Let ALICE carry it!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been pondering the design today. I'm thinking of going the way of the baby backpack, making a sling style fabric holder for The Barbie Saw. Attached to the packframe and using the shelf for support. I had a nyon vs canvas debate going on in my head, and the canvas is winning. It won't melt if it comes in contact with a hot muffler. Now, to see if I can find some canvas fabric in my stash!

Time for a thread (hah) on what kind of sewing machine do you have? I might have to drag out the treadle for heavy duty stuff.

The First Fitting

Here's the first fitting of the pack and Barbie Saw. I need to add more grommets and a some more straps. It is pretty rough.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The opening for the trigger is an oversized button hole. I'm not too sure how it will last. I may need to reinforce it with duct tape or some nylon.
attachment.php

I used an awl on it. I'd never used one before and had a couple of stabbings and sore fingers. The old treadle machine might be tough enough but it is unaccessible right now.
I'm thinking about adding pockets and will tie better knots in the parachute cord. Because I live in the sticks, I had to "recycle" available buckles and straps. Does that make this green pack green?

Last edited:
GREAT pack! A thing of beauty. Would you mind sharing what you used for the grey / black backing material that you attached to the Alice frame, as I can't quite figure it out? It doesn't look like painted plywood? Hope this thread isn't too old.

GREAT pack! A thing of beauty. Would you mind sharing what you used for the grey / black backing material that you attached to the Alice frame, as I can't quite figure it out? It doesn't look like painted plywood? Hope this thread isn't too old.

Never too old.

Last edited:

Thanks for bumping this thread up - I hadn't seen it before. I'm thinking of using the basic idea for a way to carry a kit switchable between the ATV and tractor.

I use this, certainly cost more but I didn't pay for it. I haven't used it in a couple of years. It's primary use was trail maintenance. I could carry a saw and supplies all day.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=2173

FrontlineMackenziePack.jpg

I am aghast! (a word I've never used on a forum, anywhere, ever). Is that the brain surgeon pack? Is forestry-suppliers looking to market a neck chap? Did Vincent Van Gough use that setup before he lost his ear? Whoa!

Hi Chip!

Well you're right it is in fact 1/4" painted plywood. I used some leftover that I had laying around. Sanded and then painted with a como green paint mfrom the, local farm supply store.

The pack has come in handy for toting the saw into difficult areas to make trails.

Al :cheers:

Nice build. Good use for the ALICE frame, if I remember correctly the packs came in medium and large sizes. I absolutely hated humping those things.
Brings back nightmares, of aching shoulders.

Rep for the quality build.

Fuel and oil bracket details, please.

Nikocker, using your model I plan on building a similiar ALICE backpack carrier for use on trail maintenance work that requires hiking to access work sites. Please tell me what BRACKETS - and where you purchased them - that you used to hold the oil and fuel containers on you pack. Thanks.

Nikocker, using your model I plan on building a similiar ALICE backpack carrier for use on trail maintenance work that requires hiking to access work sites. Please tell me what BRACKETS - and where you purchased them - that you used to hold the oil and fuel containers on you pack. Thanks.

Those brackets look to me like the kind you'd use on a bicycle to hold a water bottle.

OP - Very nice build, BTW.

Sorry for the necro post but I'm curious about this pack.
The problem is the images aren't showing up for me and I'd obviously like to see them in order to understand the layout of the pack...

Anyone have them saved or can the OP repost the images?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back