log jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobfeather

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just found this website today & it looks pretty neat
got 23 acres hardwood bush & have heated home for 26 yrs only with wood
furnace what i was wondering if any of you have ever built a log jack/ log rest for getting logs off the ground to cut & keep the chain out of the dirt
i know you can buy them at several locations but i hate buying stuff when i can fabricate it my self was hoping some one had a sketch or dimensions so i didn't have to di trial and error or sneak a tape measure into the locak TSC store
thanks
bob

I bought the unit from TSC, used it once and returned it. I bent the steel handle on the first log, and it wasn't a big log.

Timber jack, eh?

I bought the unit from TSC, used it once and returned it. I bent the steel handle on the first log, and it wasn't a big log.

Timber jack, eh?

Same thing happened to me. I wanted something more substantial but the only model TSC had at the time was the $34 all metal timberjack. I used it for about a week until the two-piece effort arm ripped apart in the middle. Now my local TSC carries a model with a beefy hardwood handle. Apparently they got a lot of requests for log/firewood tools after the remnants of Hurricane Ike blew through my area.

In the meantime, I decided to try the fiberglass handled model from Northern Tool. At the time, it was the same price as the wood handled model. It's done the job so far.

I've got one in the barn that never gets used. Too much trouble. I just cut the log 3/4 through and then roll it to finish it off.

Ian

They will work ok

On logs resembling telephone poles.. The log has to roll to be able to be lifted.. so on a crooked log or a treetop they are as worthless as breast on a boar hog.

Timber Jack

I bought one but the sleeve cracked. Here's before and after pics of the repair.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I used the timberjack with fixed foot, PITA, took it back. The tree has to roll as it lifts, and any tree that round is easier to just cut, then roll, then finish.

So I added a pivoting foot to my cant hook. about 6 inches high, it works great. Lifts log straight up without rolling, a few inches, then crib it up and saw away.

pic in photobucket.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq312/kevincj46/saw tools/CantHookWithFoot.jpg

having trouble attaching the picture in, invalid url. I will try again later.

k

I hate to buy something I can make, and hate to make something I don't need - I've gotten by 40 years without one of these, If you cut like Haywire said, this jack is one less thing to spend $$$ on & lug into the woods.

We used 'em before but they ended up being a big pain in the ass in the long run. At the end of the day it's all about production...and like was already mentioned it's easier and faster just to roll the log over after making as many 3/4 cuts as it takes.

Of course I'm speaking as just some joe that C&S's 15/20 cord a year for our own personal use. Now if that was my business or career...I'm might feel different.

TSC Timberjack

Timber jack, eh?

Wow, I got way further than you! I just bought the one from TSC over the weekend and gave it a go. Picked up the first two no sweat. The third log bent the thing in half.

Did I mention that the first two logs were little en's?

I have the cant hook and tie tongs with me anyway, so no extra space.
big stuff needs to be rolled one way or another and it hurts to much without the hook. but agreed, most of the time just cut and roll over.

k

thanks all very much for the insight & advice.
did not know that generally they were junk ( store bought ) or just dead weight to drag to the bush guess i'll just find a cant hook & roll them over like you said
bob

I myself have a Locust walking stick that usually helps me leaver them up onto a round that I have cut. It stays in the truck, dad only tried to burn it once. We had short words and we now have an understanding. Only burn that one when it breaks

I have a 98 acre plot that would have the possiblity of replacing it quickly upon it's demise.

I bought a log lift cant hook from Bailey's. It works great but my trees are very strait and not that big. But I do find I tend to use the cant hook more and the log lift less, but it is still attached to it. I find it the best for getting dead fall that is frozen to the ground.

Latest posts

Back