Local HD has saws for sale.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodTick007 said:
Might be just that way the manager of the HD interperts the rules......

I think you are right. When I went in they didn't have any saws for sale. We shot the breeze about the 6401 for a few minutes and then he went to check when one was coming up for sale. Next thing I knew was I could buy it a month before it came up for sale. It also sounded like the different corporate regions (Gulf, Atlantic, etc) handled rental sales slightly different.

Thanks for all the response! There is a lot of knowledge on this site. I appreciate this sharing of infornation. I visited the 2 stores that still had saws for sale. The 2 saws in the one store were well used and junky. The other (Woodhaven, Mi.) had 1 saw and it was very clean and well cared for and the rental manager was very knowledgeable and helpfull. I bought the saw for $255 and am pleased with it. It had been in service 2 years and had 37 rentals (45 days) on it. I will now be looking for a 24" bar for it and eventually be turning it into a 6401/7900. Again, thanks for all the input! Bill

Urbicide said:
Spacemule, what is HD's policy on selling rental equipment?
I'm not familiar with the tool rental policies. However, since I've been at Home Depot, (18 months), none of the saws have come up for sale. Of course, they don't seem to be rented out much here from what I can tell.

I'm not familiar with the tool rental policies.

Spacemule:

I like your other idea of just putting saws in a plastic bag and walking out the door with them and bypassing the checkout line. But maybe that only works for new echos and not rental saws.:laugh:

spacemule said:
I'm not familiar with the tool rental policies. However, since I've been at Home Depot, (18 months), none of the saws have come up for sale. Of course, they don't seem to be rented out much here from what I can tell.

I can't confirm this, but someone that work'd at HD in the tool rental told me they get rid of them at 3 years, even if they were rented once.

Look at the serial # on the tag on the gas tank. The first four digits are the year and month ex 0601xxxxxx =January of 2006 build date. I scored my best 7900, I mean 6401 that I put a 7900 jug and piston on this way. It was close to the three year mark, but was only at 75% of the value. This saw wasn't rented much, but it looks like it too. All of the other saws were beat to hell. So if anyone is looking at saws, I would ask the dealer if you could demo it for a day before purchasing it. Take it to a reputible shop and have them check it out. I have seen a couple bottom end failures, leaking tanks at the seam, worn piston/cyl, etc.

Freakingstang said:
I can't confirm this, but someone that work'd at HD in the tool rental told me they get rid of them at 3 years, even if they were rented once.
That might be true. The store I work in is only about 2 1/2 years old. They might be coming up for sale soon.

Dang it, guys. Now you've got me thinking. About how much for the parts to do a 7900 upgrade to one of those things? I'm going to assume $150 ish, but would like a more accurate number.

Yeah, I need another saw like a hole in my head. Don't have time to use the ones I've got, but, it's hard to pass up a deal.

Mark

PS 7900 piston and cylinder and base gasket

038 130 030 piston assy., cylinder, and intake boot. $191.00
965 531 121 base gasket. $2.00

for those that are interested I will throw in UPS shipping for the month of October.

Scott

everybody here must be gettin lucky on Prices for the 6401. I called every HD in the Columbus metro area and only one store had a one for sale for $539.

Welcome

Stihlaman =The bug will bite hard and then you will want faster and faster. Once your cherry has been broke on a good woods port saw, stock saws just dont look the same to you. Hold on and glue that wallet shut, the ride is about to start. Weeeeeeeeeeeeweeeeeeee

I was just at HD near my brother's house and they have 3 6401's for sale @ $256 USD each....... The kid told me to call back on Friday and speak with the manager about lowering the price. What is the weight of those suckers with a 20inch bar? They seemed really heavy compared to my 044/038/2065..... alot heavier. If anyone is interested in a saw, I will sell and ship for exact cost plus $10 for gas. Let me know, My intention is to buy all three @ $150 each.

WoodTick007 said:
I was just at HD near my brother's house and they have 3 6401's for sale @ $256 USD each....... The kid told me to call back on Friday and speak with the manager about lowering the price. What is the weight of those suckers with a 20inch bar? They seemed really heavy compared to my 044/038/2065..... alot heavier. If anyone is interested in a saw, I will sell and ship for exact cost plus $10 for gas. Let me know, My intention is to buy all three @ $150 each.

I came across a few 6401's a few months ago for $215 ea.

Problem is I need another Dolmar like a hole in the head.............seeing that I already have 3 7900's!!!:chainsaw:

WoodTick007 said:

Did they give you an idea of how many times they have been rented? I looked a t one and it had been out 46 times which seemed like quite a few...

Cut4fun said:
Stihlaman =The bug will bite hard and then you will want faster and faster. Once your cherry has been broke on a good woods port saw, stock saws just dont look the same to you. Hold on and glue that wallet shut, the ride is about to start. Weeeeeeeeeeeeweeeeeeee
Well Cut4fun the bug has already bitten me just waitn on a good deal on a big (or bigger) saw to roll my way. not to mention all this talk of the makita oops i mean dolmar being a reliable saw has gotten me a little hot to trot.

dnhll said:
Did they give you an idea of how many times they have been rented? I looked a t one and it had been out 46 times which seemed like quite a few...

No... I never thought to ask. Are you looking for a saw to place on your coffee table? Or are you looking for a saw for wood cutting? They all look "used". These saws all spend the majority of their rental life sitting on the shelf at the store. When they are rented, they are used hard like any rental tool. To be honest, they look used hard.... my guess would be that none of them have over 100 hours. The one is covered with paint overspray and looks like $hit and they all have HD id number engraved into the handles and crankcases.

I read through this thread and then went to my local HD and bought a 6401 that had been rented out 40 times and seemed in pretty good shape. They also threw in an almost new husky helmet with muffs and face shield. total with tax=$218.53. I'll test it out in a few days. I am interested in the 7900 conversion. How much mechanical know how would it really take to make this conversion? I can do basic basic saw maintenance, but I don't even pretend to be a mechanic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hey all

just reading through this thread

wow 215 for a 6400 if anyone has found an extra in there local home depot send me a note i would be very interested as the closest hd is 3 hours away doooooh!!!

thanx for looking in advance:bowdown:

Latest posts

Back