Light truck tires 265/75/16

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a set of like new Cooper ATP (the AT3 marketed by Discount Tire) with Dodge rims for a steal off Craigslist. While the rims won't work, the tires will. The GM forums really like the Coopers on the trucks.

I had BFG Rugged Trails and they sucked on every surface...wore well, but a horrible tire. I had a set of new BFG AT/KOs and they went out of round by an inch on all four tires...BFG blamed the truck, basically left me with four bad tires at over $1000. I will never own another BFG.

Keep in mind that a LT tire for a truck is different than the P-series used on most caes and SUVs. They don't get the same wear for whatever reason.

I got 125k out of the original brake pads, barely had to turn material off the rotors and they went another 50k.....
I had 220k on the original brakes on my 2004 Dodge 2500, and they only had to be replaced because I had a rear seal let go that coated the one side with gear oil.

I expect this Silverado to get about the same...brakes have 40k on them and don't even look worn.

Quite a few plugs in for Cooper/Mastercraft tires... and I agree.
I have a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T for the truck (summer/fair weather tires), and I've had Coopers on the wife' various vehicles as well.
Our crushed limestone roads can be real rough on tires... and of all of 'em (that I've seen), the Coopers hold up the best.

Oh... and my traction tires... the bias ply... those are Cooper Courser Traction (now discontinued :().

Put down another vote for Cooper AT3s. Keep an eye out for when Cooper is running a rebate. All said and done I paid just over $100 per tire for my Ranger. I even checked lots of off road sites where they got lots of praise before buying mine. I believe they are 55,000 mile rated if my memory serves.

Quite a few plugs in for Cooper/Mastercraft tires... and I agree.
I have a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T for the truck (summer/fair weather tires), and I've had Coopers on the wife' various vehicles as well.

Audible Fart is the only person who has responded to this thread that has the exact same truck as the o.p. That means Audible Fart's opinion is the only one so far that has merit. Wife's cars don't matter here. Diesel trucks are a different thread. This is about TOYOTA TACOMAS. BFG at's. Anybody posting about tires in this thread that doesn't have the same truck as the o.p. clearly sympathizes with I.S.I.S.
1046744.jpg

Please note that LT tires in addition the side wall alpha rating have a load index as well. Make sure you pay attention to that , some have a load rating so low that the base truck weight exceeds the load rating. If you are routinely loading to the max best be using load ratings of 120-123 minimum. Yes they going to cost more typicaly in the $200 msrp range or more per each.

Mastercraft AT2,(I think), I put on my Cherokee several years ago. Best tire I have put on the old goat since the lift kit kit, this set is 3 years old, wearing very well. Off road I have to spin 'em up some to keep 'em cleaned out in the river bottoms, but they get me where I'm going every time. I was worried about the sidewalls mixxing it up with the river rocks and all is well.
I "air down" when the snow flies and becomes hard packed, to 25 psi because I felt like I wasn't hooking up, it could've been my imagination.
I'll buy them again, if I ever wear these out.
The Goodyear "work horse" I put on the The Great White Hope have held up well and have put up with a ton of abuse cutting firewood, BUT, for the cost don't seem worth the money spent.

White Spider posted a set of tires I used to run on my 2wd GMC, Bias Ply,,and I agree 100%. If I could find a set, I would put them on the Great White Hope. I thought they were Kelly Springfield, back in the day,?
My truck is lucky to see 3k miles a year, and road noise/ride quality wouldn't be an issue, the old GMC was stuck only one time in 11 years cutting firewood running the old M/S bias ply., my buddy called 'em "pizza cutters" 'cause they looked tall and skinny..LOL

They don't hold up on a heavy diesel when hauling a lot. Less than 30k miles for them is not worth it. I had the rugged trail bfg go almost 50k on my ram 3500. I got a set of Firestone at on it now and have 23.5k on it and the tread is over half gone. I have hauled a lot of heavy loads in the dump trailer.

I get 30-40k out of them on my 97 F250 powerstoke even with the crappy TTB suspension. Gotta keep it aligned/rotated/inflated for maximum life

I get 30-40k out of them on my 97 F250 powerstoke even with the crappy TTB suspension. Gotta keep it aligned/rotated/inflated for maximum life

The air was always good. Loading the trailers with 15-16k lbs of hay or tractor and bailer killed them.

White Spider posted a set of tires I used to run on my 2wd GMC, Bias Ply,,and I agree 100%. ...the old GMC was stuck only one time in 11 years cutting firewood running the old M/S bias ply.

Sadly... most of these guys will ever know.
Pavement and high speed travel has made the radial tire a mainstay.
Fancy tread and raised white letters mean zip when you need raw traction.
And even worse, if ya' let those guys drive a set of side lug, bias ply traction tires, they'd be stuck to their axles in thirty seconds... 'cause they have no clue how to use them.
If they're spinnin'... ya' done screwed up‼

Coopers 33 12.50s on the farm truck. On my everyday rigs hank kooks do really well on dirt roads but not pavement.

I ran Sport Kings for about 20 years and never got stock and never had a flat. The last set gave me a blow out that ripped my whole finder off.
They quit making them so I went with the ****/cepek mud country 32x15's
There very quiet on the street and seem to work just as good as the Sport Kings did.
Just remember long tread life usually means a hard rubber compound.
Harder rubber equates to long life but less traction, especially when wet.
In cold climate's a hard tire can really suck.

I've got an 05 Nissan Frontier, and up until last September it was a commuter truck, and occasionally went off-road for bonfires, fishing trips, and hunting trips. I've been running Michelin LXT A/T2 for 30k miles, and would put them on again in a heartbeat if the truck was still my daily driver. They handle the best on-road in all conditions, wear great, and do OK off-road. Previous tires I've had on this truck are the Pirelli Scorpions, which I was never able to get balanced correctly, and got worse gas mileage, but they performed ok on road, and a little better than the Michelin's off-road. I also had a set of Bridgestone A/T Revo's, which were my favorite tire by far since they performed great on and off road, but I barely got 40k miles out of them. Now that my truck only does weekend duty, I'll probably get a set of Revo's when it's time to replace the Michelins (which might be awhile).

I also had a set of the Revo's on a 98 Ford Ranger, and got similar life on that set. I had a set of Yokohama Geolander A/T's too on the Ranger, and they performed almost as well as the Revo's but only lasted 32k miles.

With years of off roading I have discovered that tire width can make a big deference in performance.
A fat tire helps in flotation but makes it hard for them to dig down to solid ground.
Too narrow and well you guessed it, They sink like a rock.
This changes with gross vehicle weight though.

Latest posts

Back