontal log, a chainsaw held right handed will pass by the right side of your head (if correctly held, sightly to the right, and with a locked left elbow). A chainsaw held left handed will kick back right toward your face or into your right forearm.

2) The 'kill switch' for most modern saws is located to be operated with the right thumb. Holding the saw 'lefty' makes this harder to reach while maintaining a secure grip on the rear handle.

3) Harder to reach the trigger while maintaining a secure grip on the rear handle when felling.

This doesn't mean you can't get away with it sometimes, but it should not be a regular practice.

I once found one of those consumer education pamphlets at Lowe's that said you could use a chainsaw either right or left handed, and sent them copies of the owner's manuals from the Husky saws they were selling, that said 'right hand only'. Lowes' pulled the brochures but never even acknowledged my letter.

Philbert

Last edited:
I once found one of those consumer education pamphlets at Lowe's that said you could use a chainsaw either right or left handed, and sent them copies of the owner's manuals from the Husky saws they were selling, that said 'right hand only'. Lowes' pulled the brochures but never even acknowledged my letter.

Philbert

And to this day it still hurts:mad:

Back