"loading" the saw and running in 346xp/5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildbio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In a number of threads talking about which chain to use on the 346XP NE and the 5100s folks have suggested that the narrow kerf chains (and .325 in general) will not load the saw properly for running/breaking in. Couple of quotes in other threads from knowledgeable posters:
"The 95VP won't load that saw properly"
“3/8 is much better suited for this saw, the saw engine will not break in to full potential running .325"

Could someone please explain?

Its self explanitory.

You need to make the saw bog down under load to get it to break in correctly, and with .325 or any narrow kerf chain its not as easy to do as with 3/8 .

I am a bit puzzled at this as well - but I have read enough about it to put an 8-pin .325 on the NE346xp a bit sooner than I originally thought - it probably will put an even heavier load to it than a 3/8 7-pin will, with 21LP chain.....:)

Last edited:
i think somebody need to step away from the pipe if they think you cant break your saw in with narrow kerf.

on a better note, im sitting here looking at a new 16" GB bar and 3/8 LGX to try on my 346xp NE.

thanks Tony!

+1 wanab

i think somebody need to step away from the pipe if they think you cant break your saw in with narrow kerf.

on a better note, im sitting here looking at a new 16" GB bar and 3/8 LGX to try on my 346xp NE.

thanks Tony!

Yeah I'm sure Husky knew the saws wouldn't break in properly. . . so that's why they spec the narrow kerf - give me a break. I'll let you know if mine doesn't run in!

AL :dizzy:

Last edited:
In a number of threads talking about which chain to use on the 346XP NE and the 5100s folks have suggested that the narrow kerf chains (and .325 in general) will not load the saw properly for running/breaking in. Couple of quotes in other threads from knowledgeable posters:
"The 95VP won't load that saw properly"
“3/8 is much better suited for this saw, the saw engine will not break in to full potential running .325"

Could someone please explain?

there's one word for that theory, HOGWASH.

How funny............I'm sure you couldn't just push down a couple extra pounds on the saw to make it work harder and labor!!!!!!!!! :dizzy:

Wildbio, I am starting breaking in a brand new 346NE complete with epa specs tomorrow with 16" bar and 95vp chain I will let you know how loaded it was on Monday! HTH

BTW I cut some fast cookies out back of my shop up and down as fast as I could push the saw in 8" elm and I dont think I will have any trouble giving it a work out in an 18" elm with 95vp but I may be wrong?

.325, 3/8 low pro, NK, blah. Whats the point.

I'm guessing Husky knows it doesn't pull 3/8 well, as they sell it with .325. whereas Dolmar sells theirs either way.

Why have a saw with more/differant chain to buy. One reel does all my saws.

3/8 is faster (if saw can pull it), easier to sharpen, lasts a little longer imo, and well I just like 3/8.

I won't own a saw that can't pull 3/8 chain. I don't need a tophandle for what I do, so no little chain for me. I guess the small chain is usefull in saws that have lackluster performance

Last edited:
Steve
Just try it.
Now I mean to tell ya I like 3/8 my self

Now you put a low profile chain, and yes you will see a differance.

Chainsaw master blew my mind on this one.
his 346 low profile set up flew through wood.
I was amazed.

Now I'm not trying to make a dolmar or husky thing out of this.
try it on your dolmar as well.

Last edited:
I understand wanting to put the saw under a load but I would not want to bog it especially during break-in. I don't know that I believe a .325 pitch chain will not allow the saw to break in properly....and I haven't heard anything here that would convince me otherwise.

thanks Tony!

Glad you got it. Thanks for your recent orders. I believe you have AS Fever, never have enough saws. :clap: :clap: Tony

The NE 346 has no problem pulling a 16" 3/8 setup, at least the non cat version I ran did

Well, that is great to hear. The couple dealers I talked to said they wouldn't pull them very well. The one I ran had .325 on it, and I wasn't that impressed. It ran good, but I liked my 5100 better.

Well, that is great to hear. The couple dealers I talked to said they wouldn't pull them very well. The one I ran had .325 on it, and I wasn't that impressed. It ran good, but I liked my 5100 better.
Thats good to hear, it means my 5100 will kick my BIL's 346XP when I get it:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back