local prices for chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I realize most of us here sharpen our own.
Based on discussion in the chain saw forum I'm seeing quotes of "4.50", "5.50", "$7 for 30" "

I called my local Stihl dealer, Alexandria, Va. - $12 for 20"

What's your prices and locality?

thanks in advance.

I just found a place that does them for $6 any size But I was paying $8 for 18" and up for larger chains. I only take them in if I rock them or something like that.

Although Australian I charge about USD$4 for any chain under 20". USD$8-10 above that but I do vary pricing dependant on the customer. In my area 20" is classed as a long bar :)
Chainsaws are a sideline business for me so I don't have to charge as much as my opposition. Dealers charge USD$8-14 around here.

I charge $4 for chains under 16" and $5 for everything else.

The cheapest place I found in my area from a dealer is $6, and up from there. One charges $16 for anything over 28"

The majority of chain lengths is 20" in 3/8 and 16" in .325 pitch. From what I found is that if someone has a saw to pull a 24" bar or longer he has a pro saw, and takes care of his own chains.

$6.50 any chain from a Stihl dealer. They also do full price on the first chain, half price on every other chain you purchase that transaction.

Wow, thats pricy.

That makes me wonder if I could start something like $6-7 a chain. You send it to me, I send it back...

Gets me wondering.

i didnt even bother asking about my 36" milling chains! i give him some business once in a while but ive got my own bills to pay,dont need any more mouths to feed.

flat rate boxes would be the ticket.say looking to do some mail order sharping?

Local JD/Stihl dealer charges $3 for any size chain. I thought about taking the chain off my 44" bar, but I don't want to gamble on a $40 chain.

Time for a little summary - (pronouns are for original responder, not me):

Alexandria, Va. - $12 for 20", Stihl dealer

Michigan - $6 any size But I was paying $8 for 18"

Any size for $15 in NB Canada.

Riverland, South Australia - Australian I charge about USD$4 for any chain under 20". USD$8-10 above that

Hamilton Michigan - I charge $4 for chains under 16" and $5 for everything else.

Pa - $6.50 any chain from a Stihl dealer

ludowici,georgia -$10 for 24" or less.

Toledo Ohio - a local guy a couple dozen chains $3 each if under 20"

$4 for 18"...Northern Minnesota

note for comparison - Baileys sells a 20" loop of 3/8, 0.50 30RC for $15. $3 more than my local shop charges to sharpen. Or $0.22/link if they build it for you (any length), a 100' reel is $250 or about $0.15/link.

For anyone thinking of setting up a mailorder service - USPS will ship a small box up to 70lbs. for $10 round trip.

southern MN-$8. off, $9. on the saw. A couple of other shops switched to per cutter, seen one at .18, one at .21, another at .22. That would add up quick.

Latest posts

Back