leland cypress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfh

Reaction score
I have 10 leland cypress trees that are still wrapped with burlap and coat hanger like metal around the rootball of the tree.There is a debate on whether or not to remove the metal from around the rootball. They have been planted and are about 6 feet tall. Will someone please give me some advise about this matter. thank-you,jfh

You forgot something Brian!

Brian-
You forgot to add that the root flare needs to be at or slightly above ground level!

I believe I had a detailed planting instructions somewhere in this forum... Possibly with a thread titled something like "Suggestions on fast growing evergreen tree"....? I don't remember if that was the one or not...

jfh- If you are interested in seeing the instructions I wrote, do a search with a key word(s) of Autumn Blaze Maple, I know I mentioned that in the post with the instructions (how I remember this, I DON'T know!), that should turn up something.....

thank-you for info

I appreciate all the information everyone responded to about my Leland Cypress trees. jfh

Since Leyland are one of the fastest growing conifers, its reasonable to assume root damage if the wires don't deteriorate.

Even if they can be cut into segments, it would be better than nothing, although removal would be handy.

Removal of the basket before planting could comprimise the root ball.Remove the burlap from around the top section of the ball.

You may need to dig into the ball to find the flare.

The ears of the basket are the most hazardous to the roots of the tree.That is where the roots are girdled by the basket the most.

Bend the ears of the basket down into the hole,or cut them off.:)

Back