Local HD has saws for sale.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ran into any 6400's at their local HD recently (2007). I'm in the market for one that i want for the 7900 conversion.
Finnbear

Finn, start watching the used market on the dolmar 7900's. I just sold one for a friend for $475 less then a year old like brand new and also seen one just sell on ebay for $440 like new. Plus i have found a spot for powerheads for 7900's for $569+shipping of $23.
Just in case you dont want to start with a thrashed rental 6401 saw for $215 and 7900 topend kit $200.

Probably have to buy a decent 6400 and do the conversion. I can use it as a 6400 for a little while and then spring for the big top end. Easier to spend a couple hundred here and there w/o trouble from the wife.
Finnbear

Easier to spend a couple hundred here and there w/o trouble from the wife.
Finnbear

Boy i understand you there. Try explaining to a wife why you got to have a 066,084,in ohio as a homeowner that dont even heat with wood. :ices_rofl:

Oh, Little trick I have learned. Buy the saw before you explain what the big ugly saw is on the kitchen table you are working on came from.

reality check

I'm thinking about buying one of the HD makitas & doing the 7900 conversion. Will I notice a huge difference compared to my good running 044?

I don't cut much bigger than 24" doug fir. mostly 16" alder.

I need someone to talk me out of it!

FOR SALE, one (maybe 2) 6401 jug and piston.

Heh...I finally called 4 HD's in my area, as I'd heard that they also rent the saws. I found 2 6401's that were just, as luck would have it, put up for sale today. I got the one with excellent compression, and turned my bud Eli on to the other one. Both are cosmetically great, and appear functionally fine, just that the other one was a tad low. They threw in an .050 brand new 20" Makita bar as well.

Price was $225 plus tax. I'm getting two jug kits from Baileys for $190 each....and will send mine out to someone to get it modded....hopefully it will start better when hot and cold that my 7900 modded by Dan Henry, and cut faster as well. That was one of the first 7900's he did, and it is underwhelming, compared to my ehp 372....

As I said earlier, the saw is a near perfect match with the color scheme of my chip truck!! It'll be great to have an oddball looking saw that will destroy a stock Husky or Stihl of comparable size and stay with or beat a 395 or 660 if they're stock.

FOR SALE, one (maybe 2) 6401 jug and piston.

Heh...I finally called 4 HD's in my area, as I'd heard that they also rent the saws. I found 2 6401's that were just, as luck would have it, put up for sale today. I got the one with excellent compression, and turned my bud Eli on to the other one. Both are cosmetically great, and appear functionally fine, just that the other one was a tad low. They threw in an .050 brand new 20" Makita bar as well.

Price was $225 plus tax. I'm getting two jug kits from Baileys for $190 each....and will send mine out to someone to get it modded....hopefully it will start better when hot and cold that my 7900 modded by Dan Henry, and cut faster as well. That was one of the first 7900's he did, and it is underwhelming, compared to my ehp 372....

As I said earlier, the saw is a near perfect match with the color scheme of my chip truck!! It'll be great to have an oddball looking saw that will destroy a stock Husky or Stihl of comparable size and stay with or beat a 395 or 660 if they're stock.

I also scored a newer 066 on ebay...and a like new 3120, that I had to pay a lot for, but it comes with 4 and 6 foot bars.....add those to my 42 and 60 inchers...overkill, eh? I will probably offer one or two of the bars for sale. The 3120 is going on my new Alpine Magnum stumpgrinder that will be ready 3/21.

Im not sold on rental saws I seen my dumb a** neighbor rent a poulan pro to cut the ice flows off of his steel barn roof. He did come over and ask to use one of my saws first but I told him they were in the shop, offered some good stihl mix gas tho but he said there was plenty of weed wacker gas left over from the previous summer. I dont know what condition saw was returned in but I would not buy it...

The saw is in awesome condition. Has not a single possible problem, except the clutch could have been smoked, but it appears fine and probably is. Besides, the jug and piston are going to be replaced.

As well, several others here have bought HD 6401's with no problems.

Back