Local HD has saws for sale.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My local HD rental store has 2 makitas for sale. Both are priced $205, and both feel like they have good compression. They are in excellent cosmetic condition as well. If anyone wants one let me know, and we can work it out.

Which model? 6401? I was talking to my HD about their 2 Makitas and they said they have to reach the 200% mark first. Thats price of sale plus the rental fees. The 2 saws they have right now are only at 30% after 11 months of rentals.

I advise against buying from a rental yard, they get rid off stuff for reason, like cause its gonna calf cause retards have used/abused them. Just my opinion, but think about the horror stories Andy and Thall etc. tell us about what they have seen people do to saws.

Nice offer

Casey,

I thank you for making the offer to the Arboristsite community. I've heard very good things about those saws, and that is a very good price for a saw in that class, no doubt. With you checking them out for an interested party it would be as safe a deal on a used saw can be.

Thanks again.

MarkG

Well, I took CaseyForrest's suggestion and rolled over to HomeDepot this morning. I figure that it was worth a shot, and it will be a nice experiment to see how long an ex-HomeDepotRental saw will last without major work.

The saws they had looked pretty good, ran/felt pretty strong, and the rental department guy gave me a bit of a deal above and beyond the $205 price tag, too.

resized_HD_6401_Makita_02a.jpg

And as an added bonus, now my 7900 won't feel all alone in a garage populated primarily by Stihls.

resized_6401_7900_01a.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the 6401 hasnt even been used that much. But then pics do hide stuff, is it really in that good of shape? Looks perfect in pic and the pair look so happy together.

Nice....hope it works out.....i here great things about those saws....I guess that means i need to get one :D

Cut4fun said:
Looks like the 6401 hasnt even been used that much. But then pics do hide stuff, is it really in that good of shape? Looks perfect in pic and the pair look so happy together.

The pics really aren't hiding that much - it is surprisingly clean. The plastic looks great (except where I sanded off the HomeDepot engraving on the top), and the bottom looks good. The bar that came with it was unevenly worn on one side and now hangs on the wall as a "just to finish the job" spare.

resized_HD_6401_Makita_03a.jpg

Only complaint is that the AV mounts are kinda tired, at least when compared to my 7900, but that'll be easy enough to swap when the time comes. I haven't pulled the muffler yet, but I'll be interested to see how the piston is doing when I get around to pulling it for a muffler mod.

A new family photo, minus the classics:

resized_Saws_04a.jpg

Last edited:
my local HD is selling new ones in front of the........

renatl cage for $539 with a 20" bar.not bad but i don't know where to get parts so i'll stick with husqvarna.

hornett22 said:
renatl cage for $539 with a 20" bar.not bad but i don't know where to get parts so i'll stick with husqvarna.
You would get parts from your local Dolmar dealer 9 miles from you for a 6400. That new price on the new makita 6401 is high you looked at for 539, should be in low 400's. Your local Dolmar dealer is.
Name: PORTLAND POWER EQUIPMENT
Address: USA-6480 PORTLAND
1125 PORTLAND-COBALT RD.

I am ashamed to say it but i am an ex big orange box employee. the rental center that they run is very meticulous they will only run the chains on those saws once. when the customer brings the saw back they flip the bar throw away the chain replace with new not resharpened pressure wash blow dry and grease the tip. they will sell equipment at 200% or after 3 years. Up until Katrina hit my local store still had brand new in box makita/dolmars never used and if not for the storm they would have sold at hd auction for cheap

Hey freakinstang.......

Hers the pics. Saw seems excellent except for the piece missing from the case right where the adjuster for the oiler is. Has awesome compression, and 3 new chains, all-beit safety chains, that will go with it. I paid $218, you cover that and shipping and its yours.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hey Fstang, i see you will be adding a 7900 jug and piston soon to a makita 6401. That will give you a 7900/7901 for just under $400.

Last edited:
Seems like the 6401 is starting to get popular...Great saw at a great price...Now that 7900 jug and piston...is this a direct bolt on? I'm leaning toward that direction..
Now ported and muff-modded, this 6401 screams!
Ron
medium.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back