Life Experiences: The First Time I Ever Felled a Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I realize there is not a chainsaw in this story, but it had a profound influence on my love of logging and wood cutting, so I think there is some relevance here. (BTW, I now use chainsaws for this type of work!)

This particular day at Boy Scout camp (Kia Kima, Hardy, AR, early ‘60’s) we were having an intermural competition, kind of a scouting skills Olympics. The group I was with was tasked with several jobs, one of which was building a bridge across a small ravine. Our group leader, a patrol leader, but not our own patrol leader, grabbed me, a raw Tenderfoot, to get us started on the bridge project. We walked to the ravine and he chose a tall, straight, relatively branchless tree about 10 inches in diameter and said, “We need this tree felled so it will land straight across that ravine. That will be the foundation we will work from. Do you think you can do it?” I had NO idea if I could, but I answered “Yes”. Pride kept me from saying anything else. He walked away to one of the other projects he was charged with and said, “I’ll be back in a while.” For a minute I just stood there looking at the tree, the ravine, and the Official Boy Scout ax in my hand. As best I could, I put those negative “what if” thoughts out of my head and began to work. I had read my manual and knew where and how deep to make that first cut. I began to make those chips fly, and before too long, that cut was looking pretty good. I was sweating as I started those fateful back cuts, and not just from the July Arkansas heat. This was it. Soon I began to hear those cracking sounds and the movement started. I watched as the top of the tree headed for the other bank and then heard the loud boom of timber hitting earth. I looked at the place I was aiming for and where the tree landed, and realized I could have driven a nail with that tree. While I was staring in amazement, the patrol leader was walking up the path from his other duties. “Great job! I’ll get the rest of the crew and we’ll get this thing built.” He turned to walk away, paused, turned his head around and said “And you’re just a Tenderfoot?” He kind of shook his head and walked off. All I could do for a minute or so was stand there, ax in hand, and feel a chest-filling dose of pure satisfaction. As long as I live, I will never forget the vividness of that experience.

This gave me warm and fuzzy. I only hope I can provide the same memories for my little guy. Here his is "helping", PPE and all lol:
IMG_0518_zpsilvyv0b6.jpg

This gave me warm and fuzzy. I only hope I can provide the same memories for my little guy. Here his is "helping", PPE and all lol:
IMG_0518_zpsilvyv0b6.jpg
Keep him out there with you and wear your PPE too. I did a few projects with my dad, but with how bad his feet and back is from his army days and now his hand from smashing it working in the garage he cant do much at all.

Keep him out there with you and wear your PPE too. I did a few projects with my dad, but with how bad his feet and back is from his army days and now his hand from smashing it working in the garage he cant do much at all.
Yessir, I always have eyes, ears, and gloves. They stay in the truck. Always wear boots anyway, can't stand sneakers. Chaps come out on the big days.

Yessir, I always have eyes, ears, and gloves. They stay in the truck. Always wear boots anyway, can't stand sneakers. Chaps come out on the big days.
Chaps every day. I have too many friends who skip them, I do too, but I do not have any dependents and only do so when I have a partner who knows trauma care (so rarely). Set an example for the boy. Do you want your boy taking risks too? Think about it when he is 14 and thinks he knows everything after watching you. "Well pa does it this way?" I may ignore torque specs, but safety not so much. If my dad was more careful he would still be able to help me out, now he has trouble lifting a bag of dog food.

I have a really comfortable set of Labonville chainsaw safety pants, they are 10x better then chaps. They do not get caught or hung up and are far, far cooler. I found chaps are more comfortable if you have suspenders on your pants, you can cinch the chaps down so they dong move and you don't wind up with your shirt riding up in the back. I know lots of guys who cut into their calf with a saw, so I always go full wrap if I use chaps, the pants do not cover there, but they are 10x better then nothing. I use them for all day jobs since I know I cannot take them off when I start to get too hot.

http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.a...NqoFA4gbKnC4ARv517gSQ9SKBnheVJiuWYaAmBn8P8HAQ

These are the ones I have, then run a bit tight in the thighs, so I got them a size up, go for two if you wear long johns under them.

Great story. I feel kinda sorry for the kids today with how they drag their cell phones everywhere. Dont misunderstand, a cell phone is fantastic in an emergency. What Im talking about is these kids that are glued to these devices and wont even go outside...

Yes, I feel that they are missing so much good stuff. We had so much freedom! In our younger years we spent most of the non-raining time outdoors with other kids. Just had to be within shouting distance around dinnertime. Then after dinner, back outside. Few organized programs and "extracurricular activities", just building forts, baseball games on vacant lots, etc. The world wasn't all roses - there was an everpresent anxiety about nuclear war (fallout shelters, duck-and-cover), but still a wonderful time to grow up in.

Chaps every day. I have too many friends who skip them, I do too, but I do not have any dependents and only do so when I have a partner who knows trauma care (so rarely). Set an example for the boy. Do you want your boy taking risks too? Think about it when he is 14 and thinks he knows everything after watching you. "Well pa does it this way?" I may ignore torque specs, but safety not so much. If my dad was more careful he would still be able to help me out, now he has trouble lifting a bag of dog food.

I have a really comfortable set of Labonville chainsaw safety pants, they are 10x better then chaps. They do not get caught or hung up and are far, far cooler. I found chaps are more comfortable if you have suspenders on your pants, you can cinch the chaps down so they dong move and you don't wind up with your shirt riding up in the back. I know lots of guys who cut into their calf with a saw, so I always go full wrap if I use chaps, the pants do not cover there, but they are 10x better then nothing. I use them for all day jobs since I know I cannot take them off when I start to get too hot.

http://www.baileysonline.com/shop.axd/ProductDetails?item_no=SN650P 3434&utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cse&id=155014847785&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmIrJBRCRmJ_x7KDo-9oBEiQAuUPKMiHtc1m18NqoFA4gbKnC4ARv517gSQ9SKBnheVJiuWYaAmBn8P8HAQ

These are the ones I have, then run a bit tight in the thighs, so I got them a size up, go for two if you wear long johns under them.
I don't disagree at all, but I'm not gonna put on special pants to run my MS170 to take down the errant branch while mowing.

I will however look into those pants you suggested for my next firewood trip. They look significantly more comfortable when rooting through the woods. Hate how my jeans ride around the straps of the chaps..

Thanks for the link!

I don't disagree at all, but I'm not gonna put on special pants to run my MS170 to take down the errant branch while mowing.

I will however look into those pants you suggested for my next firewood trip. They look significantly more comfortable when rooting through the woods. Hate how my jeans ride around the straps of the chaps..

Thanks for the link!
The little saws and little branches are what bite you in my experience.

They are far better then chaps comfort wise, but you do need the pad inserts. Lots of money and there are better ones out there, but for 2x or 3x the price. Chaps do work better with suspenders though. I dont ever seem to have much comfort trouble with chaps now that I always wear suspenders with work pants.

Latest posts

Back