Log length help needed having trouble...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLM

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am having the worst time trying to find a source for log length fire wood delivered here on the Cape, I have seen the trucks running down the highway here with the back loaded with logs but I can never get a number because I am always going the other way. The last truck I just saw said A&A logging on the door, and I could not make out a number, but I tried the yellow pages all over the area and came up empty handed. Any body know where I can find A&A logging(ma, nh, ri??)? or any one to deliver a full truck load down here, my house is literally one minute from the hiway exit so its easy to get to with lots of room to work with unloading.

Go to the mill and catch a log truck out front, they may well deliver the next load to you- but they better have a self loader so they can unload you. Depends on who they're cutting for though (landowner, timberowner, etc.) Otherwise they should know someone cutting a landowner job who can sell you a load.

I am having the worst time trying to find a source for log length fire wood delivered here on the Cape, I have seen the trucks running down the highway here with the back loaded with logs but I can never get a number because I am always going the other way. The last truck I just saw said A&A logging on the door, and I could not make out a number, but I tried the yellow pages all over the area and came up empty handed. Any body know where I can find A&A logging(ma, nh, ri??)? or any one to deliver a full truck load down here, my house is literally one minute from the hiway exit so its easy to get to with lots of room to work with unloading.

How about a local tree service. I had a friend who would give me all the Oak and Hickory and any thing else I wanted free, to save him a trip to the dump. He would back up with his dump bed and dump it. I cut it up and split it and had all the fire wood I could use.

I think there are a couple of small saw mills with in a half hour of me maybe I should check with them to see who brings the wood down, Medic I have been using some of the tree guys but it depends on who they have working for them sometimes their guys don't want the wood but other times their own guys fight over it, kinda hit and miss, I figured I could just buy a full truck load and do less hunting for it. Next time I see the log truck down here I guess I will have to wheel the old F350 around like the General Lee to catch him :clap:

My suggestion is that you are looking for pulpwood rather than saw logs. But sawmills can sometimes have a pile of butt cuts where a stupid logger bucked his tree without maximiziung grade over volume- mill gets to buy a
12' grade 2 at $350/mbf and turn it into a 10' at $600/mbf. Lots of money can be wasted or made with good bucking. "value recovery".

Sawmills of course can have some slabs, but these are mostly bark and sapwood so not much for BTUs. HW Pulpwood is generally worth the equivalent of $120/mbf, or roughly $25/ton.

I think there are a couple of small saw mills with in a half hour of me maybe I should check with them to see who brings the wood down, Medic I have been using some of the tree guys but it depends on who they have working for them sometimes their guys don't want the wood but other times their own guys fight over it, kinda hit and miss, I figured I could just buy a full truck load and do less hunting for it. Next time I see the log truck down here I guess I will have to wheel the old F350 around like the General Lee to catch him :clap:

Hi GLM,

Where on the Cape are you located? Will be starting a job in Mattapoisett soon. Might be able to help depending on you location. shoot me an email
[email protected]

Craig

Craig I sent you an e-mail with my info, I wish I was a little closer to VT, I was up in the St Johnsbury area this fall and everyone had truck loads of logs in their yards. I was hoping that the saw mills might get me some info on the guys that run down this way at least thats a start, the harwood is either feast or famine and I try to stay just ahead of the famine. Maybe I will just have to move north I guess :)

there may be a consulting firm working for a private land owner looking to get rid of some crap wood in your area.
thats a place to start...

Just out of curiosity, what are people paying for log length these days?? What are people seeing it go for?

I have gotten a couple of quotes for triaxle loads coming out of southern NH into Nothern Mass. One wanted $600 and the other wanted $750. Another guy I know wants $80 a cord.

Just out of curiosity, what are people paying for log length these days?? What are people seeing it go for?

Around here it is free, some one else paid to get it hauled out of their yard. I guess it is all a matter of where you live.

It is not delivered immediately on order. I do have to wait until the guy has a job near my house, but when he has wood he calls me.

Craig I sent you an e-mail with my info, I wish I was a little closer to VT, I was up in the St Johnsbury area this fall and everyone had truck loads of logs in their yards. I was hoping that the saw mills might get me some info on the guys that run down this way at least thats a start, the harwood is either feast or famine and I try to stay just ahead of the famine. Maybe I will just have to move north I guess :)

I've had 3 different families off the Cape move up this way in the last 5 years or so. Tell me they just got priced out of the area.

We're getting $90 a cord tree length 5 cord minimum. Used to do 8's and 4's but not worth the slashing time anymore.

northeast mass

Looking to buy 100 plus cords this season willing to pay 80 per cord for pulp hardwood. like everyone i would like 6-18'' logs but we can take a few logs all the way up to 24'' range with in reason. Email me [email protected] or pm me here at AS

Hi GLM,

We are supposed to be starting a clearing job in Mattapoisett soon, my buddy has the Log truck and I don't know if he'll go to brewster, I will check with him and let you know.

Craig

Thanks Craig, if it works out great, if not oh well. I'm not fussy I will take 2"-48" and anything in between, let me know if it might work out. If I had a gooseneck for my truck I would travel to get some but a one ton at a time is not the way to go with diesel at $3.73. Gotta fill the truck right up to make it worth while. I need to move a little farther north and get out of here, every thing is to expensive and only getting worse. Thanks again Jon.

Latest posts

Back