Local HD has saws for sale.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cuttinscott said:
Ron how come your new chain is missing a tooth?

Scott

You know what Scott? I noticed that too, so I went and looked at the chain. It is where they closed the loop.
Ron
large.jpg

they can't close a loop with a tooth?

i waited in line at my HD yeasterday.they were to busy so i'll go back again.they had a few on the shelf for rent.not sure if they are selling them.they do have a sign that says they sell used equipment.what is the max i should pay? they don't look as good as the one in the pics.

went back to HD tonight.......

to pick up a case of crack pipe filters and they were dead.swung buy the rental cage and found out they had two for sale @ $205 a piece.i think i'll pick one up .let me know if any of you want the other.you can paypal me the coin plus 10 or 15 for shipping.you may be able to call and buy it with your CC.not sure if they would ship it though.maybe a store transfer or something.

TwoTurboVolvos said:
I guess I got a sub-par assembler.:( This is what's called a semi-semi-semi- semi skip tooth chain.:laugh:
Ron

actually I think that is called double full skip....

hornett, pm sent to ya...

well,the other saw came back.

one of the sprocket cover studs came out with the nut.nothing broken or stripped.bar on this one is smoked though.you could clean it up but i wouldn't bother.guy there tonight didn't seem to know his ass from his forehead so i'll see the rental manger tomorrow and get the full scoop.these damn things do seem awful heavy though.i may have to get a shoulder strap.

Does anyone know the typical days rented on a Home Depot 6401? I looked at one today and it had 64 total rental days and 42 total rentals. I imagine the saws down here (Austin, Tx) see less action than the saws in the north, but I curious if anyone had asked about days rented. I am moving to upstate NY soon and thought it probably made more sense to buy one of these down here...

First time poster here, though I have been around wood cutting for many years. I have checked with several HD stores around southeast Michigan for a ex-rental 6400 Makita-Dolmar (to replace my 041av Stihl). The few that had them for sale had prices of $240, $255, and $256. I have read several post (even recent ones) that have said that they were going for $205 and in one case less. Does anyone know if they raised their prices, changed the rental days formula, or is this a SE Michigan thing? Bill

The kid at the local HD said that they were going to start charging a bit more for them in exchange for moving them sooner. Not sure if this is true, but he suspected that they'd be going for about $220 versus $205 the next time they came up for sale.

Even at $250, you're still getting a good deal, in my opinion.

Which HD was selling them? I might be back in the Detroit area soon and would not mind grabbing another one.

Around Cincinnati they were $205 a couple of months ago. Almost bought one. Upon closer examination, the one I had looked at was pretty rough looking. It looked like it had fallen out of the back of a truck. The gas tank had been patched with JB Weld. The drive rim appeared to be the original one that came on the saw. Decided to pass on that one.

I've seen a couple beat-up ones, too. Most of them that I've seen look more like the one I have pictured above, though. I bought this saw to give to a buddy and it has been a flawless performer. Obviously there is some risk associated with buying used equipment, and especially with buying used rental equipment, but if you're on a tight budget or want a backup saw, you'll get a lot further with a dinged-up 6401 than with a new MS210!

Oh, and since I forgot in my last post, welcome to ArboristSite, Sojourner07.

I paid $205 for mine this spring, with a new bar, a couple of new chains, and some oil.

Mine isnt purty, but it doesnt look terrible, and its been 100% reliable so far.

Its my understanding that HD will sell any piece of equipment they rent..... they have a formula that calculates the value based on how many times its been rented. They also sell all equipment after a certian number of rentals..... So lets say a saw with 200 rentals sells for $205.00, a saw that has 150 rentals might sell for $250. They do not take into consideration the actual running hours, but the times it leaves the store on rental.

Thats the way it was explained to me by the manager of a HD Rental Center. I was looking at the Makita's and they were BEAT..... so I pick up one of the nicer one on the shelve and asked: Is this one $205? He did some calulations and said, No, its $315.

I called all the rental HD's in my area (STL) and none of them sell until they have reached (IIRC) 2 years or 200%.

Those numbers may not be correct, but I know they wont just sell any rental in this area. Of all the HD's I called (about 6) only one had a saw they would sell.

I had heard from others on here that a few months earlier, there were a couple different locations that had them available, but when I called (twice, each place) this was the only one for sale.

Hope this helps.:cheers:

Might be just that way the manager of the HD interperts the rules...... I rented a Landa Powerwasher and when I returned it I asked how much to buy it..... the manager said $380..... a great deal. So I bought it. Maybe the unit was passed its required rental times, I never asked, just paid the man and RAN!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back