log lift question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have my log lift fabricated and mostly installed on my splitter (sorry for the cell phone pic). What do you guys think about plumbing this with 3/8" hydraulic quick connects? I would hard mount them out of harms way and be able to remove the lift for towing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

More pics (and better quality) to come!!!

It should be no problem at all, but most I've seen just extend em all the way up for transport.

It should be no problem at all, but most I've seen just extend em all the way up for transport.

Was thinking of that to. I think I still might need quick connects to stand it all the way up and not have alot of extra hose- also I suspect it would be a tad top heavy, it tows ok now (back roads no more than 40 mph) but lift and cylinder are going to add a 100 pounds give or take.

I see some expanded metal laying on the floor. You are going to put that on so the lift can double as a table...correct? Nice work!

A couple of things:
QD's should pose no problem if you so choose to use them. The raised table should not be a problem with making it top heavy. It is weight that is darn near centered to your axle, so it should ride well.

Allowing it to be a work table is also a good idea, but I will caution you about using expanded metal. It will have a tendency to "grip" the logs when you try to slide them. Use a solid plate if possible, it will allow the logs to "slide" much better.

Just one dudes opinion.

If it were me, I would fabricate to transport in the upright position. Balance should be good and quick couplers are another fitting and another possible leak area.

Make yourself a work/catch table on the opposite side of the splitter beam. Make it mount the exact same position and mount as the lift, use swivel fitting on the lift cylinder and you can can switch working sides of the splitter very easily. You may have to make a second mounting point for beam end of the lift cylinder on the opposite side, no biggie, located your control valve so they can opperated from either side. I mounted mind directly over the splitter cylinder, it can be operated from either side or from the foot end of the beam....really handy...you can find picture if you search for my post...with pull pins instead of bolts you can quickly remove both lift and work/catch table for transporting....

Looking good...

====

See pictures in this thread

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/181908.htm#post3190264

Last edited:
Flat plate can be too slippery. Nothing sits still on it due to vibrations. My own splitter has plate. I don't believe it is the answer.

Flat plate can be too slippery. Nothing sits still on it due to vibrations. My own splitter has plate. I don't believe it is the answer.

Ummm... mine don't...just say'in. I like to be able to grab the log and just slide it where I want without a fight.

(Dude - fix whats vibrating - that ain't right.)

With my log splitter I just raise the lift all the way up and I put ratcheting strap on just in case the hydrauilics give way while I'm on the road. I don't think it's necessary to take it off.

Since you can obviously weld, this won't be hard to "fix". Unless you can build an outfeed table that goes right into the truck bed.

Got one :rock:

DSCF0004.jpg

Well this how she originaly looked. Still working on lift (no time :msp_angry:) I will figure out how to get get an outfeed table next.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Latest posts

Back