Left-Handed Operator - First-Time Saw Owner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buis a lefty and he just bought his first saw. He doesn't feel comfortable running it like a righty. Does anybody have any experience with this and know a good solution?

Thanks for any replies :)

Actually, chainsaws seem to be designed for lefty use, unless you run them with short bars ony.

That is provided your left hand isn't extremely clumcy......:)

Why do you say that?

Philbert

Strongest hand on the front handle(bar) sounds good to me, at least with longer bars! :givebeer:

To be honest, my right hand is pretty messed up by arthritis, my left quite a bit less so, making me more or less left-handed in some situations (like using a computer - or starting a saw).

Running a saw is a bit different, but I would have no problem using the "weak" hand on the throttle etc.

Not too long ago Stihl Canada came up with lefthanded saws but they never went over very well.

I turned those saws back to right handed. Look closely at the two pictures. My picture is the real version of the saw. Look at the Stihl on the bar.

Mine
attachment.php

Yukonsawman
attachment.php

Last edited:
I didn't mean to confuse MMFaller39. My point is the chainsaws in Yukonsawman picture are actually right handed saws. The picture was just flipped horizontally in a photoshop type program. You can see this by looking at the writing on the bar.

in the rest position- left handed, that bar and chain is awful close to your right thigh ain't it? that is the primary reason saws are built to be run right handed
That is exactly the problem. Handling the saw is no problem but that right lead leg is ready to get chewed and it takes a micro second for it to happen. I always always wear chainsaw trousers and they have saved me maybe 3 times over the years.

Latest posts

Back