Locust tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Rules

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I cut down a locust tree in my yard last fall and it was a alive tree. Now I have an issue with hundreds of small trees trying to spur from the live roots, is there an easy way to fix this issue. I mow once a week and the saplings are 6 - 10 inches within a week every week.:bang::angry::bang::bang:

Last edited:
whats the easiest way to burn one out?:msp_unsure:

Put a stack off Charcoal briquettes on it. soak 'em down with diesel, and let it burn.

In about 2 hours, move the pile of coals and add to it if needed.

Crossbow, 2-4-D, Tordon wont kill the grass if ya go that route.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Black Locust has a copsing habit, i.e., saplings spring from the roots. Burning out the stump will accomplish nothing.

I had the same problem and other than mowing often I finally killed all the shoots by giving each one a dose of roundup...carefully to keep from killing a whole patch of grass. I carried a quart bottle of it on the riding mower. It's not that hard to dose individual ones but is time consuming. Took me several years before new ones quit sprouting.

Harry K

Locust Tress

I have the same scenario along the edges of some of my fields.

I did the same for a few years. Now I treat it differently when I cut down a Locust along the edge of the field.

As soon as you cut the locust, or within about 45 minuets; spray a 50/50 mix of Roundup/water on the stump. Make the stump wet, especially on the edges.

If you still have some trouble with maybe a stump you missed and have root shoots from an older cut, use this chemical and procedure. Cut each shoot close to the ground, and put a few drops of TORDON on that cut. Though, make the cut wet and make sure the edges are wet, but a few drops goes a long way. It will have a blue color, so you will see this.

The TORDON is about $15 a quart, but it really goes a long way.

It is better to treat the cut at the time of the first cutting. Believe me, I learned my lesson.

I will get me some Tordon thank you all very much for the great info I will handle locust differently in the future

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back