Local dealer news...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Was dropping off a pole saw at the saw shop today, and noticed his shelf stock of Huskies was dwindling. So I asked, half joking, if they were dumping Husqvarna. He said YES!!!

He told me that the local dealers get their items back-ordered because Lowes, Sears, TSC, and all the other large retailers get first dibs on their products. He told me his last order of Saws would be back-ordered 3 MONTHS!!! So they said cancel the order, and thats it.....He is going to try to continue to provide service and parts, but he isn't sure if Husky will continue to let him get parts if he isn't buying saws.

CaseyForrest said:
Was dropping off a pole saw at the saw shop today, and noticed his shelf stock of Huskies was dwindling. So I asked, half joking, if they were dumping Husqvarna. He said YES!!!

He told me that the local dealers get their items back-ordered because Lowes, Sears, TSC, and all the other large retailers get first dibs on their products. He told me his last order of Saws would be back-ordered 3 MONTHS!!! So they said cancel the order, and thats it.....He is going to try to continue to provide service and parts, but he isn't sure if Husky will continue to let him get parts if he isn't buying saws.

Thats a bummer for the dealer and all his Husky customers. Doesn't seem right but when your a big corp like Husky you have to make the money fast, the stockholders are watching the numbers. Lowes, Sears and Tractor Supply are spending millions with Husky verses a dealer spending thousands.
Hopefully Husky will take those millions they are making and beef up production so they can supply both dealer and stores as time goes on.

THALL10326 said:
Hopefully Husky will take those millions they are making and beef up production so they can supply both dealer and stores as time goes on.

Not likely. More likely they'll use them to beef up this quarters numbers, and worry about next quarter... Next quarter.

That's what publicly traded companies do.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Not likely. More likely they'll use them to beef up this quarters numbers, and worry about next quarter... Next quarter.

That's what publicly traded companies do.

True Mark, we talked about that Friday. I remember you telling me about that outfit where you questioned the CEO yourself. Its a shame, a real shame. Didn't you say he boosted about going quarter to quarter and not worry about the future?

Seems as big a company as Husky is they could supply both dealer and stores. I sure hope Spike doesn't run into this problem. He sells a awful lot of Huskies. Maybe they base it on who is selling the most in a certain area?? I got no clue but it seems a shame a dealer was told that, thats ruff...

I guess ECHO will be next. I am already seeing it happen in Texas. Dealer support has gone down in order to service the Depot.

fishhuntcutwood said:
And people complain about Stihl's dealership policies. :bang:

I hope Husky, and the box stores are happy in bed together in ten years....or less.

Not many Husky dealers in Texas except for the box stores so they have resorted to selling direct to the commercial customer to gain some ground back. Even with the prices that they offer they still cannot get it done out here. Some of the STIHL dealers here got a free trip to Vegas, wined and dined by Husky to still be told no thanks. I love it and hope it keeps happening to them.

Very sad to hear!!!! Husky makes some damn fine saws, may be going the Poulan way now!!!!
Andy

I have a hard time believing Husky would backorder saws for 3 months. This doesn't add up. I wonder if the dealer had its bill paid?

It is typical of the times when manufacturers bend over backwards for their big box store accounts and poop on the mom & pop stores. :buttkick: However, I have not seen Lowes, Sears, or TSC carry any saws other than the home owner models. The Husky stock at the Lowes closest to me is a joke. Try to find a XP model at one of these places. They get top dollar for the home owner line anyway. Hope you like safety chains, since that's all they carry. Spare parts? LOL. Knowledgeable sales personel? LOL. My sympathy to Casey's dealer.

There's got to be more to the story guys. Box stores are the scapegoats for all of the small dealer's troubles, and that sounds like what's happening in this case.

It has happened here to a local dealer but the switch over to Jonsered is simple.

Bill

Space, your theroy may hold watter if his Stihl shelves werent overflowing. His shop doesnt appear to be struggling. I dont believe dropping the Husky line came at a great loss to him, he prefers Stihl anyway. Im not going to ask him about his financials though.

As for using the big stores as a scapegoat....for what? He didnt appear to be complaining, just didnt want to have to wait so long to get saws in. Maybe its that he is looking out for his customers, by not telling them they will have to wait 3 months to get the saw they want? In which case they can walk 5' and pick up a new 441!!!!

Im in no way bashing Husqvarna, fine saws IMO, just dont feel right in my hands. Other than that 338 he has, I may be interested in that one.

computeruser said:
That's some interesting stuff.

Once he has the Husqvarna stuff gone, there will be plenty of space for him to start selling some Dolmar saws!!!

I wouldnt mind seeing that either!!! I may suggest that to him, but I dont see it actually happening.

Interesting, my local and good friend dealer sells Stihl, Dolmar, Husky all under one roof. They do ok but are not blowing saws out the door. I can get anything I want with a Husky name on it by Wednesday or Thursday if it is not there when I walk in on Monday.

I ought to tread lightly here. Spacemule could be right about the bill paying problem. And remember that a dealer can get into trouble with one company while remaining on good terms with another. I have had no trouble getting saws from husky, except for an individual model that may be backordered. The one thing that Husky does better than anyone is to get orders shipped out promptly.

Since the guy is a Stihl dealer, he probably just prefers the way Stihl treats their dealers, as opposed to Husky. There has been much talk on AS about Stihls "restrictive" dealer policies. Yet there hasn't been much discussion about Husky's "free for all" marketing approach where anybody and everybody, big or small, in town or on the web, can sell the saws. Naturally, this would only be perceived as a problem by dealers, hence little discussion.

But the result of this is the eroding loyalty of Husky dealers. And that's why you guys are coming up with some of the examples you have where dealers are saying "the heck with it!", and bagging the line. I sell the saws, but have backed off from the other product categories. For my other brands, I am the only dealer in the county, and I do very well with them. There are as many places selling Husky in the county as there are McDonalds! And that doesn't include all of the internet stuff. So, as I said to my rep, "Why should I put my effort into Husky?"

Also, the huge number , and types of places that sell Husky increases the confrontations where a customer walks into dealer looking for service on something he bought elsewhere. NO dealer enjoys this. (I know I've gone on about this too many times on AS)

Husky gets away with this in large part because they have incredable brand recognition and fierce loyalty from a lot of pro users. They are a "numbers" company, and their numbers are up, so to them, it's working. But they need to address the reality that at the dealer level, where the service takes place, the enthusiasm for the line is dropping. I've already added Jonsered and Dolmar, and I'm not alone.

I don't think this dealer has not paid his bills because I have seen the same thing on statements from Husky as well. Some saws that were ordered a month ago were said to not ship tell begining of Sept.

Another thing with Husky is that they will not put your name on their website as a dealer unless you are a "Total Source Dealer" which means you have to purchase so many tractors, mowers, generators, power washer, handheld in order to be the "Total Source" If Husky doesnt support the dealer then why support them?

The Husky rep had said they had about 4500 dealers and expected 1500 in 5 to 10 years. I know dealers are dropping but that seems a lot to me, I didnt ask why such a drop, maybe next time he is in.

Got the Dolmar guy coming in to check out a new line though! :cheers:

Back