live oak??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally, on the oak I deal with, I am able to split it in half with my Fiskars with a couple of hits as long as the round does not have any knots.

Most of the oak I get is like that as well, but I have never tried one of these other ones.

Are you serious? Oak is one of the easier things I split. It's a ton easier than hickory.

What do you split with? I have had the opposite experience. Hickory is harder to come by here (oak, especially red is plentiful) but I split up some rounds of hickory this week that where 22-28" and thought it was pretty easy to split.

What do you split with? I have had the opposite experience. Hickory is harder to come by here (oak, especially red is plentiful) but I split up some rounds of hickory this week that where 22-28" and thought it was pretty easy to split.

In my experience, oak is far easier to split than hickory. I am not saying hickory is impossible to split, it is just more stringy.

We have lots of oak down here of all species. Most split pretty well but live oak is another story. Red oak, post oak, bur oak, saw tooth oak, holly oak, white oak and live oak are common where I live and I have split them all.

I am often asked if I want free live oak and I always pass.

The grain of the live oak is like a weave, it wants to tear more then split.

It does burn very hot and a long time if you manage to split it.

I can put a 30” piece of post oak in my 22 ton splitter and it splits no problem. Put a 10” piece of live oak in there and the splitter comes to a sudden stop.

Oaks vary in grain structure, live oak the most difficult to split--red oak the easiest. Some black jack oak and some post oak can also be hard to split when the next tree of the same variety just pops apart. Also, some trees split easier with the rounds setting like they grew others split easier with the root ends up.

Some oak and some hickory seem to me to be easier to split with a maul than with hydro. The more complex the grain structure is the faster a maul works compared to a splitter.

Last edited:
The live oak I have here at my place is all hand sit with maul and wedges, have split with splitter for other people and stalled 33 ton splitters in it on 8-10" rounds green and some dry with cracks running one end to the other. Some splits like a dream most will kick scream claw and bite every bit of the way though.

I've burned some live oak limbs that didn't need to be split. It's great burning wood when seasoned, but I can't say how it splits.

Latest posts

Back