Let's See Some ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
Reaction score
Found this orphan lying in a ditch, so I took it in and am trying to find it's parents. Closest thing I've seen to the bark is catalpa, but that was more of a tan color. Has a thin papery outer skin, almost the texture of wallpaper, shows in the pics. Feels fairly heavy, but I've really no idea how dried out it is.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
From the size of the growth rings I would say that it is some sort of invasive, fast growing tree. Not familiar with what grows in your area, but you may be on the right track.

Pretty sure it's not catalpa, but I've no idea what it could be.

You're reading my thoughts, aren't you? :msp_scared:

It does look pretty close to the Tree of Heaven ( I'm not using that other fancee name ) pics I've looked at so far. A city tree. I liked the "Ghetto Palm" nickname in the Wiki article.

Last edited:
Catalpa cut green has an odor that I think is sickly sweet. It's also very light weight. Are those pink spots in the wood or from something else?

I wish i could remember that name but it look like some chinese or japanese tree that i cut down last summer. When it dries it will be very light wasnt that great to burn but wood is wood.

I agree with the fact that it's Ailanthus..Its all over a place I take care of, now the real question..Is it worth cutting it to burn?

I agree with the fact that it's Ailanthus..Its all over a place I take care of, now the real question..Is it worth cutting it to burn?

I wouldn't go through a lot of effort to get it. Goes up like a fart in the breeze when dry. Gets punky real fast as well. It's good for burning down coals or getting a fast flamer going first thing in the morning.

Latest posts

Back