Lets get this party started...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In background is a 3.5 foot dbh, 110 foot lombardy poplar. customer likes the tree, it is in a good location near the lake, so we'll prune it...crown clean, maybe a light thinning of the upper canopy-$500-800, depending on how much we do and how long it takes.

The neighbor has two, but they are mighty close to both their houses..not a desirable species that close, but they too look solid. However, one fell over some time ago, but I don't know what it looked like.

I don have any pictures, but today after school I removed a bradford pear in the front of a house, near my school.

Rolling on, to rolling off took 40 min (follow up with stump grinding tomorrow, but my father is doing that). Made 200 bucks (which is 300 an hour). Came home, unloaded the trailer, and was gone in an hour 6 min. Not too bad for the money:D.

Then i went to raise the canopy on some large oaks off a house and some service drops.

Re: BRADFORD PEARS???

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I've known good men who've died taking those suckers out!!!:blob2:

Hahahaha! :D

Hey, the money's green, eh? :p

Oh aint it.

I only had to get off the ground twice, and then only to about 15' or so to set a rope.

I dont think that many would like to work the tips on them tho:rolleyes:.

Sweet MB!
They say the chinese will pay big bucks for a 8 foot log cottonwood straight with no limbs in it. They use it for carving them little shiips and stuff. But of course I know of no chinese doing carvings unless your chinese.. ha
Good luck youll need it... ha

Dead c'wood..scary stuff...Be careful, big guy...wear shoulder pads and watch out for widowmakers!!! Tell the crane operator to use a light touch..consider lacing your tie points to spread out the load?

I have never seen a cottonwood over 25 feet high and 15 inch's DBH.
Jesus 4 foot DBH!

Originally posted by rbtree
Dead c'wood..scary stuff...Be careful, big guy...wear shoulder pads and watch out for widowmakers!!! Tell the crane operator to use a light touch..consider lacing your tie points to spread out the load?

Everything you said, bro. The only single straps I will use will be on a stripped spar. I wish NOW I had some Peltor headsets. I just might hafta get 'em. I even mentioned the shoulderpad thing to the guy, when he showed me the job today.

Phrick it... ain't nutting but a thang... ;)

In WI, the cottonwoods easily get over a hundred feet. Me and Gopher took one down that was at least 110, maybe 120'!!!! We each got $500 for that job and had it done in one day!

So where's the .jpgs!!!!

love
nick

Pics from today's routine job:

A larch removal, tight spot and long limbs that needed a bit of lift, so we set a line in the oak nearby for "gin pole". and used a speed line, utilizing it's bite to swing and lift the branches a bit as needed.

Larch is the best of all conifer wood for firewood..loaded with pitch, no problem in a good woodstove....don't know that I've ever burned any--their zone starts east of the Cascade Crest.

I couldn't get any shots earlier, both of us needed to be on the ropes.

Lowering/transfer line in oak, through pulley, and retrievable from the ground.

Next we pruned the pin oak, which had been topped years ago, uggh.

After..

The interior was cluttered with sprouts, so we took most of them out. Elevated it a little, deadwood out, ice damage out, light thinning throughout. Only a few cuts over 1.5-2 inches. Tree is close to house and deck and due west, so light and view is an issue.

I think we took 18-20% of live foliage out at most. Too much for any of you guys? Mike, Guy? Here in the PNWet, people want light more than shade.

What a great day!

I was too occupied and clueless to turn around a get a shot the other way...awesome Puget Sound and snow covered Olympic Mt view.

The job also involved a tight drag out to the chipper, but we still did the $900 job in 3.75 hours.

Hopefully next year, they'll have us do the large blue Atlas cedar on the other side of the house...it too was previously topped, and will be a 3/4 day job for 2 to 3 climbers.

Look at the pitchy, yellow wood...The Idaho/Montana forests are loaded with this great timber tree.

The PP7900 just blew through the stump cut!

Latest posts

Back