Log loading?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captndavie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone load logs on a trailer with a winch? What is your technique? I have a winch that is mounted on the front bumper of my vehicle and not on the trailer. I would like to be able to get the logs loaded up and then work them up as time permits at the house.

Just thinking about it, never built one, but you would need to pull up as much as in, so fab out a piece in the back near the tongue so the cable can go through that. Something vertical, maybe a little horizontal at the top, then a pulley or whatever. That way you should be able to stack the logs. A straight pull in you could only go one log high at the best, even using a ramp.

i'm sorry that I can't find the pictures but someone here posted a picture of his trailer that he had attached a pivoting arch (similar to an A frame) that pivoted close to the center of the trailer via a winch at the front. The winch pulled the log and then pivoted the frame. As the frame pivoted it lifted the log clear of the trailer and skidded it on the trailer. Real simple idea. It could probably be modified to use your front mounted winch and a front trailer hitch provided you could keep everything straight. Ron

On flat bed trailers without fenders or with really stout fenders, I load logs by hooking two chains to the sides of the trailer (one in front of the front tire and one behind the rear tire). I lay the chains out straight and roll a log on to them. I wrap the chains over the logs and hook another long chain or cable to the chains and drape it across the trailer. I then pull the chain/cable and the log just rolls up to the trailer, climbs the tires/fender and is loaded. Pretty simple one man operation which should be done on level ground. Ron

i'm sorry that I can't find the pictures but someone here posted a picture of his trailer that he had attached a pivoting arch (similar to an A frame) that pivoted close to the center of the trailer via a winch at the front. The winch pulled the log and then pivoted the frame. As the frame pivoted it lifted the log clear of the trailer and skidded it on the trailer. Real simple idea. It could probably be modified to use your front mounted winch and a front trailer hitch provided you could keep everything straight. Ron

Simple, lo-tech, effective application of physics....me likey!

Depending on the size of the trailer, how long does it take to buck them on-site? It's a lot easier to load (and unload) rounds versus logs. Just sayin'.

Depending on the size of the trailer, how long does it take to buck them on-site? It's a lot easier to load (and unload) rounds versus logs. Just sayin'.

I tote logs that I save up for lumber and I tote logs that others are going to buck. Usually, but not always, I buck my firewood at the tree. Ron

One of the best things i have ever done was to build a tailgate for my trailer that i can roll logs up on.(mostly for saw logs for my mill)
It can be used for firewood large rounds also.
Usually i will buck firewood onsite and split off the trailer,it's one less time you have to lift that log easier on your back and you leave saw chips elsewhere and split wood will dry faster than rounds.
95% of the time i am alone loading if a log is too big i use a Cant hook (Peavey).

I've loaded some pretty large logs (30" dia x 8') like this.

You need to get one end of the log a couple inches off the ground and in a direction that will allow you to back the trailer up to it. Wrap a strong long rope or cable (choker) around the log.
Unhitch the trailer and tilt the back end down and under the end of the log. Then block the wheels firmly so the trailer can't move forward.

Run the rope through the trailer and out the front, then tie to your vehicle and carefully begin pulling. Pull the log forward until the trailer is balanced enough to repeat for the second log. You can add a second layer as long as you can get the end of the next log on top of the first layer. You could also do this with the winch but in your case, you'd have to turn the truck around.

I pull logs all the time into my 16ft trailer, and I use a Warn portable 3500 winch. Along with its own battery I can move it anywhere I want in the trailer, and have gotten pretty quick in getting a load of logs into my trailer.

If I am loading only enough logs to cover the bottom, I generally pull the logs in from the back with a ramp.Using a piece of pipe for a roller, I can pull them pretty quick and be down the road in a jiffy.But if I am going to haul more than what can fit on the bottom, I load from the side.

I pull up alongside the logs and move the winch to the opposite side. Then I drop two ramps made of 2X12 with a 2X4 turned edgewise screwed to the bottom to give it some strength on the edge and haul em in over the side.

I generally buck on site and load up, but there are many places I get firewood from that wont allow saws to be used on site. Here is a pic of some bigguns being pulled into my trailer at our local mill that gives away all the red oak cut offs for free, but wont allow any saws to be used on site.

attachment.php

and here is the rig itself. And no, I dont pull a load with the cable all spooled up crazy, that is an "end of the day" pic where all you want is to get the cable spooled up and get the heck home.

attachment.php

View attachment 254595

View attachment 254594

Avalancher, do you have a pic of your tailgate and pipe roller setup?

No, I dont have a pic, but its easy enough to see in the minds eye. Picture a flat bed wagon like they have in the lumber department at lowes or home depot. When i was back in Alabama, we had a Home Depot move their store, and they threw out every single one of those steel flat bed wagons when they moved, heaved em all into the dumpster.I asked the guy if I could have one, and he said, "Shoot, take em all, save us the dumping fee" so I loaded up thirty of those wagons. All diamond plate steel, and heavy. Took em all down to the metal recyclers and cashed in, and saved five of for around the place. Cut the wheels and handlebars off of one, and it became my loading ramp. The roller is nothing more than a piece of four inch pipe.

You can kinda see the ramp here

attachment.php

View attachment 254924

I took 2 pieces of angle and bolted a couple of pieces to them that bolt in the last 3 trailer pockets.The top forms an A frame with a large bolt thru it to hold it in place.A clevis is put on the center of this bolt,and the wench is attached to the clevis.You drop it down like the boom on a wrecker.I then put a chain around the log and attach a chain fall(or come-a-long)between the clevis and the log.I pick the log up with the chain fall and when it clears the back of the trailer high enough I winch up the boom(A frame) that puts it about 3 feet on the trailer.I then unhook and attach the winch to the log and pull it the rest of the way on.The bolts that are holding the A frame in the pockets are loose enough to allow it to pivot,yet will allow the A frame to stand up by itself while you pull the log on.I can load as many as 6 to 8 large logs on using this.They can be up to 16 foot long and I have loaded a couple up to 3 feet in diam.

I use the parbuckle method.Tie my chains to the ralis on the off side that I'm loading from go across the trailer, under the logs then back across the trailer to my trcactor, which I use to pull up the skid poles leaning against the trailer.Pulls them right on up.You can even stack them like this, if your trailer will carry them.I have some pictures somewhere.These winch ideas sound like they would be easier on the trailer,though.

this is how I would do it. Logging - YouTube

I would pull the truck perpendicular to the trailer and run the cable over the top/side of the trailer.

The pivoting "a-frame" lift looks like it performs very very well.

Google "Deadheader Log Lifter" and you'll find what I'm talking about. I've used parbuckling for both loading and unloading the trailer and although it's effective, I'll stick to using a Bobcat with forks. Much quicker.

Here's how we load (and unload)

BIL and I do some work together. He has an 18' car hauler, around 14K gross weight. We use a 6' section of roller conveyor, butt on the ground, front on the trailer. Roll the log onto the butt end of the conveyor, disconnect and chock the trailer, and pull the logs up the conveyer and onto the trailer with the truck. We loaded a couple 16' 30" DBH red oaks last week. Works like a champ. On site, we chain them to my truck, set the park brake, and pull the trailer out from under the logs, 1 at a time.

Latest posts

Back