Load of Mesquite; stacked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cut up this load this morning and brought it home. It's about half a cord; but my short bed truck with a tool box can't carry much more !

Went through 2 saw chains; they would get noticeably dull. Just one fuel fill-up for this little load. We use it in our backyard pit or in our tent stove for hunting or camping in the mountains.

KRS

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Ya, it's not 1/2 cord but I had to declare something on the BLM permit.

It's a 1 ton cummins with airbags and a liftgate.

It feels good to get some done though... even though it's not 1/2 cord :)

I wished I had mesquite around here!! I pay through the nose for a lousy bag of chips to use on my BBQ its great stuff for authentic taste love it!! thanks for the pics I'll think of my weber everytime I look at this post! Thanks irishcountry

I know mesquite is hard as a rock but how in the world do you go though two chains on one tank of gas? :confused:

I know mesquite is hard as a rock but how in the world do you go though two chains on one tank of gas? :confused:

One fill up; started full so two full tanks.

But; mesquite is very hard stuff and the first chain was used and hadn't been sharpened again.

KRS

Thanks for posting ...I always thought Mesquite was a small bush type tree that was used for smoking fish or meat...had no idea they got that big. Holy Cow!....you can really learn stuff here.

But; mesquite is very hard stuff and the first chain was used and hadn't been sharpened again.

KRS

Mesquite is tough stuff!! I still have logs I have not tried to split since last year. Wait until you try cutting wash grown tamarack:jawdrop: It is tough to cut, hard to split and leaves alot of ash BUT burns along time.

KRS, where in arizona are you? I am in Kingman, maybe we can hook up and help each other out:)

Doug

KRS

Wow, I thought hickory was hard on chains. Glad there isnt any of that stuff around here, although it sure is great for smoking meat!

I'm in Sierra Vista; the far corner of the state from Kingman :)

Thank you all for the replies !

Mesquite is dense, but....

Hey Folks,

Nice Score KRS and nice pic's:cheers:

Mesquite is pretty rampant down here in Southern AZ. It can grow very large in diameter (2+ feet) and is very dense, awesome to barbecue and grill and terrific firewood. The only two other species of wood that I cut, have better BTU factor and are harder than mesquite are (ranked in order of hardness):

1. African Sumac: WOW!:censored: This is extremely dense firewood, occasional sparks and awesome BTU's - brutal on chains. Good luck trying to split it when its dry (Forget About it....) you'll need to muscle up... use a sledge, wedges, and prayer. This tree is for residential purposes and has great shade, drought resistant (grows like a weed in S.Africa) but susceptible to cotton rot or Texas root rot. Claimed 1 of my sumac's last year:( . Made awesome firewood though. Interesting enough, people cut it down and dismiss it as of no value. More firewood for me!!:rock:

2. Gum (Eucalyptus)- brutal on chains, awesome firewood, burns nice and slow and smells great. Favorite wood to cut, due to its large diameter (3-4 feet diameter). Hard to come by because it is a residential tree and doesn't grow wild like mesquite.

3. Mesquite

**I hope to meet with KRS on the Thanksgiving weekend, but I think my wife has already made plans for us:cry: I'' PM you KRS and let you know.

valleyboy

**I hope to meet with KRS on the Thanksgiving weekend, but I think my wife has already made plans for us:cry: I'' PM you KRS and let you know.

valleyboy

Sure, leave the northern boy out:censored: I am joking:buttkick:

It is tough in az to get wood, we on our own out here!

Doug

P.S. I love gum trees, my chains hate them and I have to go to Kali to dads house to get it>

Last edited:

valleyboy

Hey, we hope to see you if your plans fall through. Lots of wood to cut so bring an extra chain !

KRS

Not trying to rain on the parade but thata don't look like anything close to half a cord.:givebeer:

I wasn't trying to be an butthead just simply commenting.

Understood that you were not butheading, you made a good point, politely.

What ever that measurement is, I would trade him 3 cords easy, of Douglas Fir for that stack, delivered, that is the good stuff. Doubt it, cook a stake on it.

Nice haul KRS! :cheers:

Going tomorrow; meeting just off the pavement at 7:15am,

KRS

Back