Little jag of hedge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckr74

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cut this yesterday at my sister's place in the timber. Actually I downed it about 5 years ago and forgot it was there. Already on the ground just had to cut it to length. Made almost a full load after it was split.

Cut this yesterday at my sister's place in the timber. Actually I downed it about 5 years ago and forgot it was there. Already on the ground just had to cut it to length. Made almost a full load after it was split.

hmm....I wonder why....

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\Picture001-1.jpg

Sorry, I'll try again some other time. Was a pretty good pic,too bad no one else could see it. So much for shortcuts.

decent size hedge tree. hard on the chain? split is green. once it dries, it will be a pain!

This stuff is really dry (seasoned). Little hard on chains I guess and see a few sparks once in a while. Alot of it was almost black on the outside if you've ever seen aged stuff with no bark. I love it because when it burns there is very little ash and the chunks turn cherry red for a long time.

This stuff is really dry (seasoned). Little hard on chains I guess and see a few sparks once in a while. Alot of it was almost black on the outside if you've ever seen aged stuff with no bark. I love it because when it burns there is very little ash and the chunks turn cherry red for a long time.

Carefull how much you load the stove. It makes enough heat to warp them!

Be careful when burning that wood. It will spoil you against anything else. Of course I see where you are from and you know this already.
Nice score ! ! don't you just love how they sound like bricks clanking together when you throw them on the pile ?

Hedge BABY ! SWEEEET !!!! as my kids like to say when they see me dragging in a couple chunks on a cold January night.

Once the stove get up to temp and secondary kicked in there is almost no orange flames dancing on top of the wood. I all transparent blue flame. Looks a propane flame on a cookstove. Good stuff.

Yes I believe that is what they are talking about. We have alot of it around but I've not burned any yet.
PS. hedge,,otherwise known as osage orange

When you guys say "hedge" do you mean hedge apple?
YEP ! thats the stuff . Was grown here in the central plains and MidWest as a living fence (hedge row) to hold livestock.

Makes great firewood, but seldom grows straight.

AIM , ? What are you waiting on ? Get some, season it and feed it in slow till you get used to it. You'd think it was coal when it's good and dry.

Last edited:
Back