Loaning your saws out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He can't come up with a hundred dollars for a used saw? That means a 50 buck CL score then some new lines and filters and a tune and some files.

And he already trashed another saw???

BIL or not, tough noogies. Just say, "sorry man, can't do the saw loan deal anymore, don't have a loaner. Just go grab you a cheap one, I'll check it out for you" You've done your family bit, offered to check it out, and also preserved your own saws, and avoided getting freaked out when he trashes another one.

Also, to be practical, sounds like the kinda guy who really shouldn't be running a saw anyway.

go find an old piece of iron like a lombardo or david bradley or some just as heavy and slow. after giving himself an unnecessary day of punishment he'll go buy himself his own saw.

I tell them: "Home Depot rents out a good Makita chainsaw...with a new chain and one gallon of fuel".

Everyone who knows me and the way I am about my saws know better than to even ask. :msp_biggrin:

They'll usually just ask me to come cut something up or down for them.

Funny thing is, I'd let alot of the fellows here borrow one without a second thought.

No more loaning out saws..!! - To many bad returns - -If it's a little job...I'll come do it for free or for cheap.

Tell him to either buy one of his own - or go to Home Depot or a rental equipment place and rent one..!!

AND... Relatives...are worse than strangers..!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Relatives can be the worst. My Brother-in-law works for an auto shop and tire store, he gets me reasonably priced labor and parts. I recently had to use his car, to drive maybe 10 miles, while mine was being worked on. The tank was empty so I filled it. I told him I did so. He didn't pay me back. This didn't bother me, I figured he'd help me out somewhere down the line.

However, today he and his fiance borrowed My wife's van to pick up the my in-laws and their two friends from the airport with luggage. Checked the tank upon return...1/4...:beat_brick: C'mon Man! It was less than a month ago I put fifty bucks into his car, and he couldn't even see to it that the tank was at least the same as when he picked it up. Relatives feel there is no reason to be courteous because you aren't going anywhere and you have to put up with them whether you like it or not. To top it all off, my wife says she is pretty sure they smoked in the thing too:angry:.

I know it has nothing to do with the post really, just wanted to vent a bit.

Relatives can be the worst. My Brother-in-law works for an auto shop and tire store, he gets me reasonably priced labor and parts. I recently had to use his car, to drive maybe 10 miles, while mine was being worked on. The tank was empty so I filled it. I told him I did so. He didn't pay me back. This didn't bother me, I figured he'd help me out somewhere down the line.

However, today he and his fiance borrowed My wife's van to pick up the my in-laws and their two friends from the airport with luggage. Checked the tank upon return...1/4...:beat_brick: C'mon Man! It was less than a month ago I put fifty bucks into his car, and he couldn't even see to it that the tank was at least the same as when he picked it up. Relatives feel there is no reason to be courteous because you aren't going anywhere and you have to put up with them whether you like it or not. To top it all off, my wife says she is pretty sure they smoked in the thing too:angry:.

I know it has nothing to do with the post really, just wanted to vent a bit.

My own brother (who i love to death) and his new wife have the biggest sense of "entitlement" ive ever seen in anyone. It drives me nuts and this is exactly what they would do!!

My brother would probably saw his foot off if i lent him a chain saw. (Even a mini mac) I wouldnt trust him to handle a screwdriver properly! Hes about as mechanical as a sofa!:bang:

My Father taught me not to borrow tools. If you couldn't afford it, you didn't need it. If you need something once to "borrow" then you will need it again...

I have lent out less grade saws and got them back in broken and straight gassed... Never again

I've learned my lesson loaning saws out the hard way, now I'll do it or point them elsewhere. It grinds my gears when I hear "come on it's only a saw", telling the replacement cost usually shuts them up.

All our saws are on the farm and my uncles farm is next to ours. The extended family have been borrowing each others saws and assorted equipment for decades without an issue.
We all understand machinery and we'd all rather see these things used than sit idle in pristine condition on the shelf! The 034AV I have has been in the back of the ute for the last 20 years and that ute never sees the inside of a shed. Still runs every time.

Guess I'm just lucky...

I know exactly where the OP is coming from.

I can't stand people borrowing stuff they don't understand nor care for.

The thing for me is, you buy a $1000+ pro saw, care for it, always fresh 98 fuel, always good quality bar oil, always make sure the bar oil is not empty.
Don't run a dull chain, don't bury it in the dirt etc. etc. etc.

Then someone asks can I borrow your saw and I can't say no, but, they think it's a $100 item not worth over 10 times that!
They throw it in the back of the ute, let it get smashed around when driving, leave it out in the rain, drive it in the dirt, forget to put bar oil in, run the cheapest fuel and 2T oil...

It just get to you in the end!
Glad I have a $80 ebay special saw as a loaner now.

Never lend a saw unless you are fully prepared (emotionally and financially) to not get it back in operating order.

Agree totally.

Money, guns, saws, tools, and books.

If they are a good enough friend, you give it to them. If you don't get it back,They were a good enough friend in the first place, don't look back.

There is a darn good reason why.

That said. I have a few good friends. Many people I have met.

To the O.P. There are lots of saws out there. If you need a cheap one to loan out, I can send you a mini MAC. I like the idea of getting a boat anchor for a loaner. I may try that, though I have had no trouble with any saws I have loaned. I do insist they use my mix, and do NOT have the chain sharpened somewhere. I'd rather do it myself than lose 1/3 of the cutter length.

Via Samsung Galaxy S3

i never loan equipment out any more,, i did that a couple of times and both times my mower came back in pieces,, the only time i would ever loan a saw out is if it is my neighbor dhibbs75 or someone off of AS

OP says BIL is going to use it to cut firewood for sale. Essentially you are loaning him your depreciation on your equipment so he can make money with it. This kind of proposition would make me mad. He isn't even offering you a piece of the payday.

Where I come from, if a friend needs a tool to make money with, it is polite to offer a part of the job so I can make money off of the deal. We do it all of the time. You get your depreciation paid and the job gets done.

If he is selling, you get a piece, period.

Dan

Back