Let's Hear it for the MS044/440!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WACutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, so there are newer, more powerful, more fuel efficient saws out there. But is there a better all around saw than the 440? It is relatively light, nimble, powerful, and reliable. So newer saws may be smoother, use less gas, and may be more powerful. The 440 is such a great combination of features.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I picked this up recently. Completely dry the wrap version weighs 14.5 lbs on my scale. The flatlander version is under 14 lbs.
Stock hp is 5.4, add a few tenths with the factory DP and you're probably around 5.7-5.8hp or so, bone stock. This one will get the new Weber Custom full wrap bar installed too.

The old 372 is still my favorite saw in this class, but the 440 is a legend as well. They have both served me well over the years.

Let's see those 044/440's!

View attachment 246688View attachment 246689

They do defiantly have a signature look I'll give them that lol. I have a 044 in my arsenal and it has served me well the past year or 2.

I've had my 044 nearly twenty years. I look forward to using it another 20. One of the best ever...

Now it is my understanding that the 440/044 do not share the same oiler as the 441 & the 460 do. When you buy the 440 R is there a heavy duty oiler or the same as the non wrap 440. I have been wondering about this since I read that somewhere on this site.

Now it is my understanding that the 440/044 do not share the same oiler as the 441 & the 460 do. When you buy the 440 R is there a heavy duty oiler or the same as the non wrap 440. I have been wondering about this since I read that somewhere on this site.

No HO oiler available from stihl. That's the only downfall I have with the 044/440 chassis. If stihl would make a new version with spring av and the 3/4 wrap I would buy it.

Most reliable saw I have ever owned.Other than new b/cs and a new sprocket,have never done anything to this saw.Absolutely bullet proof

Yes and good marketing strategy on the part of those wily Germans. Was a couple of them standing around in their lab coats going, "Yeah, let's name this badass saw after Dirty Harry's gun. Call it a 44 Magnum. The Americans will buy it." Then years later... "That went well, now let's call it a 440 Magnum just like the big block Dodge they replaced the 426 Hemi with. The Americans will buy it."

Yep love em, hard to beat a legend and one of the best for sure. Also nice when the top handle wont cut it up in the tree. To me with 044-372 made my 20 inch saw obsolete.

Mine is a love/hate relationship. I have numerous saws that can do things better than the 440 but overall, yes vibs and all, it would be one of the last saws I'd give up.

To me the 440 feels like a 60cc saw but with so much more power, and just as nimble. I've also found that when tuned correctly the fuel mileage isn't near as bad as a 460.
Reminds me of a girlfriend I once had, there was alot that I didn't like about her but man-o-man, when she got busy, wow!

New saws will always be on the Horizon coming out, and I'll be buying them to see what all the noise is about. But they have years and years of use to catch the proven past legends (440,372,etc.) history of dependability.

Latest posts

Back